Low HCG levels with IVF

Hi everyone, I wanted to get any feedbacks or comments from anyone who had experienced low hcg levels in the beginning of pregnancy and didn’t miscarry. I had my first hcg test on Monday, August 26th and it was 22. I did another one today, Wednesday, the 28th, and my hcg level was only 20. So it didn’t go up. I had my egg retrieval on August 12th and the doctor said the follicles weren’t all fully grown to it’s size for retrieval since I had a lot going into this. I only managed to get 4 eggs and only 2 fertilized and were transferred on August 15. My last menstrual cycle started on July 31st and I normally ovulate around cycle day 16 so I don’t know if that’s also the case with low hcg levels. The doctors at the fertility office thinks it’s a failed pregnancy. I’ll be going in again this Friday for another blood test to see where the hcg level is. It’s hard to handle bad news after years of trying to conceive. I’ve been crying my eyes out after hearing the bad news today. Your advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

I’m sorry to hear about your IVF retrieval not going according to plan. I understand your disappointment. Was it a 3dt or 5dt? Unfortunately, your levels should have went up within the two day timeframe. But I have heard of both implanting then only one making it. I really hope you get better news Friday. ((HUGS))

I had a 3dt.

I’m very, very sorry. It’s likely a chemical pregnancy. That happened with my first IVF, too.
If you had a lot more follicles and only ended up with 4 eggs, it sounds like you may have been triggered too early. I hope your RE learned a lot from this cycle and the next one brings you success. Big hug! This process sucks.

I did have low levels with my daughter, but the fact that your level went down is a very bad sign. I am sorry (((hugs))). I have had 4 chemical pregnancies, and they are just awful.

[QUOTE=lindat915;n2600249]Hi everyone, I wanted to get any feedbacks or comments from anyone who had experienced low hcg levels in the beginning of pregnancy and didn’t miscarry. I had my first hcg test on Monday, August 26th and it was 22. I did another one today, Wednesday, the 28th, and my hcg level was only 20. So it didn’t go up. I had my egg retrieval on August 12th and the doctor said the follicles weren’t all fully grown to it’s size for retrieval since I had a lot going into this. I only managed to get 4 eggs and only 2 fertilized and were transferred on August 15. My last menstrual cycle started on July 31st and I normally ovulate around cycle day 16 so I don’t know if that’s also the case with low hcg levels. The doctors at the fertility office thinks it’s a failed pregnancy. I’ll be going in again this Friday for another blood test to see where the hcg level is. It’s hard to handle bad news after years of trying to conceive. I’ve been crying my eyes out after hearing the bad news today. Your advice would be very helpful. Thank you![/QUOTE]

You can’t compare an IVF cycle with your normal cycle (unless it was unmedicated, I suppose). You should consider retrieval day as the equivalent of ovulation. I’m curious why they went ahead with retrieval if your doctor was saying your follicles weren’t yet mature.

In any event, while I agree with the others that most likely you’re looking at a chemical, we have all heard stories with positive outcomes from shaky starts. Good luck!!!