IVF with Donor Sperm or Surrogate?

DH and I were JUST diagnosed as a [SIZE=“4”]complete DQ Alpha match[/SIZE] :grr:, so I understand that our options are either donor sperm, or surrogate. This is a bit overwhelming, considering that we were planning on doing IVF in June… Any recommendations on donor sperm websites? We are glad to finally have some answers, just not the answers we were hoping for…

Secondly, does anyone have any surrogate stories they could to share with us? My only knowledge about surrogates comes from the movie Baby Momma… LOL Any info is greatly appreciated.

[QUOTE=jmk4806]DH and I were JUST diagnosed as a [SIZE=“4”]complete DQ Alpha match[/SIZE] :grr:, so I understand that our options are either donor sperm, or surrogate. This is a bit overwhelming, considering that we were planning on doing IVF in June… Any recommendations on donor sperm websites? We are glad to finally have some answers, just not the answers we were hoping for…

Secondly, does anyone have any surrogate stories they could to share with us? My only knowledge about surrogates comes from the movie Baby Momma… LOL Any info is greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

We are going through IVF right now. DH has MESA surgery, but doc told us to have donor sperm as back-up. We used Faiefax Cryobank for the donor sperm. There is also a California Cyrobank. We compared both banks online before going with Fairfax. Check out both banks before using one or the other.

Good Luck.

[QUOTE=CaliGirlStuckinVA]We are going through IVF right now. DH has MESA surgery, but doc told us to have donor sperm as back-up. We used Faiefax Cryobank for the donor sperm. There is also a California Cyrobank. We compared both banks online before going with Fairfax. Check out both banks before using one or the other.

Good Luck.[/QUOTE]

THANKS! I’ll look into those. My RE recommended CryoGam in Colorado, but I want to compare.

I know this is a hard decision to make. We also used Fairfax Cyrobank. I liked that they had software that you could submit photos (one at a time) and have donors matched to your hubby. We did about 10 photos and we ended up picking the one donor who came up the most but was only a medium match to him. We also were able to limit the matches to ones that had his hair type and eye color. Fairfax Cyro also sometimes run specials. For example we had to get two vials because that’s what our RE required and we got buy one get one half off. It was a nice treat since all the sperm banks my doctor’s office suggested we use were going up in price (we got our sperm in Dec and they were all increasing price in Jan). Good luck on this journey!

We are using a known donor because DH is really hooked on his genetics being in the mix but for all our banking stuff (DH prior to cancer banking and our Directed Donor banking) we have used Fairfax and could not recommend them enough. We are lucky and have their office in town but they have been extremely helpful and efficient.

Which RE are you seeing? From what I have read a complete DQa match does not automatically mean donor sperm or surrogate. Have you talked with a RI (reproductive immunologist)? I’d do that first before moving forward.

What is DQ alpha match? How does it affect fertility? I have never heard of this before. And who diagnose you with this? As I think this test is rarely done.

I would like to know more about this as well. I have been around the infertility world a loooong time and don’t know anything about it!

As for using donor anything…it is hard to make that decision in the beginning, but once you have your baby/ies you won’t ever regret a thing! We used donor embryos and could not be anymore in love with our two little boys…sometimes I wish we would have decided even sooner to move on :). Good luck to you.

[QUOTE=hmz819]Which RE are you seeing? From what I have read a complete DQa match does not automatically mean donor sperm or surrogate. Have you talked with a RI (reproductive immunologist)? I’d do that first before moving forward.[/QUOTE]

I’d love to hear what information you’ve read on this, because I’m still reeling from the news, and trying to find out as much as possible by June. We are seeing Dr. Geoffrey Sher at the Sher Institute. I’m really impressed by him. We have tried for 7 years now without a single :bfp: with no explanation as to why. When we got our DQ Alpha test results back, we found out that my husband is actually a result of a complete DQ Alpha match, and he has 2 other siblings. His parents had no issues at all getting pregnant. Dr. Sher says our issue stems from my “profound case of activated natural killer cells”, and my low ovarian reserve. I am also hypothyroid, so I think our difficulties come from a combination of all of the above. I think the only thing we have in our favor is our age… Dr. Sher is our third RE we’ve seen, and he’s finally giving us answers and solid recommendations based on those answers, so I’m thrilled. I really don’t want to spend tens of thousands of dollars on something without knowing everything I can. He has a great website called IVFAuthority.com, and that’s been where I’ve been getting most of my information.

[QUOTE=alexi]What is DQ alpha match? How does it affect fertility? I have never heard of this before. And who diagnose you with this? As I think this test is rarely done.[/QUOTE]

Hi Alexi. The DQ Alpha match is pretty confusing, but here is a great post about it that explains it better than I can.
DQ-alpha Matching in IVF: How It Affects Outcome and How to Treat!

I’ll try to summarize what I understand about it… Basically, if the mother has activated natural killer cells, the mother and father’s immune systems have to be different for the mother’s immune system, otherwise the embryo will be rejected as a tumor or foreign object. They use the DQ Alpha numbers to identify immune systems in genetic testing. You get two DQ Alpha numbers from each of your parents. Both of my husband’s DQ Alphas are 1.2. Mine are 1.1 and 1.2. Any baby we make will either be 1.1/1.2, or 1.2/1.2, which is a match to me either way. Since my immune system is already on overdrive and our DQ Alpha’s match, my immune system automatically rejects all babies when they begin to implant. Dr. Sher explains that this only happens where there are activated killer cells AND a DQ Alpha match. My Mother-In-Law must not have had activated natural killer cells, because she didn’t have any issues getting pregnant with my husband, who is a complete DQ Alpha match baby. I hope this makes sense…

[QUOTE=holdingmybreath]I know this is a hard decision to make. We also used Fairfax Cyrobank. I liked that they had software that you could submit photos (one at a time) and have donors matched to your hubby. We did about 10 photos and we ended up picking the one donor who came up the most but was only a medium match to him. We also were able to limit the matches to ones that had his hair type and eye color. Fairfax Cyro also sometimes run specials. For example we had to get two vials because that’s what our RE required and we got buy one get one half off. It was a nice treat since all the sperm banks my doctor’s office suggested we use were going up in price (we got our sperm in Dec and they were all increasing price in Jan). Good luck on this journey![/QUOTE]

I saw that picture option! That’s pretty cool. We might have to try that… looks interesting.

I used california cryobank. I looked at Fairfax too but opted for CCB since they had some really neat things like the voice interviews, the baby pictures, and overall their search engine and criteria selection where really good. YOu can have the picture matching done there too. I did not do it but its available. There is a ton of information on most donors if you buy the package that allows you to see all the info. Good luck…happy to help with any questions. Thanks Shawna

Dq alpha is just a piece in a puzzle and it doesnt have to be an issue.your husband and his siblings are the proof. So don’t rush for a ds. Why don’t you contact dr. Braverman through his website and he will tell you much more about it? Also, his website has loads of info on this issue.
Recently, a friend of mine got pregnant for the first time after 7 yrs of ttc. She only included cetrotide with the gonal f. The dr was very attentive and the lab was good. Their issue is a male factor but she also developed polyps over the time. Now, she is pregnant with twins. So, if you never got pregnant, it doesn’t mean it is the dq alpha a reason.talk to dr. B