Is spotting in early pregnancy related to physical activity?

I’m 5 weeks, 3 days today and on Thursday night, I had some pink spotting. Today I had bright red bleeding, I would say slightly heaver than spotting but not by much. It tapered off after about an hour. What I noticed was that my spotting Thur night happened after a busy day of being on my feet a lot due to the Thanksgiving holiday, and then also going for a walk where I ended up having to carry my son’s bike. It’s not heavy, probably less than 10 lbs but I carried it for awhile. This morning, I vacuumed with my heavy Dyson vacuum and my bleeding started about an hour after. Is this just a coincidence or could my physical activity, which doesn’t seem like much, be causing it? I’m scared and nervous and can’t wait for my ultrasound to make sure everything is okay. Thank you!!

I would recommend not vacumning.

Alphie do you go to the doctor this morning?

Diana, no, they told me just to call back if it gets worse or happens again and it hasn’t done either. If it happens again, they’ll probably do an u/s but for now, I’m just waiting it out and :cross::cross: it doesn’t happen again.

Glad it hasnt happen again. I will be praying for you and your jelly bean(s).

Are you on progesterone suppositories? I know they’ve caused a lot of people to have spotting issues. I spotted the whole first trimester w/DS due to the suppositories, but my RE & OB told me to take it easy too. I know that’s easier said than done when you already have a LO at home. Good luck.

[QUOTE=Alphie]I’m 5 weeks, 3 days today and on Thursday night, I had some pink spotting. Today I had bright red bleeding, I would say slightly heaver than spotting but not by much. It tapered off after about an hour. What I noticed was that my spotting Thur night happened after a busy day of being on my feet a lot due to the Thanksgiving holiday, and then also going for a walk where I ended up having to carry my son’s bike. It’s not heavy, probably less than 10 lbs but I carried it for awhile. This morning, I vacuumed with my heavy Dyson vacuum and my bleeding started about an hour after. Is this just a coincidence or could my physical activity, which doesn’t seem like much, be causing it? I’m scared and nervous and can’t wait for my ultrasound to make sure everything is okay. Thank you!![/QUOTE]

Spotting could be related to physical activity but not necessarily. I was told that implantation bleeding/spotting can go off and on for much of the 1st trimester. If you’re on suppositories, be careful when inserting them because the applicator could hit the uterine wall and cause bleeding.

Also, I found that early on in my pregnancy, I would go for light walks around the neighborhood (usually walks would be much longer, faster and hillier) and later that day I’d bleed red – kind of what you’re talking about.

I’ve found that swimming doesn’t cause bleeding – but the weather is a bit cool right now for that. Therefore, my “workouts” were reduced to stretching my calves. I now spend most of my days on the couch or in bed because my back hurts a lot.

I think the previous poster meant to say the applicator could hit the cervix and cause bleeding – no way is it hitting the uterine wall. The cervix is very tender at this stage and bleeds very easily – exercise could very easily irritate it causing spotting. There are lots of reasons for spotting in pregnancy, most of which are benign, but I would also call your doctor anytime it happens.

Congrats!! Best wishes for a happy and healthy nine (ten) months! :slight_smile:

BabiesAreCute, essemkay, and jesspr79 - thank you for all of your reassurance. I am using Endometrin suppositories but without the applicator. My clinic told me to do it that way b/c they’ve seen so much cervical irritation with the applicator. It’s funny, everything you read on the internet says bright red blood is a bad sign, but it makes sense to me that irritation to the cervix would cause bright red blood. I’m feeling much better since it resolved yesterday and hasn’t occurred today.
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

And BabiesAreCute, just wanted to say congratulations on your triplets, I wish you the best for the remainder of your pregnancy to be healthy and smooth. :cross::cross: