IVF ladies, late 30s, low AMH...How Many Embryos Did You Have to Freeze?

I posted earlier about struggling with the idea of having unused frozen embryos. (My DH and I believe life begins at conception).We were just told IVF is our only option
:frowning: I know every person is different, but if I could just get an idea, it would help my DH and I in this journey.

ME:38, AMH of .8 (boo!!)
DH: 40, VERY low sperm count, bad motility

Anyone with similar numbers, PLEASE share with me:

How many eggs you had retrieved:
How many embryos did you have to freeze:

I dont have low AMH but even with high AMH my first cycle with 21 eggs retrieved, only 4 made it to freeze on Day 5. If you’re concerned about unused embryos, you can ask the Dr to culture your embryos to Day 5. So only the strongest will make it to Day 5. Another thing also if you have completed your family and still have unused embryos, if you’re not open to donating them, you can have them transferred back in you when you’re least fertile. At least that is my plan anyway.

Thank you so much for the reply! It helps a lot! This is so hard…

You’re welcome! Just to keep in mind, when you culture to Day 5, there is a possibility that none will make it to freeze.

I did my cycles at 30 years old. All my tests were normal. Husband has low count. Out of 2 cycles we only had one that made it to freeze. We wanted more but it just didn’t happen. Our doctor told us only half of all ivf cycles have embryos to freeze at the end.

I’m not the same age range but I have .2 AMH and only had 4 egg retrieved but none fertilized with DH sperm. We have had a lot of conversations along these lines before we realized that I was part of the problem as well and decided that we would adopt any unused embryos because if DH and I cannot conceive this way, we would like to adopt. There are wait lists of people wanting embryos with the same feeling that it is a life as well. Good luck on your journey!

Hi.

First IVF, 13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to freeze…none survived thaw.

Second IVF, 11 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI, none left over to freeze.

Third IVF, 7 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI, none left over to freeze.

I have completed two IVF cycles. During the 1st cycle, 4 eggs were retrieved, 3 fertilized with ICSI, 3 embryos transferred on day 3, resulting in a chemical pregnancy. During the 2nd cycle, 6 eggs were retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI, 3 embryos transferred on day 3, resulting in a baby girl that arrives in two weeks or less!! I have never had any embryos make it to freeze.

Good luck to you!

I have similar AMH at the age of 32. My RE said to expect about 8 eggs with such AMH. After two IVFs I have only one frozen embryo.

My RE says on average 70-80% of eggs fertilize, about 50% of embryos make it to day 5. So you can expect 2-3 embryos on day 5. My first RE said that only 30% of IVF cycles have frozen embryos.

If you happen to have many eggs at retrieval you can ask to fertilize only an X number.

I have done three fresh cycles and had 4-6 embryos each time. My first cycle had no embryos to freeze. On my second, I froze two on day 3, but in hindsight it is unlikely that they would have been able to freeze them if I’d let them grow to day 5 (which is what we should’ve done.) My third also had none to freeze. I hate to sound like a downer, but I don’t think with your age and AMH it is very likely you will have embryos to freeze. My AMH is near 1.0 and we have low count as well. I so wish we’d had frozen embryos because “starting over” is very hard and very expensive. Best of luck to you. Although a lot of things can be predicted and speculated about, there is really only one way of seeing how your body will respond and that is to go through a cycle. If you have a high number of eggs you could always opt to freeze only part of them, although I’ve never heard of anyone doing that honestly.