Letrozole question

I just got a call from my clinic they are adding Letrozole to my protocol.

I did long lupron last time and only got 7 follies. I was on 450 IU Follistim

I asked to be switched this time, so they put me on the angtonist protocol as follows:
150 Menopur
375 Follistim
5 Letrozole

Then when I get above they add the Garilinex to the mix.

My question is I have heard that with clomid, it ruins your lining so a lot of times they have to do a FET. I know Letrozole is supposed to be similiar, would this hurt my lining? Last time my lining was great. Will this impact it to where it may not be so great and a FET may be in order? Just curious! thanks all:grouphug: :grouphug:

Femara (letrozole) doesnt hurt your lining!
Good luck

[quote=Jennjack11]I just got a call from my clinic they are adding Letrozole to my protocol.

I did long lupron last time and only got 7 follies. I was on 450 IU Follistim

I asked to be switched this time, so they put me on the angtonist protocol as follows:
150 Menopur
375 Follistim
5 Letrozole

Then when I get above they add the Garilinex to the mix.

My question is I have heard that with clomid, it ruins your lining so a lot of times they have to do a FET. I know Letrozole is supposed to be similiar, would this hurt my lining? Last time my lining was great. Will this impact it to where it may not be so great and a FET may be in order? Just curious! thanks all:grouphug: :grouphug:[/quote]

They are different. Letrozole suppresses estradiol production. Clomid is an estradiol receptor blocker. Both cause the pituitary to release more FSH. They do this because the hypothalamus will release more GnRH to stimulate the pituitary when it senses less estradiol.

I have heard that Clomid does harm the endometrium, but that letrozole does not. I’m not sure what evidence there is for these conclusions.

The letrozole will work up until you start the ganirelix. They will probably have you discontinue the letrozole when you start the ganirelix. Ganirelix is a GnRH antagonist, and therefore immediately shuts down the pituitary, so letrozole cannot stimulate the pituitary in the presence of ganirelix.

Ok. I really want not only a few more eggs, but even more so, better quality. Of the 7, one made a pregnancy, but I lost it at 8/9 weeks and we are pretty sure it was a chromosonal issue. If I can get one that makes me a take home baby I will be super estatic! I really only want one more (unless I get blessed with a twin pregnancy and I’ll take that - just one more delivery really).

I have heard Menopur helps to increase egg quality too. I have a screwy body. I had Graves disease years ago and ever since then my hormones are just screwed up. Things that are supposed to work don’t necessarily work the way they are supposed to!

Anyway, thanks for the input! I would love to hear more about egg quality and if Menopur or Femara work to improve egg quality.

[quote=Jennjack11]Ok. I really want not only a few more eggs, but even more so, better quality. Of the 7, one made a pregnancy, but I lost it at 8/9 weeks and we are pretty sure it was a chromosonal issue. If I can get one that makes me a take home baby I will be super estatic! I really only want one more (unless I get blessed with a twin pregnancy and I’ll take that - just one more delivery really).

I have heard Menopur helps to increase egg quality too. I have a screwy body. I had Graves disease years ago and ever since then my hormones are just screwed up. Things that are supposed to work don’t necessarily work the way they are supposed to!

Anyway, thanks for the input! I would love to hear more about egg quality and if Menopur or Femara work to improve egg quality.[/quote]

Menopur includes some “LH activity”, much of it from a little bit of hCG present in it. There is an ongoing debate regarding the importance and/or benefit of LH activity during stimulation, with respect to egg quality. There are physicians on both sides of this one.

Femara (letrozole) indirectly stimulates the pituitary to release FSH and LH. So again, the LH comes into it.

Some patients are stimulated only with products like Follistim and Gonal F, both of which are recombinant FSH products, and do not contain LH activity.

[quote=Ghost]Menopur includes some “LH activity”, much of it from a little bit of hCG present in it. There is an ongoing debate regarding the importance and/or benefit of LH activity during stimulation, with respect to egg quality. There are physicians on both sides of this one.

Femara (letrozole) indirectly stimulates the pituitary to release FSH and LH. So again, the LH comes into it.

Some patients are stimulated only with products like Follistim and Gonal F, both of which are recombinant FSH products, and do not contain LH activity.[/quote]

Interesting. Thanks for the input. After seeing this, I went and checked out “dr. google” and I saw some interesting articles about many women needing LH activity in IVF Stimulation. I saw in several places that it said some women who need LH supplementation have an increased risk of misscarriage if it not given. That kinda resonated with me as I had an early misscarriage in my last cycle. I do have screwy hormones too.:cross: That introducing Menopur and Femara into my protocol will help with both the quality and quantity this time. :pray: for my :bfp: and take home baby this time!