IVF tax deductible!

So after talking with my FIL who’s a bankruptcy attorney for large corporations, he mentions that we could deduct any medical expenses as long as they are more than 7.5% of our annual gross income. SO my first thought was… well IVF was a medical expense does that count? After skimming the IRS web page it does in fact list IVF as tax deductible! Woohoo I included the link below, the part about IVF is under fertility treatments.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/index.html

Hope someone else finds this as helpful as we did.

Wow this is great. Thanks a lot for sharing this!

Per my RE: not only can you deduct the expense of IVF and meds, you can deduct travel and meal expenses when you went for treatment…gas, meals, hotels, etc, Keep all your receipts. :slight_smile:

This is true but it has to be more than the standard medic deduction there’s some kind of weird formula. It ended up being a wash for us or at least that’s what our tax lady said and we are by no means rich I’m a nurse and my DH is a programmer I was surprised too we spent $16000 on one cycle and somehow it wasn’t more than the standard deduction

This is true but it has to be more than the standard medic deduction there’s some kind of weird formula. It ended up being a wash for us or at least that’s what our tax lady said and we are by no means rich I’m a nurse and my DH is a programmer I was surprised too we spent $16000 on one cycle and somehow it wasn’t more than the standard deduction

This is great information! Thank you so much for sharing this. God Bless us All!

Turbo tax will help you do it. I’m not expecting much either. We’ll see.

It only works if you are itemizing anyway. If you have a house then with that and the IVF you should have well over the standard deduction (after the 7.5%).

Yes, it is!! We have used it before. I was thinking it had to be more than 10% but I guess I am remembering wrong. The first year we started IVF we spent a fortune, and ended up saving almost $2,000 on our taxes. But the following years, we came up a little short of meeting the percentage. I guess that is one of the benefits of spending a fortune on fertility!! :slight_smile:

Yes…we also deducted as per our accountant co-pays, meds, etc