Iui?

I’ve been through one cycle of clomid, and 3 letrozole cycles (currently on third, still :pray: ) I’m debating doing another cycle of just letrozole or letrozole/IUI.
How many cycles have you been recommended to do until you start IUI?
Another factor is that in August, if nothing has been succesful, we will be taking a break for a few months. I can’t imagine not being on a schedule again!
Hopefully I don’t have to worry about all of this, and I’m praying it worked this month…but I’m a planner and need to figure out what is next!
Thanks for your advice!

I think you need to do what is right for you. The standard RE protocol suggest 3 iui before considering IVF. But I think we have different situations so who really knows? Again, it needs to go back to what seems healthy and right for you. I’ve made the decision to go back to iui after unsuccessful ivfs…in the eye of the RE, this is entirely not a good move, BUT I feel much better in spirit and mind with this decision and I think that’s half the battle.

[QUOTE=keister33]I’ve been through one cycle of clomid, and 3 letrozole cycles (currently on third, still :pray: ) I’m debating doing another cycle of just letrozole or letrozole/IUI.
How many cycles have you been recommended to do until you start IUI?
Another factor is that in August, if nothing has been succesful, we will be taking a break for a few months. I can’t imagine not being on a schedule again!
Hopefully I don’t have to worry about all of this, and I’m praying it worked this month…but I’m a planner and need to figure out what is next!
Thanks for your advice![/QUOTE]

Hi there. I know what you mean about looking forward. I always planned my next cycle before my current one was over :slight_smile:

I was never able to do non-IUI cycles because my husband has no sperm, so it’s been all IUI’s for us, but I think it would depend on what your/your husband’s issues are. I’m assuming you’re seeing an RE? What has your RE recommended? IUI’s can be helpful for certain problems but with others I’m not sure they make as much of a difference. I would also take into consideration how much they will cost you, if anything. (if that’s an issue for you, I obviously don’t know, hehe)

Good luck! I hope you don’t even have a next cycle :wink:

Iui

I see my RE if this cycle doesn’t work…(Here we see NP’s until the third cycle, and no offence to NPs, they are great! but they just don’t give straigt answers…)
My husband is on the fence about IUI, I’m all for it because technically, we have 2 months before we take a break. I’m just curious how many cycles of just meds did you do before you moved on?
I see stories about people being on clomid/another med for almost a year, but my thought is if it doesn’t work in 3 months (I dont know why three is my number, it just is :)), is it really going to work at all?
And my husband first semen analysis was bad morphology, and the second was perfect, so what can I really believe? Were we just lucky the second time? Maybe IUI is the way to go?
Sorry, I’m just kind of rambling now…but I have to figure this out by Friday (hopefully I don’t have to figure it out at all! ;))

Usually an RE will want 3-6 cycles on just meds and TI before moving onto IUI. But with one s/a with bad morph and the next one good. I would get him tested again to see what that one turns out to be. Maybe the bad one was just a bad batch or maybe the good one was just a lucky day. I know for us, since dh has low morph IUI was our way to go. Goodluck!!

I think another determining factor for many women is the cost. If you have insurance that covers unlimited IUI’s or say maybe 6, then use that up. A lot of us do not have insurance coverage and that normall helps to make the decision on when to move on to IVF. It honestly is just up to you and your personal preferences. I would do IUI’s until they worked, however, my RE told us to move on to IVF and not waste our money anymore, so I thought long & hard and that’s what we plan to do in the future. Paying for 3 IUI cycles out of pocket pretty much would have paid for 3/4 of an IVF cycle…so again, just personal preference. Good luck to you and your decision! Hopefully it’s not one that you have to make!

Iui

My insurance doesn’t cover much but clinic appointments, and a couple ultrasounds, and they are about to cut me off.
So because I’m paying out of pocket, I’m thinking because the ultrasounds aren’t cheap either that I should be going to IUI. Try for June and July as these will be my last two months before we take a break. Then if those don’t work, re-evaluate the thought of IVF. My insurance won’t cover a dime of IVF, so that is definitely out of the question for at least a year :frowning:

Make sure you check on your insurance. We thought that my insurance wouldn’t cover a thing and were prepared to pay for the IVF, cost of meds, testing, all of that. While my insurance did not cover the actual IVF it covered a good bit of the medication and most of the test. I also hit my deductible by the end of the cycle. So now I am going to have twins and won’t have to pay for much of anything!

My RE actually had us try 3 completely natural cycles before going IUI. Because of a surgery and off timing, we ended up having to wait 5 cycles. I finally start letrozole tomorrow for our first IUI cycle.

I made my deductable the end of January! So I haven’t had to pay for much yet. I have insurance through my work, and also my husbands work, so between the two, I have only had to pay my deductable so far. But I was also just informed that as of April, no more infertility will be covered through my insurance, and my husbands insurance doesn’t cover any, not even a semen analasis ordered by a family doctor… (although, they have been covering the US???) I keep track of my insurance, but I’m just to the point of if it’s not covered, oh well (Although, not to that point with IVF ;)) I’ll take what I can get…I’m just happy they have covered until now. But let me tell you, having two insurance’s is a rediculous pain in my a**! but, it has benifited me so far, so I shouldnt complain :slight_smile:
I love all of the information on these forums! Thank you all, and keep it coming! My husband doesn’t like to talk about it as much as I do :wink:

One more thing to check on with your RE is if they are doing any studies. I see you were diagnosed with Endo…there is another lady on this forum that has endo & participated in a study through their RE’s office which covered the majority of their IUI procedures. Her name is Poenym. Also, there is a company, I cannot remember the name, that you can apply for free medication. I’m sure someone on here will remember the name. There are tons of options out there if you are coming out of pocket and again the decision is just a personal preference. I probably would have done more IUI’s if it wasn’t for the fact that we are using DH’s frozen sperm & only have a limited number of samples. Don’t forget to save all your medical information to claim on your taxes as well!

That would be me!

My clinical trial covered the ultrasounds, blood work, and Ovidrel injection. It did NOT cover the Clomid (my health insurance covered that, so it was super cheap) or the IUI itself (less expensive than the monitoring). (It also didn’t cover the donor sperm, of course).

For me, that was a savings of $625. The BAD news is that you could only go through the trial once. (The other bad news is that trials are typically clinic specific - I found this one on my clinic’s website.) The good news is that I only needed once. =)

The endo was neither a qualifier or a disqualifier - they wanted “subfertile” women who were planning a clomid/IUI cycle. I was actually worried that I wouldn’t qualify because I haven’t tried for a year at home - because DS was necessary. I don’t know why they decided I’m okay without that - MAYBE it was the endo, or maybe the just cared that it was a person who already was planning clomid + IUI (which would indicate their RE thought it was necessary). My RE thought it would take IVF. She wasn’t even sure that would work - worried about egg quality.

But to go back to your initial question about when to go to IUI - I’m with a lot of the others here - it depends on what the issue is. I’d want another SA on your DH.

I assume your Hashimoto’s is under control? Have you been tested for celiac? I will tell you that we know endo can affect egg quality, and I did some pretty significant things to try to improve my egg quality. Without IVF, I don’t know if egg quality was an issue for me (my doc had other reasons to worry - I was having unusual cycles after my surgery - but they went away on their own). If you’re interested, I can share what I did. Given the potential link between Hashimoto’s and celiac, and the role of gluten in inflammation, I’d probably add going gluten free to the list of things I did (I didn’t go gluten free, but I DID cut WAY back on my grains in general).

Good luck!

It sound like you’re clinical case is exactly what I have been doing (minus IUI), which I’m thinking I need to do.
I myself have cut back in grains, but have not completely gone gluten free. One thing I was doing bad with in my diet was soy, I used to eat lots of edemame! Then I read how bad it is for endo!
Oh, and I’m not doing clomid either… My doc told me it usually doesn’t work with endo (but so happy it did for you! :)), so I’m taking letrizole.
And I have thought about being tested for celiacs, but I think part of me doesn’t want to know :slight_smile:
I would defiantly take any tips to improve egg quality, or any tips/ tricks in general! I also see my doctor on Friday IF I don’t get a BFP by then. Is there other things I should be asking her about?
I think I’m really going to push for IUI. The NP says she usually likes to try 6-7 more medicated cycles before IUI, but I think that is outrageous! That’s 6-7 more US, 6-7 more months of crazy hormones! I think I will do June and July as IUI, and if those don’t work, a break.

-I did 6 IUI’s, before my RE recommended us to take a break.
-He knew what our goals were and never swayed one way or another as far a treatment plans.

-We chose IUI’s because they are lower in cost.

-We have to use donor sperm so that is already expensive liquid gold. I would have rather spent $1200 or more a month trying that a huge lump at one time (ouch)
-We never had to do natural cycles, because of the sperm issue.

I chose to do 6, then got pregnant on #6 (that ended up not going well, but at the time thought it was awesome because we were going to take a break anyway!)

we had no known need for an iui. but we were being monitored during our medicated cycles anyway, and so just the iui procedure itself didn’t add that much to the cost (i think it was roughly $200), and so when our first timed intercourse cycle didn’t work, i just figured we should spend the extra money and do the iui in the off chance that it addressed undiagnosed issues. and it worked.

Keister - I’ve also read that going off dairy can help endo. I didn’t do that, either. What I did do:
-Ate TONS of vegetables - probably 8-10 servings a day, and I’m pretty sure I overestimate what a serving is (so maybe more).
-Ate protein and fat (NOT trans - NO trans fat) before going to carbs when hungry.
-Cut way back on sugar.

Then added, for supplements:
-L-arginine
-CoQ-10
-B-complex
-Probiotic (well, was already taking that, but it was recommended as well)
-Omega 3 (EPA ad DHA type)
-Royal Jelly with bee propolis, bee pollen, korean ginseng, and eleuthera. There’s some research (foreign, I think) on bee propolis and women with endo trying to conceive that indicates it’s really helpful.

I stopped the royal jelly when I got a BFP - lack of research on it in pregnant women. I’m still taking the rest. My diet has changed a LOT since then… but that’s really because my body refuses to eat the way I was eating (vegetables, particularly raw ones, rarely go down well these days… carbs, on the other hand…).

I had heard from other women that clomid isn’t great for endo. This was my first treatment cycle with clomid, though, and I responded very well (3 mature follicles, most women get 1 or 2), so the plan was to keep with it until IVF (two more cycles), except, well, it worked. I did have surgery in October to remove 4 endometriomas and any other endometriosis that was accessible, so that may have helped. I still have an endometrioma on my right ovary (that one was so incorporated into the ovary, they only drained it during the surgery, and it’s back). My guess is that it helped there be only ONE instead of two or three babies in there! It still hurts, sometimes.

Hope all that helps!

Oh, I don’t think I could cut out dairy! I live in WI, and cheese is a staple to my diet :slight_smile:
Thank you for all the tips! And you said you have Hashi’s and Endo? I always worry that taking extra meds will mess with my endo/hashi’s.
Also, the Royal Jelly, is that found anywhere? Like a Target or Walmart?

Becca1119-I’m doing monitored medicated cycles right now as well, hopefully IUI here will only be that extra $200! I have a print out of what things cost here, and I think I get some sticker shock 1600-1900…but I do have to take into consideration, I am already paying for doctors visits, U/S, and meds.

Keister, I don’t have Hashimoto’s…
The royal jelly - I found it at a Vitamin Shoppe. GNC also carries it. Not so much the other stores. It’s also online.

And yeah, $1600 for a monitored cycle isn’t too shocking. I was paying only $1050 for a monitored cycle, but then I also used DS so that was another $500 or so.
Good luck!

[quote=keister33]

Becca1119-I’m doing monitored medicated cycles right now as well, hopefully IUI here will only be that extra $200! I have a print out of what things cost here, and I think I get some sticker shock 1600-1900…but I do have to take into consideration, I am already paying for doctors visits, U/S, and meds.[/quote] keister, my re gave us a global rate for those people who were not covered by insurance. for clomid, the total monitored cycle was $1600. for injectibles it was $1800. those included the IUI. your iui cost is probably not that much more. do ask.

poenym-I worry that some of these medications may interfere with Hashimoto’s and levothyroxine (although, I don’t know why it would, I guess I’m just a little over cautious…)
I will have to research it a little more…