IUI for the first time

Hello,
My husband and I are going through our first IUI treatment this month. Is there any advice anyone can please give me as I’m very nervous.

IUI 1st time too!

Hi,
I found your post and wanted to send you lots of encouragement and :babydust: :babydust: on your first IUI this month. My DH and I are going to be doing our first IUI this month too. I am very excited to be doing this because we have been TTC for a little over a year and I finally feel like by doing IUI it will finall work! What are you taking for your IUI? I’ve been prescribed Follistim and tomorrow will be my first shot. I have an appointment with a nurse to show me how to take it and also for an ultrasound. Good luck to you on this voyage and hopefully we will both have a :bfp: at the end of March!!! Lots of luck!

Aw, don’t be nervous… just one step closer to getting your :bfp:! I did my first this month as well but went ahead and did it unmedicated with only an HCG trigger. I ovulate on my own, good AMH/FSH so thought we’d give it a try and see. Good luck to you! :babydust:

Hello
Don’t be nervous, because when i did my 1st IUI i felt the same.everything goes well after IUI think positive and sure god will hear your you soon…
Lots of baby dust.

1st IUI BFN, on to IUI 2/3

We just finished douing a back to back IUI on Sat and Sunday 4/20 and 4/21/13. I suggested it to our RE after reading a post on this site. Since my insurance covers unlimited IUI’s I figured we might as well do two because of my DH’s very low sperm count. I don’t know why my RE did not suggest it for the first IUI (which made me mad). Today is 2dpiui and I feel no difference. After the 1st IUI my boobs were super tender and my ovaries were very sensitive, this time around I feel no change at all. I think it might have to do with the HcG that I took. The 1st IUI I used Novarel (brand name drug), this time around my insurance sent me the generic HcG. I am in the horrible 2ww right now and my DH and I are :pray: :pray: :pray: every night that we get pregnant.

Has anyone had to do a blood test the day after their IUI?

winslowsmom- You LUCKY DUCK! Your insurance covers unlimited IUI’s. Gosh do you know how lucky you are?

Every month my total costs were at least $1200 (but I have to purchase donor sperm too which is really the majority of the cost, liquid gold)

Anyway Fingers Crossed for you & :bsv:
Hope you get your :bfp:

[QUOTE=winslowsmom]We just finished douing a back to back IUI on Sat and Sunday 4/20 and 4/21/13. I suggested it to our RE after reading a post on this site. Since my insurance covers unlimited IUI’s I figured we might as well do two because of my DH’s very low sperm count. I don’t know why my RE did not suggest it for the first IUI (which made me mad). Today is 2dpiui and I feel no difference. After the 1st IUI my boobs were super tender and my ovaries were very sensitive, this time around I feel no change at all. I think it might have to do with the HcG that I took. The 1st IUI I used Novarel (brand name drug), this time around my insurance sent me the generic HcG. I am in the horrible 2ww right now and my DH and I are :pray: :pray: :pray: every night that we get pregnant.[/QUOTE]

I have never had to do a blood test right after my IUI. I only did all my blood work prior to fertility- then after I got my hpt :bfp:

How many dpiui Did your RE recommend you do this blood test?

[QUOTE=Fabiola]Has anyone had to do a blood test the day after their IUI?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ilovemyjob]I have never had to do a blood test right after my IUI. I only did all my blood work prior to fertility- then after I got my hpt :bfp:

How many dpiui Did your RE recommend you do this blood test?[/QUOTE]

Hi…I read through your signature and just wanted to say congrats! What a long road you have had.

It’s an inspiration to me that it can happen! :slight_smile:

It has been hard. Thanks! Most days Im still nervous but I try to think about positive things.
Looking at your signature it has been a hard road for you too MJS61578!

[QUOTE=MJS61578]Hi…I read through your signature and just wanted to say congrats! What a long road you have had.

It’s an inspiration to me that it can happen! :-)[/QUOTE]

My first IUI too…

[
I will be starting the same journey this evening. I was cleared to take my first Follistim injection this evening and boy…I’m nervous too! I justed wanted to let you know you are not alone.

Good luck to you!

Me - 42
DP- 46 perfectly good swimmers

:paw: Mom to Maximus

Question: pre-IUI tests

Ladies,

Since many of you have had IUI experiences, I hope you can help me to figure out what tests must be done PRIOR to the 1st IUI. I know that TIMING is very important too. I want to make sure I do my “homework” before my appointment because unfortunately not all doctors are thorough…and because my insurance does NOT cover [U]any[/U] fertility treatments I’d like to rule out major potential issues that may prevent pregnancy… I put together a list of some tests that were suggested to me by several wonderful ladies on another thread. I would really appreciate your comments and insights!

Thank you in advance!!!
Lina

[B]PAP smear
HSG to check the tubes
Vaginal ultrasound (day 3)
HIV
STD
Iron
INR/PT (blood clotting)
Fasting insulin
Thyroid (TSH, T3, and T4)
Prolactin (day 3)
Progesterone (day 3)
FSH (day 3)
Estradiol (day 3)
LH (day 3)
androstenedione (day 3)
17 Hydroxyprogesterone (day 3)
Sex hormone binding globulin/SHBG (day 3)
Free testosterone (day 3)
AMH (any time)[/B]

Lina, if you don’t have a diagnosis like PCOS, endo, thyroid issue, etc. yourself, the main tests prior to beginning IUI would be the HSG and the basic male-factor work ups.

I’m also a self-pay patient for fertility, and I have to say I regret doing a few unmedicated IUIs. Total waste even if you have a reliable 28 day cycle, get LH surges, and ovulate–in my experience. The success probability with IUI is low enough relative to its out-of-pocket cost that it’s worth $20 of a low dose of Clomid (at least) to enhance your chances.

Thank you, Mtnpath, for your prompt response. I have not had medical check-ups for a while because my previous medical insurance was really bad and expensive, so I think a few additional tests won’t hurt.

I wonder why unmedicated IUIs are so ineffective, especially for those who have reliable cycles and ovulate. I really appreciate your comment about this because the doctor said this is the way to start the journey…

Did you do a trigger shot? Some people strongly suggest it, others do not, so I am really confused about it.

I thought a [I]natural[/I] IUI cycle did not involve [U]any[/U] meds, but after I read some postings on another thread I think I was wrong. If so, I do not understand why it is called [I]natural[/I]…

Also, do you know anything about injectibles? I am trying to understand pros and cons of different options before starting the process.

Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for your help!
Lina

So here’s how my clinic has explained expected IUI outcomes. Most studies show that among untreated couples with infertility, spontaneous pregnancy rates are about 1–5% per cycle. Intrauterine insemination results in pregnancy rate of 10%–20% per cycle. This is at least a doubling of the pregnancy rate per cycle. But this also means that most couples may require four to six inseminations to benefit from the full advantage of IUI.

Dicey, eh?

I haven’t heard the term “natural” specifically used by doctors, but definitely IUI with no medication is a possibility–I’ve done it. :slight_smile:

IUI can also be coupled with medication (pills or injections) that increase the number of egg ovulated in the treatment cycle. With meds you may release 2-4 eggs per cycle instead of 1. The extra ovulation ("superovulation”) can increase the pregnancy rate per cycle.

Personally, as a self-pay patient for IUI, I suppose there’s no harm in trying a single unmedicated IUI. (On the other hand, there’s no harm in politely asking your RE if you could benefit from starting on 50 mg Clomid on the first attempt.) But paying for the sperm wash, insemination, etc out of pocket 3-6 times with no meds is not the most economical or strategic, IMO. (Even worse if you’re paying for appointments, blood work, and ultrasounds out of pocket. Fortunately my insurance covers that.)

As far as I know, a number of clinics (though not ALL–and private clinics may be more lenient with this than university clinics) do advise starting with unmedicated IUI if you’re not anovulatory. (After going this route myself, I later learned many savvier patients request to go immediately to meds). Unmedicated is the initial recommended guideline for a couple of reasons. First, it eliminates risk of adverse side effects from medication. Second, the odds of twins or higher order multiples increase with pharmaceutical tinkering. (Incidentally, more IUIs per couple entails a greater profit margin for the clinic.)

Often the first med tried in conjunction with IUI is Clomid. It’s inexpensive and has been used since the 60s. If Clomid is unsuccessful, next your RE may up the dosage, add a trigger shot, or move on to Femara or injectibles.

If you do ovulate, usually you’ll not initially do a trigger shot with IUI. Instead, you’ll time when you ovulate with an LH surge test like Clear Blue Easy, with the IUI being done the day after your LH surge. With trigger shots, the timing issue gets more complex than with LH testing / natural ovulation. The trigger shot is a shot of HCG that gives borderline mature follicles the boost they need to become mature, and then induces ovulation. I tried both ways and would’ve asked to add the trigger shot sooner, had I known better.

Injectibles are more potent (and pricier) drugs. Without a specific diagnosis for the cause of your infertility to warranted it, I think it’d be very rare for a RE to let you start with injectibles. I’m new to trying them myself, so will let others explain. Hopefully you’ll never get that far. :babydust:

By the way, as far as the actual IUI “procedure,” it’s more of a breeze than a pap smear, I’d say. I could never really even feel it. Was mildly crampy afterward.

Infertility is a long learning process. For me, being 30, in great health other than having unexplained infertility, and not having IUI covered by insurance… in hindsight I would’ve politely asked for at least Clomid from the get go. I haven’t had any problem tolerating the meds, and their benefits outweigh the risks.

After my ectopic we sat down with our RE (who is awesome, and who we have a great relationship with) and basically said look… We’ve been at this awhile and are quite motivated to make it work (yet not ready for IVF) … let’s be a bit more proactive and less risk-averse. Then suddenly a bunch more options as far as medication were offered, instead of the more incremental try this for 3 months, then this for 3 months, then this for 3 months… Communication is so key.

Hope that helps. There are so many things that you kind of figure out as you go, and I’m sure others will have plenty to add.

Here;s a RE’s breakdown of Clomid v. Metaformin (Letrozole) that I found helpful.

Clomid vs Letrozole

Infertility Blog: Clomid and Letrozole Part 2

Clomid vs Letrozole: The Last Words

Hi,

I’m new here. I just had my 2nd round of IUI today.
Second natural cycle. I ovulate naturally like clock work, get beautiful good size follicles etc. DH now has good little swimmers so technically we shouldn’t need any medical help but after all this time here we are.
I was lucky enough to get a positive test first time around last month but lost the baby not lot after. Dr said because the recipe worked we will not change it for second round and assured me that miscarriage at the age of 34 is very common in fact 1 in 4 will terminate before 4 weeks. I hate that I fall into all the statistics.
The 2ww was the worst 2 weeks of my life. I could not think of anything else in the 2 weeks. It is horrible.
I am a bit more relaxed this time around probably because I have lost hope a bit and I’m doing it but haven’t got my hopes up like I did last month.
My first IUI didn’t hurt, it was like a pap smear but I cramped straight after for about 20 mins and had sore and sensitive tummy for a few days afterwords which worried me as I thought inflammation could prevent inplantation. This time I didn’t get any cramps but did get slight spotting.
thank you all for sharing all your experiences.
:bsv: :pray:

Good Luck!

This month will hopefully me our first IUI too! Wishing you all the luck in the world! :cross: :cross: :cross: What day are you in your cycle??

1st iui done on last friday…now 5dpiui feeling off n on period like cramps some twingling feeling in lower abdomen n sore nipples sorry tmi. Its sucha roller coaster…feeling positive aswel as frightened…dono if it will work or not…got mixed replies on internet some says its a good sign to hv cramps n some says we do hv cramps but wasnt prego… baby dust to all of u out there…prayers for all of u :slight_smile: