Low first beta and progesterone question

1st ivf w/ icsi. Two embryos put back on 3dt. Both were 8cell with minimal fragmentation.

Bleeding bright red blood on days 9,10,11 past 3dt with no clotting and AF type cramps. No bleeding on Sunday (12dp3dt) and a few spots on Monday morning, but that was it. I tested with HPT on late 9,10,11 with +tve results. I only tested because I was sure it was over since I was bleeding. Surprise!

Beta yesterday came back at 64- 16dpo. Nurse said she was cautiously optimistic (this must be their standard phrase) lol. But they wanted to see over 100. Retest tomorrow but I need to wait until Thursday for results since its done at an outside lab and not covered by my cycle. Um, ok…

I asked nurse what my progesterone was, cause I was worried I was bleeding due to supplementation not being enough. Her response:

“We do not test progesterone levels, it is not necessary as we are supplementing nature with the Crinone.” (I’m taking Crinone 1x day in the AM)

So my question to you all is, is not testing the progesterone normal? Should I ask for this? Do you think I have a chance still? And, could the bleeding be from one expelling??

And to top things off, my best friend who never wanted children is literally giving birth as I type this. I can’t be there since I’ve already missed work due to being on self induced bedrest for my bleeding.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Nervous as heck and I want this embie to stick!!

Ummmm no that is not normal. My clinic checks for progesterone and estradiol in addition to HCG. My progesterone has always been ok but with my estrogen it was low when i had a positive hcg in one of my cycles and that was with oral supplementation. However i have heard that with crinone the progesterone blood test is not reliable because the hormone gets absorbed directly into the uterus as opposed to the bloodstream so she may be correct. But i would still insist anyway it is just a simple blood test for your peace of mind.

I also had very heavy bleeding - mine started at 8dp5dt, and was accompanied by strong cramps. I POAS at 9dp5dt and was absolutely shocked to get a positive. Like you, I was basically only testing to confirm it was over. I rushed over to my RE’s office and begged for a beta and progesterone test. They tested the hcg, but refused to test progesterone. The bleeding stopped, but then I had another bout about a week later - again with cramping, the whole works. Asked again for a progesterone test, but again the RE refused.

I started bleeding AGAIN last night. This is such a roller coaster!

My doctor couldn’t figure out last time why I’ve had bleeding - we did transfer 4 embryos, so perhaps I lost one or two. Or maybe it’s just 'cause. They don’t know, I don’t know. Just know that it’s completely nerve wracking.

Sending you my very best wishes!!

EDIT: mine also doesn’t test estradiol - they just have everybody on estrace

[QUOTE=essemkay]I also had very heavy bleeding - mine started at 8dp5dt, and was accompanied by strong cramps. I POAS at 9dp5dt and was absolutely shocked to get a positive. Like you, I was basically only testing to confirm it was over. I rushed over to my RE’s office and begged for a beta and progesterone test. They tested the hcg, but refused to test progesterone. The bleeding stopped, but then I had another bout about a week later - again with cramping, the whole works. Asked again for a progesterone test, but again the RE refused.

I started bleeding AGAIN last night. This is such a roller coaster!

My doctor couldn’t figure out last time why I’ve had bleeding - we did transfer 4 embryos, so perhaps I lost one or two. Or maybe it’s just 'cause. They don’t know, I don’t know. Just know that it’s completely nerve wracking.

Sending you my very best wishes!![/QUOTE]

Thank you! And same to you- lots of sticky vibes!! I don’t even know what to say at this point… I think my clinic will refuse to test my prog as well.

P.S- my clinic is listed in the top 10 in Florida. My dr also told my nurse to tell me to not email him anymore. I emailed him about this because I was so nervous. I was somewhat offended, but what can you say?

hey 111hopes
congrats on ur :bfp:
i hope it stays the same way…
n yeah i surely think that u have a good chance
some womens have heavy implantation bleeding urs can be implantation bleeding too…
i think u should get ur progesterone levels checked
my clinic used to check them
n m having my fingers :cross: for u

[QUOTE=alexi]Ummmm no that is not normal. My clinic checks for progesterone and estradiol in addition to HCG. My progesterone has always been ok but with my estrogen it was low when i had a positive hcg in one of my cycles and that was with oral supplementation. However i have heard that with crinone the progesterone blood test is not reliable because the hormone gets absorbed directly into the uterus as opposed to the bloodstream so she may be correct. But i would still insist anyway it is just a simple blood test for your peace of mind.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alexi for your feedback. Ill ask, but not confident they will accommodate me.

First of all both my pregnancies started at a similar level 16dpo both were viable. Second it’s not useful to check progesterone if you’re taking crinone it’s not readily absorbed into the blood stream so a test would be inaccurate. If u were on injections then it could matter. As for the email… I don’t even have my REs email although rude the way he handled it just remember how he made u feel when u go back for a sibling and pick a different one nothing u can do and ur baby doesn’t like u being upset ! Ps I also had bleeding twice in this current pregnancy and all is fine

[QUOTE=sorcet]First of all both my pregnancies started at a similar level 16dpo both were viable. Second it’s not useful to check progesterone if you’re taking crinone it’s not readily absorbed into the blood stream so a test would be inaccurate. If u were on injections then it could matter. As for the email… I don’t even have my REs email although rude the way he handled it just remember how he made u feel when u go back for a sibling and pick a different one nothing u can do and ur baby doesn’t like u being upset ! Ps I also had bleeding twice in this current pregnancy and all is fine[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sorcet. You give me hope.

111hopes
Check this out. Your doctor must have a reason for not checking your progesterone level since you’re on crinone.

I have always been on PIO shots so the hormone shows up in the bloodstream. But with crinone it doesnt so it may show low levels and not indicative of what’s in your uterus.

Hang in there! And congrats on your BFP

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020207547-progesterone-level-while-using-crinone.html

[QUOTE=alexi]111hopes
Check this out. Your doctor must have a reason for not checking your progesterone level since you’re on crinone.

I have always been on PIO shots so the hormone shows up in the bloodstream. But with crinone it doesnt so it may show low levels and not indicative of what’s in your uterus.

Hang in there! And congrats on your BFP

http://forums.fertilitycommunity.com/vitro-fertilization-ivf/2020207547-progesterone-level-while-using-crinone.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alexi! All of you are so awesome and supportive. I haven’t told my friends and only a few family members about this. Having an outlet of people who understand is incredibly comforting. Thank you all. :flower:

My clinic doesn’t check anything more than hcg with betas. I never bled but I had some cramping the first couple weeks. And just to give you a little hope, my beta 9dp3dt was 71 and I’m currently pregnant with twins! Its hard not to give up hope but I’ll cross my fingers for you!

My clinic didn’t test progesterone either while I was on Crinone and I was getting HCG tests.

I had AF like bleeding this cycle too and was convinced I wasn’t pregnant! A week later I was exhausted and feeling weird and was surprised by a BFP! So far everything is fine. I also bled quite a bit with my son’s pregnancy. For some women, it’s normal.

Hang in there!

It’s pretty common to not test progesterone levels when a patient is on Crinone (or Endometrin). Why would they?

Bleeding is common and has little or no relationship with outcome. Report it to your clinic.

[quote=111hopes]“We do not test progesterone levels, it is not necessary as we are supplementing nature with the Crinone.” (I’m taking Crinone 1x day in the AM)

So my question to you all is, is not testing the progesterone normal? Should I ask for this? Do you think I have a chance still? And, could the bleeding be from one expelling??

And to top things off, my best friend who never wanted children is literally giving birth as I type this. I can’t be there since I’ve already missed work due to being on self induced bedrest for my bleeding.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Nervous as heck and I want this embie to stick!![/quote]

Congrats on your BFP Eirlis!

Ghost- I really didn’t understand that with Crinone testing of progesterone was not a necessity. I’d like to think I am fairly educated when it comes to this process, but obviously, I was completely incorrect. :nerd:

My clinic is aware of the bleeding. They just said if I had anymore prior to my next beta (which I just took) then I was probably miscarrying.

So I sit here now hoping my beta doubled. That’s all I can do. Ill know tomorrow hopefully.

[quote=111hopes]
Ghost- I really didn’t understand that with Crinone testing of progesterone was not a necessity. I’d like to think I am fairly educated when it comes to this process, but obviously, I was completely incorrect. :nerd: [/quote]

Vaginal progesterone supplements get to the uterus directly, not through the bloodstream.

With PIO injections, it makes sense to measure serum progesterone and to ensure it remains above 15 or 20 ng/ml, or whatever criterion the clinic uses, to ensure enough gets to the uterus. But with Crinone or Endometrin, it’s applied more directly and the serum levels are much less relevant.

Quick update. Bad news. Biochem. Thanks for all the support. I don’t really have any words because I was so hopeful. I’m waiting for my husband to come home as I don’t want to upset him while he’s at work.

I’m so very very sorry.

So sorry! :frowning:

Thank you both. I didn’t realize I’d feel this devastated over this early loss. I keep thinking about what I could’ve done differently. Sigh.

As a women, I feel completely incompetent; that my body won’t allow me to do one of the most natural things for a woman to do.