IVF ICSI, All-Freeze, PGS/PGD

Hi Ladies,

I’m 32 with PCOS and oligomennorrhea (3-5 periods a year naturally, most without ovulation). DH’s swimmers are in great condition. We’ve been TTC since July 2009 and we’re getting ready to move on to our first IVF cycle in July 2013.

We recently switched RE’s and our new doc strongly recommends an All-Freeze protocol with ICSI and PGS. The All-Freeze benefits are that he can do more aggressive injectables to retrieve more eggs, then allow my body to calm down before FET. He also outlined how PGS can allow us to avoid transferring blasts with genetic abnormalities that could lead to BFN or miscarriage.

Has anyone else done this type of treatment? Are there any success stories out there? Hope to hear from ya’ll!

We are currently in the middle of our 1st Ivf cycle. Our egg retrieval was in April. See my siggy for egg quantity & quality. Thus far were both extremely happy & confident. Our fet will be in 5 weeks or so. Good luck with your decision! Keep us updated on your success!

[SIZE=2]IVF is the best solution for infertility.We can find so many IVF clinics but only few will provide good treatment for inffertility.So before undergoing IVF treatment it’s worth seeking out a good fertility clinic and the cost that they are charging for treatment…[/SIZE]

Ivf

[FONT=Arial] [SIZE=2]IVF is the best solution for infertility.We can find so many IVF clinics but only few will provide good treatment for inffertility.So before undergoing IVF treatment it’s worth seeking out a good fertility clinic and the cost that they are charging for treatment…[/SIZE]
[/FONT]

I wanted to wish you good luck. Just one question: do you have a genetic condition or multiple miscarriages that would indicate doing PGS? You seem young to do it without a background/known problem. Of course, if your insurance covers it why not, but if you’re paying out of pocket that’s another thing. Sorry for being nosy!

I am in a similar situation to all of you. We will be starting our 2nd (and last) IVF attempt this summer. Our 1st IVF ended in a chemical pregnancy which was devistating for me and I needed a break.

I met with my RE last week and discussed what we could do differently this time to try and up our chances. I didn’t respond as well as he would have liked last time. He suggested being much more agressive with my stims to get a LOT more mature eggs this time around and suggested that we include PGD since we had the chemical pregnancy. If we can’t afford that he suggested the same protocol but do a freeze-all and then wait for my body to calm down.

I am totally ok with all of this. My husband is active duty army and will be leaving for Korea in October and I really want to try now but didn’t want him to miss the birth of the baby (fingers crossed). This lets us do the cycle and then I can wait until he has been gone 6 months or so and then do our transfer.

If money were no object I would totally be going with the PGD but as with most people it is (we are entirely self pay) and I am just not sure. This is our last try and part of me feels like the PGD would have been helpful the 1st time around to see where the issues were and this time it will be what it is. As you can see I am confused. Any help would be awesome.

:welcome: and good luck on your first IVF. I did a freeze all this time and PGD testing. I go to the same RE as webelieveinmiracles.

I am so glad we did this as this is my 5th go around. We had 9 make it to freeze. Of those tested we had 2 that need to be retested. 2 were normal and I had 5 abnormal.

We transfer our 2 normals in July and I really hope this will be our take home baby. Even if we failed I am glad we did the DNA testing for a peace of mind.

Best of luck! rach

Going with our Gut

[QUOTE=JediBonas]I wanted to wish you good luck. Just one question: do you have a genetic condition or multiple miscarriages that would indicate doing PGS? You seem young to do it without a background/known problem. Of course, if your insurance covers it why not, but if you’re paying out of pocket that’s another thing. Sorry for being nosy![/QUOTE]

Hey JediBonas, not nosy at all! I really appreciate everyone’s insight and feedback. I am young, but since having my Mirena IUD removed four years ago (July 2009) I have only ovulated eight or ten times without intervention. Doc thinks that between the 5 rounds of Clomid, 2 IUI’s, and random natural O’s that I should have had some success by now. Especially since DH and I have dtd every other day to every two days throughout every cycle (totally exhausting, but that’s another story).

Insurance doesn’t pay and it’s crazy $$$, but we’re going all in to try the most advanced technologies out there. During my 2nd IUI I have eight follies above 12, with two 15’s and an 18, so I feel like something should have stuck. I was screened for hereditary conditions a few years ago, but last week drew blood for the Counsyl test, which is supposed to be very thorough and test for many more conditions than the last screening. At the end of the day though, no family history.

I guess I just feel like knowing would be really calming. There’s still a 10% chance that something skips detection, but I like the odds of transferring a really healthy blast after giving my body a few weeks to recover from aggressive stims. Anyway, who knows, right?

Love hearing from all of you. GOOD LUCK!!

