IUI and low sperm count

My husbands count is 11 per mL pre wash. Everything else checks out fine. The RE says to go right to IVF. I am thinking about giving An IUI a few tries first. Am I wasting my time and money?

If that’s what you want to try and you’re up for it - go for it! I think overall IVF has better statistics than IUI but it’s definitely less intense… not to mention less expensive. If you feel like that’s what you want to do I say give it a go and you can always change courses next cycle if you change your mind.

GOOD LUCK!

[QUOTE=Chrispat]My husbands count is 11 per mL pre wash. Everything else checks out fine. The RE says to go right to IVF. I am thinking about giving An IUI a few tries first. Am I wasting my time and money?[/QUOTE]

If he has 11 million per ml, how many ml does he usually have? Basically, whats his total motile count? That is what is important. One has to remember, IVF is usually an RE’s money maker. So they usually push that. But really, if you feel like giving IUI a chance then do it. :cross: :cross:

I agree with the above - motility is key…while 11 million seems low, the guarantee from sperm donor clinics is 6 million…so I think you are ok…try iui a few times then go to ivf. does your insurance cover iuis?

Iui

Insurance does not cover anything.

I forget the rest of the stats. Everything else was normal, just the count was low.

I’m leaning toward giving it 3 tries. The cost of 3 IUIs is still a fraction of one IVF.

I think the most important thing is doing what YOU are comfortable with. I went to two clinics for consultations to compare advice. I actually went in thinking IUI was a waste of time. The one doctor convinced me otherwise (using our test results and statistics) and I got my BFP a few days ago on our first round of IUI. The other doctor wanted me to undergo further testing before deciding treatment plan. Had I agreed, we would still be undergoing testing this month and I would have had an invasive surgical procedure that I certainly did not need. Go with your gut. If your RE wants you to go immediately to IVF, he/she should have solid reasoning and if you feel otherwise, then proceed how YOU are comfortable. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Chrispat]Insurance does not cover anything.

I forget the rest of the stats. Everything else was normal, just the count was low.

I’m leaning toward giving it 3 tries. The cost of 3 IUIs is still a fraction of one IVF.[/QUOTE]

If everything else was normal, then i would give a few IUI’s a chance. Also, the new guidelines for s/a is 15mil/ml. So he isn’t all that far off. Plus s/a can vary, next time he could have more or less. Some RE’s will allow IUIs with a total motile count of 5 million. :cross: