Low Fertilization w/ICSI

HI-

I just completed my first ivf cycle. I got a BFP but ended in a chemical :grr:

I am nervous about our next cycle because we had 11 eggs retrieved; 10 mature but only 2 fertilized w/ICSI!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you had similar fertilization rates in following cycles?

My RE isn’t changing my protocol because he thought it was a ‘good’ cycle?? I was on 113 gonal-F, lupron 5 (started with BCP & lupron 10).

[quote=boves09]HI-

I just completed my first ivf cycle. I got a BFP but ended in a chemical :grr:

I am nervous about our next cycle because we had 11 eggs retrieved; 10 mature but only 2 fertilized w/ICSI!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you had similar fertilization rates in following cycles?

My RE isn’t changing my protocol because he thought it was a ‘good’ cycle?? I was on 113 gonal-F, lupron 5 (started with BCP & lupron 10).[/quote]

I had a low fertilization rate w/ICSI on IVF#1 - not as low as yours but at 55%, lower than the avg. 70% . My RE said it could be due to poor egg or sperm quality. I and DH took all kinds of supplements (CoQ10, pyncnogenol etc etc) and the next cycle it was 100%.

Boves,

I’m so sorry to hear about your cycle. I’ve been there. It’s so hard to go through. But, I’ve learned that there is hope! We did a cycle in which we only got 6 eggs, 3 received ICSI and only one fertilized. My husband and I got 12 eggs on the next cycle and ICSI was done on 8. Only one out of the eight fertilized. It was devastating to say the least. We had written the cycle off and were ready to move on to the next cycle. But, miraculously, that one embryo was good quality and now we are 35 weeks pregnant with our little boy. One thing that my RE was planning for my next cycle (that we didn’t have to do) was a treatment with Calcium Ionophore. There are generally only two reasons that low fertilization (defined as less than 25% fertilization with ICSI) occurs. Either not enough eggs were retrived, or there is an acrosome deficiency with the sperm. When the sperm enters the egg, it’s supposed to release a chemical that triggers a calcium reaction in the egg. That reaction basically tells the egg, “Hey, I’m here, let’s mix our DNA.” If the egg doesn’t get that message, it has no idea the sperm is there. It doesn’t appear as though you had too few eggs. 12 is a great number. The more eggs you get, the lower the quality of the eggs. So, I’m not surprised that your RE isn’t increasing your meds. However, the Calcium Ionophore can assist the sperm in activating the oocyte. The process is called Assisted Oocyte Activation (AOA). You can google it. There isn’t a ton of info on it because it’s only been used in the US for a few years, but it’s been used in Europe and Asia for a while now. I would ask your RE about it. There aren’t very many embryology labs that are experienced with it, so you may want to look at going somewhere that can help you. Our clinic has used AOA after a cycle with Complete Failed Fertilization (no eggs were fertilized with ICSI) and had normal (60-70%) fertilization and a successful pregnancy in the subsequent cycle. So, it might be something to look into. Good luck! If you have more questions or your RE wants to contact my doctor for more info on AOA, you can send me a private message and I’ll send you the info. I’ve had a couple people on this board do that.

Hi,
I have a very similar story also. My first cycle 6 egg were retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized and only two transferred. That resulted in a negative. My second cycle we got 8 eggs, all 8 were mature but only 1 fertilized. I was devistated since I did not know if my little embaby would make it to day 3. On the day of my transfer I was expecting a cancellation and was already thinking about my 3rd IVF. I was wrong…I had a 6-cell ok quality embaby waiting for me. I had given up and figured it was not going to work. I was 41 and only 1 embaby…I WAS WRONG…my little 6-cell ok quality embaby is now my beautiful 4 1/2 month precious daughter. I found out later just how much of a miracle she really is since the RE only got 1 viable sperm from my DH’s SA!!!

Don’t give up hope because it really does only take one!

I just want to say don’t give up and carry on with the efforts you are putting to get success. of course take advice from your Doctor on as it is always better.