lovenox for MTHFR during pregnancy

My question for those of you who have been pregnant before with MTHFR, did you stay on lovenox your whole pregnancy and what was your dose? I’m currently on 30mg prefilled syringes once a day. Thanks in advance.

I’m taking lovonox but not for mthfr. I am using it because I had unexplained misccariges. My RE and my OB agreed that for me 28 weeks is when I’ll stop. I think for a classic clotting issue 32-36 weeks is the magic stopping point. I am also on the pre filled 30mg syringes. However my insurance wouldn’t cover brand name lovonox so I take the generic and it only costs me 10$/month.

Also I just read your blog quick. I see you re giving it in your belly. I switched to my legs so I can take belly pictures. It still sucks and stings but at least I don’t lose out on tracking my growing belly. I use the outside of my thigh most because it seems to burn less then the top or inside. Good luck. It will be worth it in the end.

Hi Ladies,

I had to use Lovenox throughout my whole pregnancy. When I made it to 37 weeks I switched to Heparin. After my little one was born, I was on Lovenox for another six weeks. I hope this helps. The shots sucked, but were so worth it!

Lovenox or Heparin

[FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]Prayingforababy09 – Do you mind if I ask why you switched from lovenox to Heparin? My Re put me on Heparin but never mention lovenox. Is it the same or have the same effect? [/SIZE][/FONT]

My doctor said that Lovenox stays in your system 24 hours, while Heparin is only in your system for 12 and at the time I was scheduled to have a C-Section. So it was a precaution so I wouldn’t bleed too much. However, my little girl decided to come on her own. So the night she was born I started my Lovenox again. So they are basically the same, just one stays in your system longer.

[FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]If one stays in your system longer does that mean I would only need one shot of Lovenox per day instead of two shots of heparin per day? If so I’m defiantly going to request the change in medication. Are you taking the brand name or generic?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=‘Segoe UI Mono’][SIZE=3]Gurlnumber 8 – Do you have the generic name for the Lovenox?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Generic Name is Enoxaparin Sodium. I just picked some up today and it was a different manufacture (same exact drug name) So I verified with him and he said there is no difference between brands or manufactures of Lovonox.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I also take the generic brand. My RE said I could stop it at 12 weeks but I’m not comfortable with that. Not at all comfortable! I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow. this is the first time I have ever been to this doctor. I really hope that he will take my mthfr issues seriously so that doesn’t cause me any problems. I would be so worried of the placenta or cord developing a blood clot if I went off of it at 12 weeks. I had always assumed I would be on it my whole pregnancy because that seems to be pretty standard. I certainly don’t want to go off of it at 12 weeks! Sure the injection stings and its certainly not fun but it’s well worth it! I’ll let you know what my OB desides but if he’s for me quitting early I’m going to put up a big fight. :wink:

[QUOTE=Gurlnumber8]Also I just read your blog quick. I see you re giving it in your belly. I switched to my legs so I can take belly pictures. It still sucks and stings but at least I don’t lose out on tracking my growing belly. I use the outside of my thigh most because it seems to burn less then the top or inside. Good luck. It will be worth it in the end.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip! I’ve been too chicken to try it in my thighs yet.:flower:

Right, I took the Lovenox once a day. But honestly I did the Heparin once a day as well. But some people take it twice.

Well just as I feared. my ob does want me to stop after first tri. no way! I made an appt with another ob. I’m just not sure what he’s thinking. he’s not convinced that my first ivf had NO IMPLANTION bc of lack of blood thinner even tho that was the only major medicine change i made and my second ivf had 100% implantion. not going to be that easy to get me to stop use. Finding a dr who knows what this is an how to treat it is hard… at least for me it is.

Crazy. I would fight to be ale to take it until at least 22 weeks. Maybe you can get a compromise. My OB was okay with me taking it as long as it was out of my system by delivery. Thus why I’m stoping around 28 weeks. Do you have a diagnosis based on labs or were they just guessing at what was wrong and the only change was lovonox? some doctors just aren’t willing to bend from normal- at all.

I’m trying to figure out why he doesn’t want me to continue taking it and then switch to heparin later if he’s that worried. yeah i had the diagnosis through blood work after my first ivf. that was why we made the change. I also started baby asprin which i never took the first time. i had a new re for my 2nd ivf. he was a little more open to testing and treating than my first re.