Low AMH? What are my chances?

Just got my results from my day 3 blood work.

FSH- 5.3 Normal
Estradiol 51pg/ml
AMH- 0.66

AMH is really low. Should I worry about not producing enough eggs when I stim?
Anyone else have this and get a good quantity of eggs and good quality? I just turned 30 why is it so low???

You should have a very good chance of succeeding with IVF due to your age. The AMH will help your RE in deciding the amount of stim medication you may need. You will likely produce less eggs than someone your age with a higher AMH, but those you do produce are likely to very healthy.

You may not get a ton of eggs but your quality should be good due to your age. Just make sure they find the right protocol for you. Now get cracking on that IVF…

Good luck,

Alicia

Your AMH is somewhat low, but not markedly so. It seems to be a loose rule that you usually get about as many eggs as your AMH. So, with an AMH of .66, I would expect to see 6 or 7 mature eggs. Given your age, your quality should be good, so I believe that will be more than enough.

I would just make sure that you are with an RE who treats poor responders and that you are on an aggressive protocol (not long lupron). I would also consider banking so that you have embryos for the future if needed.

I had success when I was 32 with an AMH of .4 and FSH of 18. So, given that you are younger and have a better FSH, I would think you have a really good chance of having success.

We have the same AMH level and see my signature…

It looks like you may have a male factor issue too to deal with, but hopefully it won’t be too much of a problem. Just don’t let too much time go by as someone else posted… You could even consider doing multiple stim cycles depending on how many eggs that you get so that you will have more in the future in case you have a successful pregnancy right away…
Good luck! :babydust:

Don’t be too discouraged. While your AMH is low, you are very young and your FSH is very good. I agree with everything that was said before. My RE said that AMH determines the # of eggs you produce. In my case, antral follicle count was also important. For my first IVF I only had 5 and ended up with 4 eggs only. But for most of my cycles I had many more antral follicles. My FSH also fluctuated. But as you can see for my 2nd IVF even though I had only 7 eggs and we have severe male factor, all eggs fertilized and we ended up with 3 strong embryos on day 5 (one more was of good quality, but not good enough to freeze). Many women in my IVF thread had many more eggs but ended up with the same number or even fewer embryos. So do not give up! Do your best to be healthy for IVF and good luck!

My FSH is 13.6 and AMH 0.55…I’m 33, and just went through my first IVF cycle (we’ve been through 4 failed IUIs and STC’d for 4+ years). As you can see in my siggy, it worked! I didn’t produce many eggs, and of the 6 we retrieved, 3 fertilized, and 3 were transferred. I did a lot in the months leading up to the cycle to try to improve quality. I would highly recommend Julia Indochova’s book Inconceivable, and do your research-there are a lot of therapies that can improve egg quality-yoga, acupuncture, wheatgrass juice, juicing veggies, going organic, Vitamin D… definitely do your research and try to find a RE that is DOR (Diminished Ovarian Reserve) friendly. Good luck to you, there is definitely hope!

I am so glad you asked this question. I am in the same boat… 30 with a low AMH. My RE explained that it just tells him the amount of meds to go with, but that egg quality should be good. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words and reassurance. I am just hoping that they don’t cancel my cycle for failure to respond to the stims. I can’t do this again until Christmas if that is the case. I am an emotional wreck and have already missed too many days of work for appointments and also for being sad and upset and not being able to handle being at work. I cannot do this procedure while I am working. I give huge snaps to anyone who can, but I know that emotionally I cannot. I am a teacher and i have to wait until summer or Christmas to avoid missing too much work. I am just finishing up my first 6 week round of acupuncture on Thursday. I am scheduled to have 4 weeks off and then begin sessions again two weeks before my egg retreival date. I already take folic acid, vitamin D and eat very healthy. I don’t drink or smoke and I am trying to get to the gym when I can. We have sever male factor, but with ICSI that should be handled. I am just so worried about not producing enough eggs. My mom went through complete menopause by age 40. I kept asking my gyno if that was something I should worry about. He told me no over and over again. Apparently he was wrong and now I have waited too long to start TTC. We weren’t ready before, but at least maybe we would have had a better chance. I am just so angry that this is happening to us. Everyone I know has gotten pregnant on the first try even a friend who just got married at 40. She got pregnant on her honeymoon!!! :grr: I hate to wish this on other people, but I hate being the only one I know who has had problems. It makes me feel like God is smiting us or something. I know I shouldn’t think like that, but what other explanation is there? None I suppose and that is what makes it feel so bad.

[QUOTE=HumDucky]Thanks for the kind words and reassurance. I am just hoping that they don’t cancel my cycle for failure to respond to the stims. I can’t do this again until Christmas if that is the case. I am an emotional wreck and have already missed too many days of work for appointments and also for being sad and upset and not being able to handle being at work. I cannot do this procedure while I am working. I give huge snaps to anyone who can, but I know that emotionally I cannot. I am a teacher and i have to wait until summer or Christmas to avoid missing too much work. I am just finishing up my first 6 week round of acupuncture on Thursday. I am scheduled to have 4 weeks off and then begin sessions again two weeks before my egg retreival date. I already take folic acid, vitamin D and eat very healthy. I don’t drink or smoke and I am trying to get to the gym when I can. We have sever male factor, but with ICSI that should be handled. I am just so worried about not producing enough eggs. My mom went through complete menopause by age 40. I kept asking my gyno if that was something I should worry about. He told me no over and over again. Apparently he was wrong and now I have waited too long to start TTC. We weren’t ready before, but at least maybe we would have had a better chance. I am just so angry that this is happening to us. Everyone I know has gotten pregnant on the first try even a friend who just got married at 40. She got pregnant on her honeymoon!!! :grr: I hate to wish this on other people, but I hate being the only one I know who has had problems. It makes me feel like God is smiting us or something. I know I shouldn’t think like that, but what other explanation is there? None I suppose and that is what makes it feel so bad.[/QUOTE]

I know exactly how you feel. I have felt that way many times. That’s why we are here. I went in to my primary doc’s office today, and the nurse that took my vitals is devastated by her “unexpected pregnancy”, and makes sure everyone knows. She even made the comment “oh, you don’t want to end up like me”… All I could think was, “Why does she get a baby when I don’t?” How can people be so insensitive?

I know it seems like you are the only person you know who has had problems…I used to think the same thing. After I became very open about telling people about my infertility problems, I have realized that a lot of people have fertility problems. Often, you just don’t realize it b/c people tend to keep it a secret. Also, with your specific issue (mine too), I know they say the chance of this occurring is low, but I do not believe it. I read over and over about people having this same issue. I also know several people now that have the same problem.

Please don’t be discouraged. I find it unlikely that your cycle will be cancelled given your
AMH level and age. My bet is you respond pretty well. Just please make sure you are on an aggressive protocol with a clinic with good stats and a great lab. Also, if at all possible, consider banking. I wish that I had considered this when I was younger.

I also had low AMH .33 the last time it was checked, but decent FSH. I never produced alot of eggs, but the last cycle I did in January we produced 4 eggs, 3 fertilized and we put back in 3 eggs. 2 implanted and I now am pregnant with triplets. Keep having a positive attitude and believe it will happen :slight_smile: Wishing you the best :babydust: