Is there a special PCOS diet?

I am wondering if there is a special diet those diagnosed with PCOS should be on that helps… regulate… keep it in control… I have heard that PCOS should be treated like diabetes… any truth to that?

I am having a devil of a time loosing weight with this PCOS and yet am told I will have a much grater chance of pregnancy success if I loose 30-50 pounds. Other than being on Metphormine and working out… I don’t know what to do!

Opinions and advice please!

Hi Nuby,
Women with PCOS frequently have insulin resistence, meaning your body responds sluggishly or not at all to insulin. This can cause glucose to build up in the blood, and consistently high levels of glucose in the blood can lead to type 2 diabetes. That’s the connection between PCOS and diabetes.

There is no cure for PCOS, but it can be managed. One of the ways to do this is my making lifestyle changes and diet modifications. Since many women with PCOS are overweight, losing weight in a healthy way through diet and exercise can lessen the effects and improve fertility. There is no drastic, scary diet though…it is simply making healthier decisions and filling your body with natural foods.

Some healthy eating tips:

-Replace white, processed carbohydrates like white bread, rice, pasta and sugars with whole grain options, like brown rice, quinoa and sprouted grains. White sugars cause a spike in insulin levels while providing no nutrients.

-Complex carbohydrates will also provide you with the fiber your body needs, as opposed to simple carbs.

-Eat a diet rich in lean proteins, from lean chicken and fish, as well as from plant sources, like beans and lentils.

-Consume plenty of healthy fats, from olive oil, nuts, fish, and vegetables like avocado.

Along with these diet changes, exercise is also critical to the process. Adding in a little every day will help you lose those pounds and get in shape. I bet you’ll even start craving these healthy foods when you experience how good they make you feel and how much more energy you have!
The good news is you CAN get control and manage your PCOS! It just takes a little work and commitment.

Good luck!