Low Fertilization w/ICSI

HI-

I just completed my first ivf cycle. I got a BFP but ended in a chemical :grr:

I am nervous about our next cycle because we had 11 eggs retrieved; 10 mature but only 2 fertilized w/ICSI!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you had similar fertilization rates in following cycles?

My RE isn’t changing my protocol because he thought it was a ‘good’ cycle?? I was on 113 gonal-F, lupron 5 (started with BCP & lupron 10).

I agree, this was not a bad cycle in terms of getting your eggs to grow. You want to have 10-15 eggs, and that’s where you ended up with minimal stimulation. Your maturity rate is good, too. Fertilization is very low, and it may be function of your DH sperm quality, lab experience, or your egg quality (that’s least likely given that you were a good responder). My recommendation is to look for a different doctor at a different practice so you can use a different lab, assuming you will need it after this cycle. Best of luck!

Am I alone?

Has anyone else experienced such low fertilization rates with ICSI?

We experienced this as well. Last cycle I had 10 mature eggs for ICSI but only 4 fertilized. My RE said it was definitely a sperm issue. They can pick the sperm that look best to use for ICSI, but it doesn’t mean that these sperm are “normal”. Fortunately we got a bfp, but it ended in mc.

Hey there. I am going through this right now. I had my ER yesterday and had 7 eggs retrieved (there were 10 follies but 3 were empty). 5 were mature and were ICSI’d, and I got a phone call this morning to say that so far none had fertilized. Later in the day when I went in to the clinic they told me that now 1 had fertilized and 2 were looking as if they might. No idea if there is any chance or not at this stage, but I do wish that the doctors/embryologists would communicate with me a bit more. This is our 3rd ICSI cycle, and the last 2 have also had low fert rates (see sig). They have told us absolutely nothing except to say that it is “probably a sperm quality” issue. But we have not been advised so far to go with DS, and I don’t know if they are really sure about the cause or they’re just guessing, basically!

Sorry I can’t give you any comfort right now, but I have read plenty of articles to say there’s no reason why another attempt wouldn’t work. Personally if this cycle doesn’t work out I think I will change ER - not because the present clinic don’t know what they’re doing, but because I feel so left out of the process, getting information from them is like getting blood from a stone!

Good luck to you, I hope you try again soon and that you have a better result.

We had low fert rates, too.

[quote=boves09]HI-

I am nervous about our next cycle because we had 11 eggs retrieved; 10 mature but only 2 fertilized w/ICSI!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Have you had similar fertilization rates in following cycles?

My RE isn’t changing my protocol because he thought it was a ‘good’ cycle?? I was on 113 gonal-F, lupron 5 (started with BCP & lupron 10).[/quote]

(((Boves))) I’m sorry about your chemical pg…:frowning: :grouphug:

Yes, we did. See siggie. I had only 2 left to transfer, but it did work. Going in for ER tomorrow…curious to see how our numbers will be this time. RE said he couldn’t pinpoint if the low fertilization rates were due to DH’s sperm or my egg quality…or maybe that was the way it was just suppose to turn out. Turned out good in the end with one of those embabies implanting and going full-term.

[quote=mamamelanie]Hey there. I am going through this right now. I had my ER yesterday and had 7 eggs retrieved (there were 10 follies but 3 were empty). 5 were mature and were ICSI’d, and I got a phone call this morning to say that so far none had fertilized. Later in the day when I went in to the clinic they told me that now 1 had fertilized and 2 were looking as if they might. No idea if there is any chance or not at this stage, but I do wish that the doctors/embryologists would communicate with me a bit more. This is our 3rd ICSI cycle, and the last 2 have also had low fert rates (see sig). They have told us absolutely nothing except to say that it is “probably a sperm quality” issue. But we have not been advised so far to go with DS, and I don’t know if they are really sure about the cause or they’re just guessing, basically!

Sorry I can’t give you any comfort right now, but I have read plenty of articles to say there’s no reason why another attempt wouldn’t work. Personally if this cycle doesn’t work out I think I will change ER - not because the present clinic don’t know what they’re doing, but because I feel so left out of the process, getting information from them is like getting blood from a stone!

Good luck to you, I hope you try again soon and that you have a better result.[/quote]

(((Mamamelanie)))
Any word today if the other two are growing? how is the one that fertilized? I know it is so stressful!!! Please keep us posted…we have a Feb thread or post here…lots of :grouphug: &:pray:

[QUOTE=BlueSkiesGal](((Mamamelanie)))
Any word today if the other two are growing? how is the one that fertilized? I know it is so stressful!!! Please keep us posted…we have a Feb thread or post here…lots of :grouphug: &:pray:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Aimee. The other 2 did not fertilize :frowning: but I had ET this morning with the only embie - a 4-cell grade 1. I know it’s a pretty small chance, but it’s still a chance :cross: :cross: Congratulations on your success!

[QUOTE=BlueSkiesGal](((Mamamelanie)))
Any word today if the other two are growing? how is the one that fertilized? I know it is so stressful!!! Please keep us posted…we have a Feb thread or post here…lots of :grouphug: &:pray:[/QUOTE]

AND I meant to add, good luck for ER today! Wishing you lots of healthy eggies and great fertilization!

((((Mamamelanie)))):cheer: :cross:

Yes, IT IS STILL A CHANCE, and MUCH HIGHER than most other cycles!!! You have a beautiful embryo in you!!! My little DD was 6 cells (day 3) and implanted successfully. I also know there is a gal on here who was successful with a :preg: back in Dec. '10 with a 4-celled (day 2 transfer). See link here…Dec Sheet her name is erin123456. Please have hope & faith for your dear little one. Miracles do still happen. :pray: your one embaby just thrives now that she is back home with momma!!! :grouphug: Congrats on being PUPO!!!:cheer: Thanks for the well wishes for my ER today…

BTW, my sincerst sympathies for your two that didn’t fertilize late…I know how heartbreaking that is. (((Hugs))) Please keep in touch …:pray:

You might check to see if your clinic does IMSI. It’s basically ICSI but under a higher powered magnifying glass to pick the best sperm… It costs a few hundred dollars more, but would be worth it if it is a sperm issue.

Good luck to all you ladies.

Taking supplements worked for us. There are studies showing CoQ10 improves sperm quality (count, morphology, motility) etc. (here is one study example). Other supplements that DH can take are Pyncnogenol, L-Arginine, L-Citrulline etc. It seemed to make a difference in our ICSI fertilization rates.

Yep, we had super low fert rates…

I had 17 eggs at ER, 13 of which were mature. All ICSI’d and only 4 fertilized. What the heck?

But we got our 2 miracle embabies, named Bubbeluh and Chubbeluh. They were 8A perfect embabies yesterday and I know they are growing by the minute in my belly.

Don’t lose hope! I had my venting session and got it all out before my transfer. Now I’m just kicking back and enjoying the ride of the PUPO train.

[QUOTE=BlueSkiesGal]((((Mamamelanie)))):cheer: :cross:

Yes, IT IS STILL A CHANCE, and MUCH HIGHER than most other cycles!!! You have a beautiful embryo in you!!! My little DD was 6 cells (day 3) and implanted successfully. I also know there is a gal on here who was successful with a :preg: back in Dec. '10 with a 4-celled (day 2 transfer). See link here…Dec Sheet her name is erin123456. Please have hope & faith for your dear little one. Miracles do still happen. :pray: your one embaby just thrives now that she is back home with momma!!! :grouphug: Congrats on being PUPO!!!:cheer: Thanks for the well wishes for my ER today…

BTW, my sincerst sympathies for your two that didn’t fertilize late…I know how heartbreaking that is. (((Hugs))) Please keep in touch …:pray:[/QUOTE]

Thanks so much Aimee, you are so sweet. I totally checked out Erin’s profile and am inspired!! Wishing you all the best with the rest of your cycle, and yes, well keep in touch!

Dragonfly - thanks for the advice, I had never heard of this. Good to know what questions to ask later!

[QUOTE=Minty]I had 17 eggs at ER, 13 of which were mature. All ICSI’d and only 4 fertilized. What the heck?

But we got our 2 miracle embabies, named Bubbeluh and Chubbeluh. They were 8A perfect embabies yesterday and I know they are growing by the minute in my belly.

Don’t lose hope! I had my venting session and got it all out before my transfer. Now I’m just kicking back and enjoying the ride of the PUPO train.[/QUOTE]

You’re a very wise lady! Here’s to your twins making it all the way!

[quote=boves09]HI-

My RE isn’t changing my protocol because he thought it was a ‘good’ cycle?? I was on 113 gonal-F, lupron 5 (started with BCP & lupron 10).[/quote]

I had the same thing happen with my 1st full cycle. They retrieved 22, 16 were mature and 6 fertilized. Only 3 made it to blast, though. According to my RE, she said that my eggs looked grainy so it probably was my egg quality. She changed protocols to get better quality eggs. This protocol I got 8 eggs (7 mature) and 5 fertilized, so percentage wise, it was better. Good luck!

I had no fertization my 1st cycle. The next cycle I had 100% fertilization. For me, a change in protocol and clinics made the difference.