Is SHG necessary if HSG came out normal

Hi All,

My RE informed she wants to do a Sonohysterogram(SHG). She has seen my HSG film and told it was quite normal, the tubes and everything. So is there a necessity of SHG if HSG is unremarkable?

Appreciate your replies!
Thanks!

I may be wrong, but I think the HSG shoots dye through the tubes to make sure they’re clear. However, the SHG (which I’ve had twice) fills the uterus with saline – my doctor said about to the size of a 4 month pregnancy – so they can see abnormalities and intrusions in the uterine cavity, like tumors and polyps which can interfere with implantation or otherwise prevent pregnancy. The uterus is normally collapsed upon itself so they can’t see lumps and bumps inside it with a regular ultrasound. Since I never had an HSG, I don’t know if that also affords the doctor the opportunity to see the uterus in the same way – perhaps it does, but I don’t know.

SHG checks the uterus and the HSG will check the tubes. It is important to have both yes.

I have a very nice HSG results with clear tubes, but i needed a SHG to check my uterus.

I had both and since they check two different things they can help give a clearer picture of what’s going on. My second HSG showed the presence of a uterine polyp and the SHG was able to confirm how big it was. I would trust your doctor.

I turned the SHG down before my IVF. I had the HSG done and things looked completely normal. Ask your doctor to explain the reasoning behind the test and if it is absolutely necessary if you are doubting doing it. I talked it over with my RE, and my IVF nurse and all were on board with me skipping it. Unless they detected a polyp or fibroid or something in your uterus then I would discuss the reason behind doing it.

Thanks for your replies. I have my blood work

On Tuesday. May be I can discuss with the RE then.

But would they accept it? And if they convince some way what should I respond ?

[QUOTE=vg999]Thanks for your replies. I have my blood work

On Tuesday. May be I can discuss with the RE then.

But would they accept it? And if they convince some way what should I respond ?[/QUOTE]

Any test you feel hesitant about performing is worth discussing with your doctor. I questioned the need for an SHG after my HSG showed clear tubes and uterus. My reasoning was that after my HSG I was allowed to do 6 IUI’s, and only when I moved to IVF did they want to do the SHG. When I asked for a reason why after being allowed to do all the IUI’s they suddenly wanted to perform the test, there was no real serious reason behind doing it, so they said I did not have to.

I would be all for it if there was concern of a fibroid or polyp, but everything up to that point was clear, so I opted out. Even though my IVF did not work out, it had nothing to do with doing or not doing the test.

Don’t be afraid to ask what the need of the test is for! It’s your body that they are putting through all these pokes and prods, so you have a right to know why everything is being done! I’m sure if your RE thinks it’s necessary s/he will have a good reasoning as to why.

Incidentally my HSG and SHG didn’t catch that my left tube was kinked - it was open but kinked, which was found out during a laparoscopy. I’m one that wanted to find out everything and if that meant being pocked and prodded I went forward with it.