Late OHSS

Looking for encouragement from anyone who has experienced a late-onset of OHSS…

I had no OHSS symptoms after retrieval and before transfer, but 5dp5dt (coincidentally the same day I got my BFP) it hit me. In the course of a few hours, my abdomen swelled and I looked like I was 4 months pregnant. I had an ultrasound and labs done the next day. Labs came back normal, but ultrasound revealed swollen ovaries and quite a bit of fluid. Drove 3 hours to see the RE the next day who repeated the ultrasound and labs. Again, labs were normal and ultrasound was the same. They decided against draining because he said that there really wasn’t that much fluid and he didn’t want to risk it just yet. I was sent home and told to call them if it gets worse. They said I would just KNOW if it was worse (i.e. I would be miserable).

So, here we are almost a week later, and I know I should be thankful that I’m not very sick (after reading many horror stories online) and in the hospital, but my abdomen is huge. I’ve gained 5 lbs. in 6 days. Fortunately, the gain seems to have stabilized a bit, or at least I didn’t gain anything from yesterday to today… But I’m so self-conscious about my already very pregnant looking stomach. I have a very public job and I’m having a very hard time figuring out how I am going to go to work and not have questions asked. We haven’t told many people about our journey, and we are not ready to tell the world that we are pregnant.

I don’t feel horrible, just extremely uncomfortable. Sleeping is very difficult, it hurts to laugh, sneeze and cough, and I get short of breath very easily. When I talked to RE over the phone Friday he was encouraged by the fact that it hadn’t gotten any worse. What he couldn’t tell me was how long this would last.

For those of you that suffered from late OHSS (after transfer), how long did it last? And, does it just suddenly go away or is it more of a gradual thing?

Of course if I wake up tomorrow and it’s totally gone, I’ll most likely become worried about the pregnancy, knowing that OHSS tends to get worse as HCG goes up.
Just looking for encouragement…

Thanks to you all!

Late-onset OHSS typically lasts a few weeks or so. And yes, it generally gets a little worse as hCG levels rise at this point.

It rarely affects a pregnancy. In fact, getting late OHSS is associated with a good IVF outcome.

Congrats on your BFP.

Thank you for your reply. It is reassuring to know that this won’t last forever! I am down 1 lb today, so I’m very hopeful that this is on its way out… If this is a mild case, I cannot imagine what severe OHSS is like. God bless anyone who has to go through that.

Rubes, I don’t think I had much more than a mild OHSS, but I feel you on the self-conscious part! I look about 4 months preggo too. After my E/R I would gain about 4-5 lbs every day by night, then in the AM it would be gone. This went on for about a week. I still look preggo (DH loves to point this out!) and am wearing nothing but my stretchy gym clothes and a couple maternity pants I bought so I have something to wear in public.

Sooo…I don’t have any advice for you…but wanted you to know you’re not alone! Congrats on your BFP. I got mine, too. :slight_smile:

I suffered OHSS after retrieval which got worse after my HCG rose.
The day of retreival I gained 5-6lbs! It started to get a little better, but a few day after transfer it came back with a vengence. I would say it lasted a few weeks. My bell was a little pudgier in the morning, but by the end of the night I looked huge!
I now have a 2 1/2 month old miracle. So look at it as a good thing.

Darlee and JMiller10: Thank you both for sharing your experiences. It’s helpful to know that I’m not the only one stuggling with this. I’m so ready to ENJOY this pregnancy and not just try to hide it all the time. And, congratulations to you both as well, Darlee on your BFP and JMiller on your miracle!

My weight has remained steady over the last 2 days, though I’m still up about 4 lbs from where I was the day of transfer. I realize it’s not that much in the scheme of things, but when it’s ALL in your stomach, yuck!
And, I was hoping NOT to gain 50 lbs this pregnancy (like I did with my first…ugh) but so far, I’m not off to a good start. Hoping the water weight will disappear soon. :cross: