Insurance coverage in Texas

Can anyone help me with insurance companies in Texas that cover infertility treatment?? I google and of course nothing really tells me what I want to see…hoping someone on here can give me a better idea. I work for the State so of course, zero coverage. We are considering getting our own policy that covers IF…but I want to weigh the cost of the policy vs paying out of pocket. What about group coverage? Anyone know of any Texas companies that cover IF with their plan?? Any help would be appreciated!

I have heard that the Texas Cattleman’s association has a plan that members can buy and it covers IVF. But I have not looked into it. and the only requirement is that you live in texas.

you can try that for a private group pay option.

Good luck!

[quote=Spenanelson]I have heard that the Texas Cattleman’s association has a plan that members can buy and it covers IVF. But I have not looked into it. and the only requirement is that you live in texas.

you can try that for a private group pay option.

Good luck![/quote]

Thank you so much for your reply, I checked their site and it appears that they only offer to ranchers and their families; this does not apply to me.
I’ll keep checking around but the internet does not give you much information on this, surprisingly!

We live in TX and have United Healthcare Choice Plus plan and they cover fertility treatments. We have the plan through my DH work so not certain about individual plans but something to check into. Good Luck!

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into that. Does your DH work for a small business or a larger TX company?

I live in Texas and have Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance. They cover up to $25,000 in infertility treatment and $5000 in infertility meds. I work for a large pipeline construction company.

I have bcbs too. But it’s not covered. I’m a teacher. I know that if u work with city of McAllen (where I live) they cover. But unsure if all cities cover.

Just thought I’d add my two cents in here…

Although you’re in TX (we are too), sadly it’s not going to matter if you locate an insurance company that offers the coverage or not. Texas is a mandate to offer state only. Meaning it’s up to the employer to carry the coverage.

If the employers HQ’s are in another location or they are self-insured they don’t have to offer it. That’s why you’ll see one person with the same carrier as you with different benefits.

We have BCBS, but DH’s employer doesn’t offer the coverage. They will cover up to the diagnosis of IF. So nothing for fertility meds, zero for IVF/IUI. They covered everything else, surprisingly.

In a nutshell, it’s all going to depend on who your employer is and what they offer as far as coverage.

As for purchasing your own group plan, to my knowledge, you’d have to carry a “rider” of sorts to offer the coverage. From what I understand (or what’s been explained to me) there will still be a waiting period.

Good luck! :flower:

Thanks for the replies! I know about the difference in coverages employer to employer, dh is already looking for another job for other reasons so I was just checking if I should push him somewhere :slight_smile:
I figured there would be a waiting period but I wanted to inquire about it because we will be going on a break anyway so I wanted to do a cost analysis of paying for insurance vs paying for treatment out of pocket. Thanks again for the replies, I plan to get some quotes soon!