IVF with frozen eggs

Hello,

We had a successful IVF a year and a half ago, and are now planning to try for #2. When we did the last round we were more comfortable freezing unfertilized eggs rather than embryos.

Anyone have any experience with IVF using frozen eggs rather than a true FET? We already know it will involve ICSI and assisted hatching. We were just so lucky with the last one and want to have realistic expectations heading into this one.

Thanks!

[QUOTE=purplelily]Hello,

We had a successful IVF a year and a half ago, and are now planning to try for #2. When we did the last round we were more comfortable freezing unfertilized eggs rather than embryos.

Anyone have any experience with IVF using frozen eggs rather than a true FET? We already know it will involve ICSI and assisted hatching. We were just so lucky with the last one and want to have realistic expectations heading into this one.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

My wife and I haven’t used any egg freezing methods as of yet, but I’ve read about it extensively. Egg freezing used to be risky, given that it could generate ice crystals inside of the eggs and damage them. Now, many clinics use a flash freeze method that’s safe and actually INCREASES your chance of success, since it allows you to fertilize and transfer well after your stims and at a time of your convenience. A lot of the time, cycles can fail because of the extensive stress induced by the lengthy IVF process, but some clinics can allow you to break up that marathon into more manageable portions via egg freezing.

I would ask your clinic about what kind of freezing technology they use. I have an inkling that they are probably pretty modern, which may be why they are recommending this course of action. So to summarize: egg freezing can improve your odds, depending on what clinic you are with.

I have used egg freezing for this IVF cycle. My protocol invovled egg banking so we could get as many eggs possible and then fertilize and test. This is coz I have DOR. So I did two ER. Froze the eggs from the first and the second ER we thawed the first batch fertlized all togehter.
Since they are using vitrification (flash freezing) like Demian mentioned the success rates are higher. But I did have one egg out of the 4 that were frozen that did not thaw right. It could have been due to egg quality or the thawing process. Jsut not sure.
but it has beomce a very good technique to use for many reasons esp with the new technlogoy.

Thanks guys. And good luck this round Suma!!!

Demian- you idea of asking about freezing technology- is simply great. Now I am considering (helping ) for a clinic in Poland and for sure I would ask them.

Hi,
My husband and I are 43 yrs old and are in the midst of our first IVF cycle. I had my ER on Monday, and we did ICSI. I had 7 eggs, 6 fertilized well and have been graded “top quality”. We are very hopeful!! There are so many “hoops” to go through to hopefully reach the ultimate goal! :slight_smile: We chose to do CCS if one or more embryo’s make it to day 5 for biopsy. Has anyone had any experience withh CCS? I know it tests for abnormal chromosones but today the embryologist said that all 6 embryos had the correct number of chromosones so what is the test looking for?

Congrats for first baby. Wish you good luck for second baby. I am happy for you that you are trying for second child.