Is there any benefit to Birth Control in an IVF cycle?

Hi There - Does anyone know if it is more effective to work with your natural cycle for an IVF or leverage birth control leading up to IVF? I am learning that different RE’s handle this differently. My current practice “batches” patients for IVF treatments by putting them on birth control following their period and leading up to IVF. They have said that this also helps your ovaries “rest” prior to IVF.

However, I am considering switching RE’s to a different practice and learned that they work with your natural cycle for IVF and do not use birth control.

Does anyone know if one approach is more effective than the other?

I want to make this IVF cycle count to its fullest!!

[QUOTE=pregonow]Hi There - Does anyone know if it is more effective to work with your natural cycle for an IVF or leverage birth control leading up to IVF? I am learning that different RE’s handle this differently. My current practice “batches” patients for IVF treatments by putting them on birth control following their period and leading up to IVF. They have said that this also helps your ovaries “rest” prior to IVF.

However, I am considering switching RE’s to a different practice and learned that they work with your natural cycle for IVF and do not use birth control.

I want to make this IVF cycle count to its fullest!![/QUOTE]

Mostly it’s done to prevent a dominant folli and make sure your eggs all grow together. What is your Amh, fsh, and afc?

I have dor and have always done bc before and it’s worked nicely for me.

I am doing birth control before my cycle - Reclipsen is the brand…just JennJack said my RE said it was so all the follicles would start at the same size at the beginning of the cycle. So all of them are nice and small - it’s for suppression.

I don’t have dor or pcos, but my dr wsnted all follicles to grow at the same pace and it worked.

[QUOTE=pregonow]Hi There - Does anyone know if it is more effective to work with your natural cycle for an IVF or leverage birth control leading up to IVF? I am learning that different RE’s handle this differently. My current practice “batches” patients for IVF treatments by putting them on birth control following their period and leading up to IVF. They have said that this also helps your ovaries “rest” prior to IVF.

I want to make this IVF cycle count to its fullest!![/QUOTE]

I am considering the same thing. If my RE insists on birth control on the next cycle then I am seriously considering switching. Hopefully, there willnot be another cycle. I found a different RE with good success rates that doesn’t make their patients go on birth control.

The crazy thing is that I still had a dominant follicle that was 33 at the last ultrasound before retrieval and since I am older with limited eggs, suppressing my eggs are last thing I think I need. Although I value my RE’s opinion and I know she is excellent at what she does, I am not comfortable with the birth control so I will find a RE that is comfortable with makes me feel comfortable.

My RE always told me its simply used to batch patients and the the uniformity excuse is just that an excuse is that true I have no idea … I have pcos and have never been on bcp. I’ve gotten pregnant 2/3 cycles and never had a dominant follie each with about 20 mature eggs

For those who go through IVF, it is not only contraceptive pills that make difference. It is also how muc of other meds you are taking. I was given BC ut also, my new dr. reduced gonal 3 times than what I was used to be given. My results became better than with the other drs.