Lab Balances Written Off For Clinicals?

Hi Ladies,

I conceived through IVF. So I had a ton of blood work done during my fertility treatment because they have to keep monitoring my hcg levels and such. The lab is still sending me statements of differences due after my insurance has paid its part. The weird thing is the balances the on the statements are different from what’s online. So I called to confirm the correct balances…it turns out they balances have been zeroed out! So naturally, I was freaking out…like why were these balances zeroed out? Have they been sent to collections? The representative at the lab told me that the balances have been written off for clinicals. I’ve never heard of this! When I ask her to further explain what that means, she simply told me that they were not sent to collections, they have been written off for clinicals and there’s nothing to worry about. I have never heard of this! Has this happen to anyone else? What does that mean?

Sounds like you got some free lab work! Celebrate!:cheer:

[QUOTE=Perseverance]Sounds like you got some free lab work! Celebrate!:cheer:[/QUOTE]

I hope that’s the case too! I am tempted to do the happy dance but afraid I might jinx it. So fingers crossed!

I had that happen over a Vitamin D test.

As it was explained to me…by a friend who works in medical billing…

The laboratory who processes the blood has to have a signed document that says… you agree to pay for the test if your insurance doesn’t.

If you never signed anything agreeing to pay it and your insurance won’t pay for it then they will often write it off.

[QUOTE=pixelpie]I had that happen over a Vitamin D test.

As it was explained to me…by a friend who works in medical billing…

The laboratory who processes the blood has to have a signed document that says… you agree to pay for the test if your insurance doesn’t.

If you never signed anything agreeing to pay it and your insurance won’t pay for it then they will often write it off.[/QUOTE]

I never signed any documents from the lab but my RE’s office made me sign a bunch of documents. The lab is independent from my RE.

So is this common? I usually thought they would just keep billing me and send me to collections even if the insurance won’t pay for it.

So at this point, I’m ok right? Do I need to chase this? I don’t want to be sent to collections and have bad credit for chicken scratch amounts.

I said the same thing to my friend and she said the lab itself has to have the signed document. It’s a good thing the lab is independent… Otherwise you might be responsible… My hematologist’s office is in house and I always get billed from them.

My vitamin d was a year ago. Ob requested that test. The CPL lab sent me a bill for around $800 for the test. Insurance paid for metabolic workup but denied the vitamin d test. There was back and forth with the insurance… And when I called for status two months later I was told it was written off. I never got another bill…no negative impact on my credit.

I’m sure were paying for it somehow down the line…lol but I was happy not to have to pay for that ridiculously priced test. Goes to show you should always call about bills! I would say 95% of the time my insurance tries to not pay when they should… I have had claims denied many times because a code was wrong from a doctors office. They resubmit and viola it’s paid.

[QUOTE=pixelpie]I said the same thing to my friend and she said the lab itself has to have the signed document. It’s a good thing the lab is independent… Otherwise you might be responsible… My hematologist’s office is in house and I always get billed from them.

My vitamin d was a year ago. Ob requested that test. The CPL lab sent me a bill for around $800 for the test. Insurance paid for metabolic workup but denied the vitamin d test. There was back and forth with the insurance… And when I called for status two months later I was told it was written off. I never got another bill…no negative impact on my credit.

I’m sure were paying for it somehow down the line…lol but I was happy not to have to pay for that ridiculously priced test. Goes to show you should always call about bills! I would say 95% of the time my insurance tries to not pay when they should… I have had claims denied many times because a code was wrong from a doctors office. They resubmit and viola it’s paid.[/QUOTE]

Oh I know exactly what you’re talking about! My insurance have denied so many claims in the past because the codes were wrong or the dr’s office used a secondary code. When I follow up with my dr’s office they always show me their statements and billings and they have put in multiple codes to cover all angles and make sure my insurance process it. I can’t decide whether it’s completely dependent on the ins rep who is processing it and too lazy to punch in other codes on the claims. I always have to stay on top and chase it, and resubmit before they pay it.

2 years ago, I had an annual with my internist and it was a routine checkup…pap, blood work, checking cholestrol and vitamin d. All came back denied 6 months later! You should’ve seen the statement from the lab! I would’ve had to pay $600 for an annual work-up! I called to get it resubmitted, the rep I spoke to reprocess the one item - pap smear assuming she was reprocessing the entire claim. Turns out 2 months later, I find that she only reprocess and paid the one item and everything else have not been resubmitted. I had to call them again and get the claim resubmitted again and finally paid.

This is why I get so nervous and weary about these things especially with billings with labs and insurance claims. It’s terrible that we have to be the ones to stay on top of everything and they can be nonchalant about everything.