Large difference in size between twins

I had my first ultrasound yesterday, and there were two heartbeats. One embryo measured 7 weeks and the other measured 6 weeks 2 days. I have seen other people who have embryos that measure a day or two apart, but this seems like a big difference so early. My gut feeling is that the smaller one is not going to make it, so I am trying not to get too attached the idea that we are having twins. I would really like some information about how likely that smaller one is to make it. If you have been in this position, please let me know how it turned out.

I don’t have any experience but I’m keeping you little ones in my prayers. Never stop cheering for you little one this early it’s easy for measurements to be off. I had an embryo that was abnormal looking from fertilization and the doc said it probably wouldn’t make it to day three let alone past it and it made it all the way to day six. I just kept praying for that little one and it could very well be one of my 14 frozen embryos I’ve never asked, but don’t count that slow grower out.

[quote=ms.campbell0815]I don’t have any experience but I’m keeping you little ones in my prayers. Never stop cheering for you little one this early it’s easy for measurements to be off. I had an embryo that was abnormal looking from fertilization and the doc said it probably wouldn’t make it to day three let alone past it and it made it all the way to day six. I just kept praying for that little one and it could very well be one of my 14 frozen embryos I’ve never asked, but don’t count that slow grower out.[/quote]Thanks for your support. I have a story like that too. I had an egg that was not mature at retrieval, but then matured and fertilized and was the only one to make it all the way to the freeze. They are the little embies that could!

Congratulations on your baby girl! You don’t have much longer now!

It seems way to early to become concerned about size differences that are less than a week different. Was your RE concerned? I forget the value, but while I was pregnant I was told the margin of error on the measurements was something in the neighborhood of ±5 days or so. As someone who had some rough ultrasounds relating to my daughter’s brain deveopment through my pregnancy,I feel pretty strongly about suggesting that ultrasounds are an information gathering tool only–not a diagnostic instrument. They can raise warning flags, but cannot tell you definitively what is happening. Sometimes too much data really is more of a stress inducer rather than anything helpful. The odds of losing a pregnancy after seeing a heartbeat drop significantly. Relax, as hard as that is to do,and enjoy this moment! Congratulations on your BFP.

I don’t have a personal experience to share with you, but I have seen many threads like this pop up through the years. Many of them turn out good, of course some did not, but I think most of the people with twins did have differences in the sizes. Was there a big difference in their heart rates? Sometimes a very slow heart rate can indicate a problem. Will be praying for your little twin to make it! Will you get to have another ultrasound soon? (Sorry if you already answered that question.)

I also think that the heart rate is more of a factor than size. I have a friend who’s twins were very different in size. Today they are happy, healthy 5 year olds. One is still smaller than the other, but they are fine.

Sending you good thoughts!

Ultrasound in the first trimester is +/- 5 days with measurements and your difference is 5 days so I think that is not considered a huge difference. They like to see heartbeats above 120 by now. I know it’s so hard not to worry. Seeing heartbeats is a huge success! Good luck.

My doctor just said we’ll have to wait and see, nothing is certain, etc. He is always very non-committal. I don’t think the heart rate was measured. I wasn’t told at any rate. I was in too much shock to think about asking questions.

Five days difference does not seem like a lot later in the pregnancy, but that seems like a big difference so early. One of them is about twice as big as the other. I guess the difference in size isn’t so much the issue. What is worrisome is that the small one is measuring way behind where it should be.

I didn’t have a second ultrasound scheduled until 11 weeks. I was having some problems with my doctors yesterday. Luckily, I finally got an appointment scheduled for a week from now. I was going to go crazy waiting a month for any news!

I guess I will just have to be patient and try not to worry.

Just wanted to say I agree with the other ladies on this, my clinic also says +/- 5 days because it is not an exact science and at this stage we are talking about mm not inches. The clinic I go to does over 1,300 cycles a year and has a 50% live birth rate so that is ALOT of early ultrasounds.

Definitely +/-5 days.

I transferred a morula and a blast and we believe my blast probably implanted before the morula. Now I have two baby boys born Oct 4th and they were 7lbs 5 oz and 5lbs 15oz at birth.

Baby A always measured ahead of his poor little brother! lol

Don’t worry! Trust me as long as you have good heartbeats and it’s not over a week apart, you’re fine, IMO.

Hey, congratulations on your pregnancy. I could tell you from my own experience that don’t panic unless you get a bad news for sure.

I am pregnant with twins (23 weeks now). I remember how my RE told me in the first 2 ultrasounds that I am pregnant but not to be too hopeful about having twins because one might disappear. I think they say all this to be on the safe side. He wrote Baby B as “doubtful” since he could not get his clear picture at 6 weeks. Over the weeks, there was some length difference. Sorry, I don’t remember how much since it never worried me. I always thought there is plenty of time to catch up. At my 22 weeks ultrasounds in high risk doctor’s office, he said they are both 1 pound so I am guessing they caught up. Baby B (boy) is the one that is kicking and jumping more than Baby A (girl).

Pregnancy brings a huge bundle of worries but I suggest to keep your mind off the worries and enjoy the beautiful feeling of two lives kicking inside. :slight_smile:

P.S: We can’t wait and have started buying stuff for the baby room. We started with two cribs. It is so much fun!