IVF ladies who have experienced miscarriage

This is my second pregnancy, the first ending in miscarriage and I’m absolutely terrified the same thing will happen again. I’m now 5 weeks along and I began spotting old brown stuff a few days ago. Of course I nearly flipped my lid but after doing lots of research I keep seeing over and over again brown blood is okay but if it starts to turn pink or red then there is cause for concern. Today there was more brown spotting but this time there was a pinkish tinge to it so now of course I’m panicking again.

My question to you is for us IVF ladies who are fully supplementing our progesterone, will we have spotting and bleeding prior to miscarriage the same as those who ovulate? Of course we don’t experience the drop in progesterone that signals the endometrium to begin shedding, so that is why I’m wondering. When I had my miscarriage it was a “missed miscarriage” and was caught by ultrasound weeks later.

Hi SassyMollasy:

I have not experienced miscarriage with IVF but just wanted to share my experience. I bled from 7 weeks of pregnancy up until about 11 - 12 weeks. My bleeding ranged from spotting to a heavy period to an all out bleed with clots and the color went from brown to pink to bright red.

The doctors could not find a definitive reason for the bleeding and I have a very healthy pregnancy thus far. Many of the ladies I am on a thread with also had bleeding in the first trimester and have healthy pregnancies also. So it is possible that it could mean a miscarriage or could just be typical first trimester bleeding. I have heard of IVF miscarriages happening with a light bleed or with no bleeding at all.

Hopefully you can relax until your first u/s shows what is happening for sure but don’t give up hope just yet. Wish you luck.

SassyMollassy- Your story sounds so similar to mine. I had a m/c. then got preggo w/ my son. With my son, I started spotting at about 5 weeks, for 2-3 days, “old brown stuff” like you said, then spotted again for 2-3 days at about 8 weeks, which was more pinkish like yours. I think some spotting can be normal, as long as you don’t have cramps or bright red blood, it should be ok. I always went in for an extra ultrasound tho, just for peace of mind. At 8 weeks, we were actually away on vacation, and I went to the ER b/c there was no way I could enjoy myself wondering. Everything turned out fine. I was a little dehydrated and got quite the lecture from the nurse in the ER. I would recommend drinking tons of water and resting as much as possible until the spotting stops.

To answer your question, every miscarraige is different, just like every pregnancy is different. Some gals will have cramps and bleeding even while on progesterone, and some will not. I never did with my m/c, there was amniotic sac and enlarged yolk sac, with no fetal pole or heartbeat. No spotting at all and no cramps. I ended up having a D&C.

I wish you peace and hope for a healthly pregnancy for you.

Sassy- I have had two miscarriages from IVF. Both were completely different. The first was around 5 weeks, I had no bleeding, no spotting, no cramping. Then one day I started bleeding, I called the Dr. they thought it might have been irritation from using Crinone. The next day the miscarriage happened just like my period was starting.

My second miscarriage I had dark brown spotting, really it only happened when wipe, nothing ever on my underwear (sorry if TMI). However, I called the Dr. and they said that as long as it was brown that it was just old blood and not to worry. So for some it is just old blood, sadly it was a miscarriage for me. The nurse told me a story about a lady that had red bleeding throughout her first trimester and she delivered a healthy baby. So like the other ladies said, every miscarriage/pregnancy is different. I wish nothing but the best for you and your pregnancy.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with me ladies. You’ve done much to give me some peace of mind tonight. I’m afraid this pregnancy is just going to be on pins and needles for me but I guess that goes with the territory. I’d rather have a scary pregnancy than no pregnancy at all. I go next Monday for the heartbeat scan. It seems like ages away!

[quote=flybaby]Hi SassyMollasy:

I have not experienced miscarriage with IVF but just wanted to share my experience. I bled from 7 weeks of pregnancy up until about 11 - 12 weeks. My bleeding ranged from spotting to a heavy period to an all out bleed with clots and the color went from brown to pink to bright red.

The doctors could not find a definitive reason for the bleeding and I have a very healthy pregnancy thus far. Many of the ladies I am on a thread with also had bleeding in the first trimester and have healthy pregnancies also. So it is possible that it could mean a miscarriage or could just be typical first trimester bleeding. I have heard of IVF miscarriages happening with a light bleed or with no bleeding at all.

Hopefully you can relax until your first u/s shows what is happening for sure but don’t give up hope just yet. Wish you luck.[/quote]Ohhh I think we have the same RE too don’t we!

I had brown spotting with both of my chemicals and my successful pregnancy. With the chemicals it got heavier after a few days & eventually turned into my period. With my successful pregnancy it happened off & on throughout the first trimester. So I don’t think it necessarily means anything either way. I am sure the next week will go by so slow! Try not to stress and good luck!

My m/c was a missed m/c, so there was no bleeding, no symptoms, etc. The only indication was an abnormal hb at my 7w scan, so the RE was worried and made me come back a week later. That’s when he found the hb had stopped and the fetus had stopped growing. I still had no symptoms of m/c and was actually still having pregnancy symptoms. I ended up having a d&c.

Each pregnancy is different, so try not to worry (easier said than done), but the chances are good that this pregnancy will be healthy. Good luck and I hope things turn out well for you.

Sassy are you seeing Dr. Lipari at JCRM? They are really great. When will you turn 6 weeks? They may do a scan for you just a little early if you let them know you have some bleeding or spotting.

You have a great beta number!!! :cross: things are perfectly ok. Keep us posted on your u/s.

Well ladies I guess I have answered my own question. I started cramping pretty badly last night, which I was praying was just gas pains, but when I sat up in bed I felt a small gush of fluid come out. I of course immediately ran for the bathroom where I found bright red blood on the TP. Just two bathroom visits later I passed what I believe to be the sac. It was about the size of a dime with blood clots on one side and flesh colored and transparent on the other. Oddly I didn’t have much bleeding after that and the blood began to turn brown within an hour. I’m still spotting brown but throughout this process nothing has been heavy enough to hit the pad. I’m not holding onto hope that I could still be pregnant because I’m absolutely sure I passed the sac and only one embryo was transferred. I am a little concerned about the lack of bleeding though and maybe that [I]does [/I]have to do with the progesterone supplementation. I’ve e-mailed my RE’s office about it though and am still waiting to hear back from them.

I’m scared more than frustrated at this point because this is technically my third loss in a row, if you count my chemical, and I’m using donor eggs. I don’t know which to be more scared about - that it’s me or that the whole batch of embryos could be bad. I honestly hope it’s me, and that it’s something that can be found and treated. I have ten more embabies on ice and they’re all I’ve got. After ~40k in fertility treatments we’re pretty tapped out.

Flybaby - Yes Dr. Lipari is my RE. He’s so wonderful and gentle and such a difference from my last RE with no bedside manner at all. I just wish JCRM was a bit closer to where I live!

Sooo sorry to hear that you are having red blood now. Most likely this is a bad sign, but you will not know 100% until you have been back to the RE.

I can totally relate to your situation. My hubby and I went through three miscarriages and 2 negative cycles before finally having our little miracle. (one of those miscarriages was with donor embryos - I was so devestated after that one and thought it would never happen) Tried again with the same batch of embryos (added lovenox to the protocol) and had my little boy!!! If you would like to read my story you can check it out here.

Please don’t give up hope, you can still go on to have a healthy baby…even after multiple miscarriages. Will be thinking of you.

Sassy - I am hoping for the best for you. :pray: I passed very strange and large clots during my pregnancy that were very scary. I hope you can get into your RE very soon!

[quote=SassyMollassy]Well ladies I guess I have answered my own question. I started cramping pretty badly last night, which I was praying was just gas pains, but when I sat up in bed I felt a small gush of fluid come out. I of course immediately ran for the bathroom where I found bright red blood on the TP. Just two bathroom visits later I passed what I believe to be the sac. It was about the size of a dime with blood clots on one side and flesh colored and transparent on the other. Oddly I didn’t have much bleeding after that and the blood began to turn brown within an hour. I’m still spotting brown but throughout this process nothing has been heavy enough to hit the pad. I’m not holding onto hope that I could still be pregnant because I’m absolutely sure I passed the sac and only one embryo was transferred. I am a little concerned about the lack of bleeding though and maybe that [I]does [/I]have to do with the progesterone supplementation. I’ve e-mailed my RE’s office about it though and am still waiting to hear back from them.

I’m scared more than frustrated at this point because this is technically my third loss in a row, if you count my chemical, and I’m using donor eggs. I don’t know which to be more scared about - that it’s me or that the whole batch of embryos could be bad. I honestly hope it’s me, and that it’s something that can be found and treated. I have ten more embabies on ice and they’re all I’ve got. After ~40k in fertility treatments we’re pretty tapped out.

Flybaby - Yes Dr. Lipari is my RE. He’s so wonderful and gentle and such a difference from my last RE with no bedside manner at all. I just wish JCRM was a bit closer to where I live![/quote]

Sassy,

I am so sorry to hear that. I am pretty far away from Dr. Lipari also (I live in GA). When scary things happen you wish you were close by. When I needed an “emergency” u/s I was able to coordinate the RE’s office with my local OB. To be on the safe side keep taking your meds until you hear back from the RE. Keep us posted.

Sassy- I am so sorry to hear your news. I know how you feel and please know you are not alone in this. Take your time to grieve, cry, scream whatever. I hope the RE gets back with you soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi SassyM, I just went through the same thing and had a very similar experience as you except it was with a surprise natural pregnancy. I am so sorry and please take care of yourself.

Sassy,

I am so sorry for you and all you are going through.

My beta today was 150, so it’s confirmed. I’m still waiting on (and dreading) the miscarriage to complete itself. The nurse said the reason it hasn’t probably is because of the progesterone, which I took just in case last night. So it will probably be a few more days.

I’m sorry to hear this. Don’t be too afraid of the miscarriage itself (the physical pain)…this early on it is really not bad. I had two miscarriages naturally and one with D & C. The two natural were at both extremes. The early one… between 5 and 6 weeks…was almost painless. Like a period. The other one was at almost nine weeks and we had seen a baby and heartbeat already. It was extremely painful, but just lasted one night and then it was over with. I assume it was more painful because I was farther along.

I hope you will continue trying!!

Sassy really sorry to hear that. I hope you will get some answers and keep trying.

[quote=brit1612]I’m sorry to hear this. Don’t be too afraid of the miscarriage itself (the physical pain)…this early on it is really not bad. I had two miscarriages naturally and one with D & C. The two natural were at both extremes. The early one… between 5 and 6 weeks…was almost painless. Like a period. The other one was at almost nine weeks and we had seen a baby and heartbeat already. It was extremely painful, but just lasted one night and then it was over with. I assume it was more painful because I was farther along.

I hope you will continue trying!![/quote] Thank you for sharing your experience. Hopefully I’m anticipating it to be worse than it actually will be. The pain I experienced the other night when I passed the sac wasn’t nearly as bad as I would expect, really not much worse than a period.

I definitely do not plan to give up! I’m actually sitting in the lab right now, after almost five hours’ worth of blood work. I just really hope something shows up and [I]can be treated[/I]!

The worst possible outcome for me right now would be to find out that everything with me is fine and the issue lies with the embryos. If that turns out to be the case we will either continue trying with our embryos (we have ten left) or look into embryo adoption. What I really want to talk to my RE about with the embryo quality is how likely can it be that the problem would be with the embryos if we were able to get 14 good quality blastocysts out of 25 eggs retrieved? From what I understand it’s his opinion that if my embryos weren’t any good, we wouldn’t have had so many make it to blast. But I need to clarify that with him.