[QUOTE=Bbloomston]

I guess I just feel like knowing would be really calming. There’s still a 10% chance that something skips detection, but I like the odds of transferring a really healthy blast after giving my body a few weeks to recover from aggressive stims. Anyway, who knows, right?

Love hearing from all of you. GOOD LUCK!![/QUOTE]

Hi, I’m curious where you got the 10% number? That seems awfully high and I question how accurate that is. We just did PGS last year through Genesis Genetics, and we were told an accuracy rate of 97%.

In our case I have a balanced translocation, so PGS was a requirement. We did a fresh cycle though and testing on day 3, so the protocal was different than what you’re contemplating. We had 25 eggs retrieved, 6 make it to testing, and 1 normal to transfer on day 5. Yes those numbers are terrible, but that’s the joy of balanced translocation. This was our 3rd and final IVF attempt, and that 1 normal has been in the womb for 40 weeks tomorrow and should be entering the world any day now :slight_smile:

[quote=armywife78]I am in a similar situation to all of you. We will be starting our 2nd (and last) IVF attempt this summer. Our 1st IVF ended in a chemical pregnancy which was devistating for me and I needed a break.

I met with my RE last week and discussed what we could do differently this time to try and up our chances. I didn’t respond as well as he would have liked last time. He suggested being much more agressive with my stims to get a LOT more mature eggs this time around and suggested that we include PGD since we had the chemical pregnancy. If we can’t afford that he suggested the same protocol but do a freeze-all and then wait for my body to calm down.

I am totally ok with all of this. My husband is active duty army and will be leaving for Korea in October and I really want to try now but didn’t want him to miss the birth of the baby (fingers crossed). This lets us do the cycle and then I can wait until he has been gone 6 months or so and then do our transfer.

If money were no object I would totally be going with the PGD but as with most people it is (we are entirely self pay) and I am just not sure. This is our last try and part of me feels like the PGD would have been helpful the 1st time around to see where the issues were and this time it will be what it is. As you can see I am confused. Any help would be awesome.[/quote]

Armywife78…have you considerd the IVF program at Walter Reed? I completed my cycle there in Feb/Mar and am now 18 weeks. We paid about $7K for everything. The website is bestivf.org

10%

MDH_DH,

Thanks so much for your update and CONGRATULATIONS on your baby. Any moment now!!!

This link to my docs website shows a pic of the pre-embryo stage when cells are tested. The way Dr. Pabon explained, the laser incision allows the tech to test at a later stage of development, and they test accessory cells (left side of the blast) rather than pulling from the 4, 8, or 16 initial cells at day 3. Basically, in the distance between the main cluster of cells on the right side and accessory cells that they test on the left side there’s a 7-10% chance that the genetic material is inconsistent.
Blastocyst Transfer and Recent Technology | Fertility Center & Applied Genetics of Florida

This is, at least, the way I remember him explaining it in the room. I think the overall accuracy of genetic testing is right at the 97% rate though. In any case, it just takes one right!

I love hearing everyone’s stories. Thank you all so much for these updates!

Bbloomston - I am curious what protocol you will be using. I also have PCOS and with our 1st IVF we did a “normal” Long Lupron cycle and I didn’t get a lot of eggs. My RE wants to be more agressive this time with my meds, etc. Was just curious.

moorej0307 - My husband and I talked about using Walter Reed but when it came down to it, we really wouldn’t be saving that much money with travel, me having to be off work so much, etc. My RE is actually former Army and he started the IVF program at Madigan. I really like him and since he did our 1st IVF I am just more comfortable doing that.

AFM - I have a follow-up with my RE next Monday (6/10) to go over my test results and to go over what protocol he has decided on. I really hope that we get better results this time. Still waiting to know when my husband will have to be away for training (6 weeks). We are waiting for that information to decide when we will cycle, although if we haven’t heard by Monday we will try and do a July/August cycle.

Bbloomston- Yes I am doing a similar protocol basically due to my age and medical condition (see my data below). I was on BCP to start, then MicroFlare Lupron, Follistim and Low dose HCG for about 10 to 12 days while they monitor follicle growth. Our plan is to freeze as many embies as possible then have FET in August/Sept. First cycle produced 4 follicles, retreived 3 eggs, 2 made it to blasts which were then PGD tested (due to my age, no other reason) and now 2 embies frozen. 2nd cycle got canceled as my body wasnt stimulating, hoping to start again this week. Best of luck to you- I look forward to sharing our stories!

ARmywife 78- I understand how you need to schedule this around your everday life, it is harder now that summer is here and there always seems to be a party or bbq to go to. I just started stims this week and am due for hopefully ER next weekend (which happens to be the day of my brother in laws promotion ceremony at Ft Lee). I hope I go earlier to I do miss the promotion.

Wishing everyone :babydust: