IUI or IVF after 8 failed cycles - cost differences

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Hi there,[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]As some of you know my wife and I have been trying to have ababy for the past 10 months, we have had 7 unsuccessful IUI’s. We are takingthis month off because my wife is emotionally and physically drained from allof this, but we plan on starting back on next cycle. We have spent loads of money on the whole process,especially considering we are using donor sperm which is super expensive.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]At this point we are pretty bone dry when it comes to money.We have used all of our savings for this.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Our insurance won’t cover IVF until 12 failed IUI’s, andthey won’t budge. Our doctor even wrote a letter for us to the insurance companysaying he recommends IVF (for a million reasons), but they still are notaltering this for us. Which is understandable since it is their policy, but nowwe are like “what do we do?”. Should we continue to do IUI after IUI and hopeone takes? Or do we bite the bullet and pay for IVF? We would have to put IVFon a credit card, we have heard it will be around 10K. But we are meeting withour doctor next week to discuss the details behind everything. We are going toask if they are willing to do a payment plan. Has anyone heard of doctors doingthis?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]My hesitation with doing more IUIs is, obviously there issomething wrong that the doctor isn’t seeing. Would it really take this long tobecome pregnant if there wasn’t? I don’t want us to keep wasting our time andmoney when the only way they will be able to tell if something is wrong (likebad eggs) is by doing IVF.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]But of course our hesitation with IVF is the money. And ifwe spend the 10K+ on one IVF cycle and it doesn’t take, doing another IVF cycleis completely out of the question…unless of course we win the lottery.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]So we are at loss on what to do. Can anyone shine some light on this situation?[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Background:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]3 cycles of clomid (1 cycle she had 1 mature follicle, 2 cycles she had 2 mature follicles) [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]4 cycles of follistim (the last cycle was 150 almoststraight through) with progesterone suppositories[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] (2 cycles she had 2mature follicles, and the other 2 other cycles she had 1 mature follicle). Shehad 1 mature follicle during that last cycle. So as you can see she isn’tseeming to respond to follistim.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Doctor can’t see anything wrong with her, she had herfallopian tubes flushed (no issues there)[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]He said she has some sort of ovulation problem…but it’s not anything medication couldn’t help overcome.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]Thanks.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[/FONT]

IF sucks. That’s all there is to it :slight_smile:

I see that quite a few people have viewed your post but not responded. My hubby and I have our first IVF consult on Monday, so I am far from an expert, however, I have done quite a bit of research on IF, and can at least give you my opinion.

I think 7 IUI’s is a lot, and I would think it would have worked by now if IUI was the way to go. I’ve read, (although I’m not a doctor and have no idea if this is a valid statement or not), that after 4 IUIs, the statistics aren’t higher for conceiving.

If that really is the case, you would need 5 more IUI’s before insurance paid for IVF. How much does your insurance pay? 100%? If your IUIs are $1000 each (?), that’s $5,000 out of pocket, which is a difference of $5,000 if you went straight to IVF.

On the other hand, that’s at least an additional 5 months/cycles to wait, and depending on your wife’s age, you may or may not want to drag it out. Most of the time, the best treatment for unexplained IF is IVF.

The financial part of IF is the worst. Like I said, we have our consult Monday, but it’s basically to get an idea of how much meds I will need so I have a savings goal to get to. We still won’t be able to start treatments for a few months. You can always look for clincal studies that you may qualify for, or, if it’s determined your wife has good eggs, you can look into an egg sharing program to help cut the costs. You can always ask your clinic if they have programs for free meds too. My RE will require payment in full, for the procedure & monitoring, and I’m on my own for meds. I’m thinking of buying them a little at a time to help with the huge sticker price.

I hope that I was able to provide you with a little bit of info to help you out :slight_smile: Good luck to you both!

[INDENT]Within the last few years, doctors and scientists have performed intensive researches about infertility and its treatments. This results in various sophisticated and effective infertility treatments such as advanced hormonal treatment, donor insemination, intrauterine insemination (IUI), advanced micro surgery, laser surgery, Assisted reproductive technologies (ART) (in vitro fertilization, intracytoplasmic sperm injection and gamete intrafallopian transfer).[/INDENT]