Initial fertility assessment - what is involved?

Hello,
I am new to this forum and looking for support and for information.

I am 36, single and ttc.
My cycles are now 45-60 days and totally irregular for the past year. They used to be somewhere around 33-45 days. I had ovarian cyst rupture about 18 years ago, and a lot of the time I was getting midcycle pains, but haven’t had them this past year.

A few years back I was given Clomid for when I was thinking to conceive at the time, but I split with my bf, so never even tried Clomid. Bottomline, I am starting on my own. All I know so far is I have microprolactinoma, which was managed for four weeks with Cabergoline, although that endocrinologist said I should continue taking it until I conceive. I stopped taking it though, no good reason really other than thinking this kind of advice should come from someone in OB/RE field.

Anyone has a list of tests to do before I find out the health of my system?
I need to switch my obgyn, so I can’t really ask them.
Do I just go to new obgyn? go directly to RE?
Does anyone know if insurance treats ultrasound differently if it’s at obgyn or at RE?

I am in Northern CA.
Sending lots of :babydust: to all!

Hi Gingit,
I dont have answers to your questions, I just started last month myself, I am 41 though. There are few things to think about. Even if you switch ob gyn and get the tests done at the current doc, all the record could be transferred to your new ob gyn or re. I am seeing an re, after talking to my primary care physician. At my re; they did blood work on 3rd day of my cycle as well as ultrasound (U/S). In blood work they check; TSH, Prolactin, RPR, FSH, Estrogen, Hep B, Hep C, Cytomegalovirus, AMH. They did blood work again on day 11; Estrogen, FSH, Estrogen and U/S (sonogram). They also did HSG, having dye in uterus and fallopian tubes to see the structure and any blockage is there or not. I have high FSH, normal E, and low AMH, party related to my age. My periods have always been regular and I do ovulate at my own. The point I am making is that how the doctor proceeds depends upon a lot of things and varies person to person. As far as payments, it depends on what insurance you have and what State you live in. I live in NY so, dont know the laws in Ca. Another suggestion I would have it to post this post also on the thread; Single and trying to conceive, a lot of ladies have gone through different things and you might get more of a response.
GL, hope things work out good for you, I wish I could be more of a help to you.
Farah

Thank you, Farah!

The list of tests that you went through is very useful.
I will definitely use that.

I think I will try obgyn first just to get my period more regular and to get ovulation. I think for a 55-60 day period, I only ovulate on cd45 or so.

:babydust: to ALL.
I would really like to find likeminded single and ttc in CA. (I thought this was already the forum for ‘single and ttc’).

[QUOTE=gingit]Thank you, Farah!

The list of tests that you went through is very useful.
I will definitely use that.

I think I will try obgyn first just to get my period more regular and to get ovulation. I think for a 55-60 day period, I only ovulate on cd45 or so.

:babydust: to ALL.
I would really like to find likeminded single and ttc in CA. (I thought this was already the forum for ‘single and ttc’).[/QUOTE]

It is the forum, but sometimes if people has less time then they only look at the main thread. Just a suggestion.
:babydust: to you!