Low AMH- confused and scared

Hi everyone,
I’m so glad I found this forum!
I just turned 35 a couple months ago, and as DH and I have been trying to conceive since April, my OBgyn thought we should have an AMH test. The result came back as super low, 0.43. I was really shocked and upset, and we now have an appointment to consult with an RE next week.
I haven’t yet had a day 3 FSH or antral follicle count done.
The AMH result has me freaking out. My mother and grandmother both went through menopause around 52, so I thought I had more time, but I feel like the AMH is telling me I have very little ovarian reserve left. :frowning:

What questions should I ask the RE in our consult?

I was on birth control pills for years, and just went off in March (April was my first period without BCP). My periods have been regular ever since, though the first couple months were pretty light (so maybe took some time for my body to adjust). I do have an LH surge an ovulation pain, so I think I’m ovulating. Is it possible for my body to still be a little suppressed from the BCP, causing the low AMH?

Does anyone know if the First response FSH/fertility test is accurate? I’ve done it twice and both times it said “normal” but I don’t know that it’s very accurate! I read somewhere that it doesn’t tell you FSH is high unless it’s super high, and you can still have DOR.

Thanks everyone!
Bea

I wish I had some more specific advice to give, but the best that I can do is to suggest that you make sure your RE knows exactly what the test results are, what they mean to you, and how they make you feel. If you don’t want to waste time by starting with less aggressive treatments, make sure to discuss that. Don’t leave the consult until you’re happy with what you’ve talked about.

Mostly, I just wanted to let you know that I’ll be sending positive vibes your way! Best of luck to you! :grouphug::grouphug:

Bea, first of all, you’re in the right place to find advice and support! :welcome: I just found out in Sept that my AMH is low, too, and my mom was 50ish for menopause. My RE explained it doesn’t mean that there are not “enough eggs” or enough time…he said for me, with my other test results, it just means that we now have another piece of info to make our best decisions about treatment. He said it doesn’t mean we only have months or a year…that made me feel better. We decided to take some financial risks and move forward with more aggressive treatment again though. I have always used ovulation predictor tests and got positives, too. If this is your first visit with a RE, there are lots of test they can run for you and your husband to get a good picture of where things stand for you. Good luck!

Thank you both so much for the advice and the welcome and the support. :slight_smile: I’m really glad to hear that your RE said it doesn’t mean there aren’t enough eggs, Angie. What a relief! And I’m sending both of you positive energy too, and best of luck!! I hope everything goes great!

Hugs,
Bea