IUI after failed IVF?

Hi,
So, I am trying to decide what to do after a recent chemical from IVF #2 in June 2013…another round of IVF with current RE or switch RE’s and do IUI…
Here is my story: I have stage I or II endo (not sure which one). My gyne recommended I see a fertility doctor before DH and I ever tried naturally. We go to RE in April 2013, and to our shock, RE recommended IVF right off the bat which was overwhelming for us. The only thing we knew at the time was that I had endo and have had some health problems from a car accident (spine issues and CRPS (nerve condition), but nothing else related to fertility). I just turned 31 in June. Then, we come to find out after further testing by RE that I have very low AMH 0.2 :frowning: :frowning: So we started with IVF right away…
IVF #1 May 2013 was cancelled for no response. I had been suppressed for a year of being on the pill continuously for treatment of endo and we think this may have contributed to my poor response.
IVF#2 June 2013 went better: MDL with HGH; 7 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI and 2 transferred. But unfortunately ended in a chemical and the other 2 embies did not make it to freeze.
Current RE recommends that we do IVF again in Oct 2013 after 3 months of DHEA; I am also adding in Co-q-10, melatonin, fish oil with vit D, wheatgrass and royal jelly…
2nd opinion RE thinks it is crazy we rushed right into IVF and thinks I should do clomid and/or femara IUI…
I cannot for the life of me decide what is better! RE Clinic #1 recommending IVF is a large university clinic and has very standardized procedures; RE Clinic #2 recommending IUI is a smaller more personalized clinic… $$ is a consideration too…I only get 4 IVF cycles with my insurance. IVF 1 did not count but I want to be smart with the 3 IVF cycles I have left with my insurance…any advice or success stories???
also, do you guys try naturally in between cycles? any natural success stories from people in between treatments?
thanks so much!!!

[quote=kwy813]Hi,
So, I am trying to decide what to do after a recent chemical from IVF #2 in June 2013…another round of IVF with current RE or switch RE’s and do IUI…
Here is my story: I have stage I or II endo (not sure which one). My gyne recommended I see a fertility doctor before DH and I ever tried naturally. We go to RE in April 2013, and to our shock, RE recommended IVF right off the bat which was overwhelming for us. The only thing we knew at the time was that I had endo and have had some health problems from a car accident (spine issues and CRPS (nerve condition), but nothing else related to fertility). I just turned 31 in June. Then, we come to find out after further testing by RE that I have very low AMH 0.2 :frowning: :frowning: So we started with IVF right away…
IVF #1 May 2013 was cancelled for no response. I had been suppressed for a year of being on the pill continuously for treatment of endo and we think this may have contributed to my poor response.
IVF#2 June 2013 went better: MDL with HGH; 7 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI and 2 transferred. But unfortunately ended in a chemical and the other 2 embies did not make it to freeze.
Current RE recommends that we do IVF again in Oct 2013 after 3 months of DHEA; I am also adding in Co-q-10, melatonin, fish oil with vit D, wheatgrass and royal jelly…
2nd opinion RE thinks it is crazy we rushed right into IVF and thinks I should do clomid and/or femara IUI…
I cannot for the life of me decide what is better! RE Clinic #1 recommending IVF is a large university clinic and has very standardized procedures; RE Clinic #2 recommending IUI is a smaller more personalized clinic… $$ is a consideration too…I only get 4 IVF cycles with my insurance. IVF 1 did not count but I want to be smart with the 3 IVF cycles I have left with my insurance…any advice or success stories???
also, do you guys try naturally in between cycles? any natural success stories from people in between treatments?
thanks so much!!![/quote]

I tend to think being more aggressive is probably a better approach, i.e., IVF. How are the stat rates for each of the clinics? I absolutely would try naturally between cycles. I see where people have success when they least expect it. But, I wouldn’t let that deter you from more aggressive measures.

Thanks Houston, I am leaning towards more aggressive too. Congrats on your recent BFP!

[quote=kwy813]Hi,
thanks so much!!![/quote]

Hi Kwy, I can completely empathize with you, as we only have 3 IVF cycles left through insurance, and want to make the most of them. Just wanted to mention that we are gearing up for another IVF in the fall once we get a second opinion next week, and I’m working on losing my weight I gained from IVF#2. In the meantime, we are TTC using injectables and TI. Since these cycles aren’t using up those precious insurance cycles, it still gives a better chance than TTC naturally, but its much less stressful. (Although, I have to say found out this cycle was a BFN rather early, and that part is still not fun). The good thing about you doing IUI in the meantime is that you can continue test your bodies response to the stims without investing in a whole IVF cycle so you will know when you are back on track after stopping the BCPs. Is Femara and injectable? I would recommend that over the Clomid since it would be similar to what you will be doing with IVF. That way, once you are ready to get into IVF, you will have even more data behind you. You will make the right decision. Wishing you the best!