Litigation may be in my near future!!!

This is my story. As hard as it is for me to tell I want you all to hear it and know exactly what I have went through. Hoping that maybe if I speak out this will NEVER happen to any of you!

October 3, 2010 I started my AF. I went in on CD 2 for my u/s and blood work. On October 12th I went in for CD 10 scan to find 3 mature follies and E2 was 613 we were good to go and we triggered with 10,000 IU’s of HCG. I had my IUI on October 14th. Went back on October 21st for P4 test it was 14 so they put me on progesterone. Checked P4 again on the 28th and it was 23.4. Took a HPT on the 24th got a negative and then took one on the 25th and got a BFP. I went in on the 28th to get my beta drawn. It came back at 18.5. On the 30th we did another one and it was 43.7. I went in again on the Nov. 1st and it was 54. I was told that day to stop my progesterone because this wasn’t viable. I went to the ER on the 6th because I was cramping. My cervix was closed, and high with my mucus plug in place. My beta was at 43. I had a cyst on the left ovary that they said was normal to have until the placenta kicks in to produce what the baby needs. I called my RE to let them know what the hospital said and they told me to come in Wednesday to have a beta and we were going to do a d&c because he thought it was ectopic. I went in Nov. 9th and my beta was at 77. He told me I was 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant and more than likely this was ectopic and he needed to do a d&c. He sent me straight to the hospital and they did the d&c. I was in shock because I could not believe all of this. After surgery he told my husband that I did not have much bleeding at all. He said they did retrieve some tissue from the right side of my uterus and they were sending it off to pathology. They had to dilate my cervix because it was closed. I did not bleed but for about an hour after surgery and that has been it all except for this past Saturday for about 15 minutes. I called today to see what the Pathology results said, and the baby was in the uterus and they said nothing was wrong with it. After I got to counting my days I have realized something.
First, by my LMP I was 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. By the date of the IUI I was 3 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Either way my HCG levels were in normal range for my time of pregnancy. There was no reason to do a d&c on me at all. I was not bleeding. I was cramping but that is normal in pregnancy. My cervix was not opening and my HCG had done a dip but was going back up. It was not in my tube and they found nothing wrong with my baby. I think the RE made a hasty decision and I do not have my baby because he TOOK my baby!!! I have felt like something wasn’t right since that day and I even asked him why was he doing the d&c when my levels were going up. He said it was a classic ectopic. NO it wasn’t. I had the baby in my uterus and nothing was wrong!

I will be going Friday to get a copy of all my records and I will be getting a lawyer. I feel like I was given an abortion rather than a d&c. I hate to even type those words! I am livid, crushed, hurt, and extremely sad! I would never in my wildest dreams would have expected this to happen.

I am sorry if this hurt anyone to read this. I am not looking for an excuse of why I lost my baby, I am just stating facts of what did occur. I have had a m/c before and I know that my body passed the baby. It was 16 years ago and I know it took me a while to get over it, but with all that I know now about this recent event I am beside myself with disbelief and grief. I will get to the bottom of what happened. If by some reason my baby was not destine to make it that is one thing, but if my baby was trying to thrive that is a different story all together. I need to know!

Thank you Essemkay. I do too.

Lovin- I feel your pain and again I am so sorry! I thought it was quite hasty of your RE based on my own experiences, but who am I to say, no M.D. after my name. I hope you find closure and peace somehow, someway so you can try and move ahead! :grouphug:

Thank you Godiva! I remembered today that I was not the only one that went from his office that day straight to the hospital. There were 3 of us total. A little weird if you ask me. I have found a new RE as of today and I need him on my side so when I do find an attorney to take my case he will have my records in had and can testify to what happened. Not to mention I need a new RE anyway and the one I found comes highly recommended and accepted me as a patient today by me just making a phone call. My first appointment with him will be December 6th. I am ready to meet him and actually see what he says about my records. I will actually find out the gender of the baby since they did do that during pathology and I am thinking about making buttons with it’s name and a picture of it’s gestational age on the button. I just can’t let them man do this to any other women. He has to be stopped.

I am so sorry for your lost. I can’t believe that there was so little information before your d&c. I think it is great that you are being so active to prevent it from happening to someone else!

I understand the hurt and anger of having your baby taken from you, as I had a mc after a severe beating from the father of my child. I still, 2 years later, am angry that he took my child, but I know that I can help others with my experience and help it to not happen to others. I hope that you can find peace in helping to prevent this from happening to others as well!

Thank you Julia for your post. I am very sorry you had to endure that type of abuse and that it was the cause of losing your baby. I know I did not want to have to feel angry about this situation. I wanted to feel love and find comfort in what happened. To know that your baby passed in a natural way is more peaceful to endure rather than knowing it’s death was caused by someone else. Not that losing a child in anyway is easy to cope with. It’s not at all. I have called the medical board and this Dr. had never been reported. I don’t know if other women know if this has happened to them or if he just covers his tracks really well. I really don’t know. I don’t know how to go about reach out to other patients to see if maybe they have undergone anything similar, but I do know that I feel like I need to try and figure out those things and maybe I will find out if this has happened to anyone else.

Thank you again for your post and as I said before I am sorry for the pain that you endured in both cases. My heart goes out to you.

Hugs Amanda! I am just reading this post and I am SO sorry for everything!! I wish you could get a hold of the other three woman that went over to the hospital that day…

Lovin- so sorry for your loss! I hope you can get this resolved quickly. It does seem like the decision to do a D&C was rushed. I’m confused though, why your Dr. would do a D&C for a suspected ectopic? D&C’s only remove what’s in the uterus, not the tubes. A methotrexate (??) shot would have been used for the ectopic.

aj: That was my exact question to him. I said…why not give me the shot…why do a d&c if you think it is ectopic. He wrote it up as a Missed AB…which I found out means and Missed abortion/miscarriage. Which to me is still very very very strange.

Shannon: Thank you. I wish I could find out who they were too! I know the faces of the women that were in there with me that day. There wasn’t that many in there. I just wished I knew their names.

I’m with AJ… why would they do a D&C for a suspected ectopic? Even if they thought the pregnancy was not viable and in the uterus, your numbers were low enough that IF it wasn’t viable, you probably would have m/c’ed on your own… way more preferable than the D&C. I had 2 early m/c’s (6 and 8 weeks) and both times I m/c’ed on my own.

I also had an ectopic that ruptured. My beta numbers were in the 3000s. I was given methotrexate but it was too late. If your doctor suspected an ectopic, MTX is the first treatment! And it is supposed to be pretty successful with betas under 1500. You had plenty of time to be monitored…

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your new RE can give you some answers and help you on your journey to having a baby. I hope that you can get what happened with the old RE settled. I don’t know all the facts either, but it sure does sound suspicious.

[quote=jencat215]I’m with AJ… why would they do a D&C for a suspected ectopic? Even if they thought the pregnancy was not viable and in the uterus, your numbers were low enough that IF it wasn’t viable, you probably would have m/c’ed on your own… way more preferable than the D&C. I had 2 early m/c’s (6 and 8 weeks) and both times I m/c’ed on my own.

I also had an ectopic that ruptured. My beta numbers were in the 3000s. I was given methotrexate but it was too late. If your doctor suspected an ectopic, MTX is the first treatment! And it is supposed to be pretty successful with betas under 1500. You had plenty of time to be monitored…

I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your new RE can give you some answers and help you on your journey to having a baby. I hope that you can get what happened with the old RE settled. I don’t know all the facts either, but it sure does sound suspicious.[/quote]

I realized I didn’t answer the question all the way. When I asked him why we weren’t doing the shot instead he said well we don’t really know where it is at. He said we will do the d&c and if your beta is still not going down we will do the shot. Since then I did 1 beta after the d&c and it was 2 days after the procedure. My hcg had went from 77 to 11 in 2 days. They wanted me to do another one 2 days later and I didn’t have it done. I didn’t see the need in it if it had dropped so fast. I got a call Thursday from then and they wanted to know why I didn’t have my beta drawn I told them I didn’t have time. My child and my husband are sick and I had my best friends wedding that I was having to help with and be in. I asked the nurse that called why I even needed another one and she said they needed to follow it to 0 and if it didn’t go down all the way they may need to do another D&C. I said the Hell you are. I don’t think so. I told her I would go to my OB Monday and have them do it, but that clinic isn’t even going to look at me again much less do another procedure on me.

This is awful! I have to tell you my story from this month-it is so similar!! Although I don’t think my pregnancy was viable so I am not in the same state as you…

I had my iuis on 10/24 and 10/25, and started progesterone on 10/27. I tested (hpt) on 11/9 and it was negative so I quit taking the progesterone and worked out etc., because I was spotting and thought my period was starting. Well I continued to spot lightly all week so on 11/14 I took another hpt and it was positive so I started taking progesterone again (But it was probably too late). I went to my RE on 11/16 for beta hcg levels and they were 179, I went back on 11/18 and they were 181, and by this point I was starting to cramp and spot more heavily (red blood). I went in on 11/19 and I was having a lot of pain on my right side and on the ultrasound it looked like there might be an ectopic in my right fallopian tube, so they took me in for a lap that afternoon. Once it there my tubes were clear (my pain was from endometriosis that had come back on my right ovary), so he lasered off the endo and went ahead and did a d&c, my husband asked him if we rushed into this and he seemed confident that I was going to lose the baby soon anyway due to the hcg levels and my bleeding / cramping, and to be honest I agree, b/c I knew something wasn’t right with all the bleeding. Anyway, I am still reeling from all of this and I can’t even imagine what you must be going through if there was a possibility that your pregnancy was still viable! Sometimes this is just so unreal, I really can’t even process all of it!!!:grr:

[quote=Lovinmybabies]This is my story. As hard as it is for me to tell I want you all to hear it and know exactly what I have went through. Hoping that maybe if I speak out this will NEVER happen to any of you!

October 3, 2010 I started my AF. I went in on CD 2 for my u/s and blood work. On October 12th I went in for CD 10 scan to find 3 mature follies and E2 was 613 we were good to go and we triggered with 10,000 IU’s of HCG. I had my IUI on October 14th. Went back on October 21st for P4 test it was 14 so they put me on progesterone. Checked P4 again on the 28th and it was 23.4. Took a HPT on the 24th got a negative and then took one on the 25th and got a BFP. I went in on the 28th to get my beta drawn. It came back at 18.5. On the 30th we did another one and it was 43.7. I went in again on the Nov. 1st and it was 54. I was told that day to stop my progesterone because this wasn’t viable. I went to the ER on the 6th because I was cramping. My cervix was closed, and high with my mucus plug in place. My beta was at 43. I had a cyst on the left ovary that they said was normal to have until the placenta kicks in to produce what the baby needs. I called my RE to let them know what the hospital said and they told me to come in Wednesday to have a beta and we were going to do a d&c because he thought it was ectopic. I went in Nov. 9th and my beta was at 77. He told me I was 5 weeks and 6 days pregnant and more than likely this was ectopic and he needed to do a d&c. He sent me straight to the hospital and they did the d&c. I was in shock because I could not believe all of this. After surgery he told my husband that I did not have much bleeding at all. He said they did retrieve some tissue from the right side of my uterus and they were sending it off to pathology. They had to dilate my cervix because it was closed. I did not bleed but for about an hour after surgery and that has been it all except for this past Saturday for about 15 minutes. I called today to see what the Pathology results said, and the baby was in the uterus and they said nothing was wrong with it. After I got to counting my days I have realized something.
First, by my LMP I was 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant. By the date of the IUI I was 3 weeks and 5 days pregnant. Either way my HCG levels were in normal range for my time of pregnancy. There was no reason to do a d&c on me at all. I was not bleeding. I was cramping but that is normal in pregnancy. My cervix was not opening and my HCG had done a dip but was going back up. It was not in my tube and they found nothing wrong with my baby. I think the RE made a hasty decision and I do not have my baby because he TOOK my baby!!! I have felt like something wasn’t right since that day and I even asked him why was he doing the d&c when my levels were going up. He said it was a classic ectopic. NO it wasn’t. I had the baby in my uterus and nothing was wrong!

I will be going Friday to get a copy of all my records and I will be getting a lawyer. I feel like I was given an abortion rather than a d&c. I hate to even type those words! I am livid, crushed, hurt, and extremely sad! I would never in my wildest dreams would have expected this to happen.

I am sorry if this hurt anyone to read this. I am not looking for an excuse of why I lost my baby, I am just stating facts of what did occur. I have had a m/c before and I know that my body passed the baby. It was 16 years ago and I know it took me a while to get over it, but with all that I know now about this recent event I am beside myself with disbelief and grief. I will get to the bottom of what happened. If by some reason my baby was not destine to make it that is one thing, but if my baby was trying to thrive that is a different story all together. I need to know![/quote]

i am really confused about what happened to you. some of it doesn’t make sense. i got pregnant on our 1st IUI. I had my HCG done it was 5000…a few months later it was still 5000. I was supposed to be 9 weeks and the US was 5 weeks. I did the math 1000 times and I knew that it wasn’t viable, a second HCG confirmed that the HCG was the same 5000. My RE highly recommended methotrexate. I even asked for a D&C (because I didnt want to deal with the bleeding etc…) and she strongly suggested against it. She said under 12 weeks the baby is small enough to pass with the meds. She said she would rather NOT do a D&C because of the risk of scarring the uterus which would make future pregnancies even more difficult.
i am confused by what you went through. Your HCG was going UP! not staying the same, not going down. Though your number seems low? i was 5 weeks (LMP) and my number was 5000ish. Is this what he based his decision on? If he thought it was ectopic, would an US not have confirmed it?? Could he not have waited a week and retested the HCG. Why did he do a D&C instead of meds? Especially knowing that D&C can cause scarring. I would definitely pursue this, something doesn’t add up.

I am sorry you are going through this. Like infertility on it’s own isn’t hard enough to deal with. You put your whole baby’s future in someone elses hands and have to trust that they are capable.
Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.

Sloid: I am sorry you had to go through something similar as well. It’s hard to understand everything when they are throwing so much information your way and saying “Oh yes, this is what needs to be done.” As a patient we tend to trust our doctors sometimes over our own hearts and gut instincts and in my case I should have listened to my heart and my gut because I knew something wasn’t right! You too could have had the same situation happen. I mean it wasn’t doubling but it wasn’t going down either. The bleeding could have been caused for the endo on the ovary. I mean there are other explanations for what happened and not to say that is the case with you, I do still feel and understand your pain. Thank you for responding to this. I am moving forward and have still not found anyone who is willing to take the case but I will continue to look. I pray that you find comfort for your loss in some place. Hugs!

[quote=blubug]i am really confused about what happened to you. some of it doesn’t make sense. i got pregnant on our 1st IUI. I had my HCG done it was 5000…a few months later it was still 5000. I was supposed to be 9 weeks and the US was 5 weeks. I did the math 1000 times and I knew that it wasn’t viable, a second HCG confirmed that the HCG was the same 5000. My RE highly recommended methotrexate. I even asked for a D&C (because I didnt want to deal with the bleeding etc…) and she strongly suggested against it. She said under 12 weeks the baby is small enough to pass with the meds. She said she would rather NOT do a D&C because of the risk of scarring the uterus which would make future pregnancies even more difficult.
i am confused by what you went through. Your HCG was going UP! not staying the same, not going down. Though your number seems low? i was 5 weeks (LMP) and my number was 5000ish. Is this what he based his decision on? If he thought it was ectopic, would an US not have confirmed it?? Could he not have waited a week and retested the HCG. Why did he do a D&C instead of meds? Especially knowing that D&C can cause scarring. I would definitely pursue this, something doesn’t add up.

I am sorry you are going through this. Like infertility on it’s own isn’t hard enough to deal with. You put your whole baby’s future in someone elses hands and have to trust that they are capable.
Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.[/quote]

blubug: I know you are asking the same questions I have asked myself a 100 times. I actually asked for the methotrexate that day he was going to do the d&c and he said no. He said we would do the d&c first and then keep tracking my HCG level and if it wasn’t going down quick enough he would give me the shot then. He did a u/s that day and said he saw fluid around the ovary, well that fluid was from the corpus lutheum not from an ectopic. I think he took advantage of the fact I was so floored that day that I couldn’t have made a rational decision if I had wanted to. I just wish my husband would have taken me home rather than to that hospital. I went back for a 2nd beta 2 days later and it had went from 77 to 11 so I never went back for another beta. I don’t have any answers. All I know is the information they have given to me doesn’t add up.

Thank you for giving your insight on this case and for responding to my post. My thoughts and prayers are with you for your loss. :grouphug:

Lovin : I’m so sorry for ur loss and all that you’re going thru’. It is very kind of you to share your story with everyone on this forum.

i do not have an insight into this , to give you the kind of information the other girls are providing you . But I will :pray: that you have a healthy baby very soon and that you find the strength to go thru’ this journey.

[quote=IvfIndia]Lovin : I’m so sorry for ur loss and all that you’re going thru’. It is very kind of you to share your story with everyone on this forum.

i do not have an insight into this , to give you the kind of information the other girls are providing you . But I will :pray: that you have a healthy baby very soon and that you find the strength to go thru’ this journey.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your kind words and thoughts. It means a lot to me. I am actually at the end of my 2ww on a natural cycle. I ovulated on Thanksgiving and am now almost 3 days late on my period, but as of today still a negative test, so I am just wondering if my body is still trying to regulate or if I had a late implanter? I guess I will know for sure in a few more days.