Lupron Depot shots

Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 endo during my Lap in July. The doc excised a lot of endo but could not take out all of it. She suggested I go on Lupron depot shots for 3 months. However, I have only seen horror stories on the net so decided to try an IVF without the shots. Had 5 embies including 2 blasts transferred. Still a BFN. Now it seems Lupron is the only option available. Has anyone tried them. What side effects should I expect. i will be given add back therapy with the injections. Can I expect an IVF success post these shots?

I hated the Lupron

I too had stage 4 Endo… I tried Lupron prior to my surgery to see if it would help.The Lupron made me very irratable, had terrible night sweats and hot flashes… My best friend and husband said I was so mean while I was on it…It did help however with the pain from endo but only for 3 months or so… Best of Luck!

Thanks for ur response. Can I ask if u were on any add back meds while on the shots? How soon did ur periods come back after u stopped the shots and were u taking them for infertility due to endo?

I had a lap and hsg done in 2007. Afterwards I was on lupron for 6 months. I had serious hot and cold flashes. I woke up 4 times a night when I was on it. But I have to say that it has been 3 years and my endo was nothing like it was before my lap and lupron. I feel much better even though, like you, the RE couldn’t get all of the endo out. I think it is just different for everyone.
There is bad news though, for me anyway, it did not help me to get pregnant, but my husband also had cancer and radiation around the same time, now he has low counts, so I really can’t say if it would have helped.

[quote=looknomore]Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 endo during my Lap in July. The doc excised a lot of endo but could not take out all of it. She suggested I go on Lupron depot shots for 3 months. However, I have only seen horror stories on the net so decided to try an IVF without the shots. Had 5 embies including 2 blasts transferred. Still a BFN. Now it seems Lupron is the only option available. Has anyone tried them. What side effects should I expect. i will be given add back therapy with the injections. Can I expect an IVF success post these shots?[/quote]

I cannot seem to get pregnant even after two IVF’s. I had the biopsy that tested me for the baby glue (beta 3 protein) and it came back positive that I had it. The Dr thinks maybe the endo is creating a hostile environment. So I decided to get the three month lupron shot and do another IVF in January. I think doing an IVF after being on the Lupron is the way to go. Endo comes back and I don’t want to wait anymore. I have had hot flashes and sometimes I am moody or b*tchy as my husband says, but I think it is way worth it if I get a BFP. Overall the side effects are not that bad. I have not had any add back therapy. Good Luck.

Hey - Thanks ladies for all your responses. I am going in for my first Lupron depot shot this week on day 2 of my period. I will keep updating how I feel on it. My doc is going to give me an add back so i shud get light periods and cycle shud be normal. I would like to share with you what my doc had to say about women with endo. Apparently- endo is a tough nut to crack. Even small micro portions of endo in the pelvic area, effect the quality of the egg (embies arrest and do not grow normally) and hampers implantation by causing immune issues and depriving the body of integrin B which is in impt element for implantation. So- any endo- even a little bit has to be cured before foraying into IVF (this is applicable for moderate to severe endo). Thats why Lap plus lupron depot shots before IVF are considered the best soultion for Endo patients

So- I took the first shot of Lupron Depot 3.75 mg today. The syringe needle was huge but the injection was not too painful. The doc has put me on add back which ie oestrogen pills (progynova) for 21 days and progesterone pills from day 12-21. Hopefully with these I should continue to get some period so the side effects should be almost nothing. Early days to say that though. Also have been put on calcium supplements. Will Update on the side effects part. :cross: Hopefully there are none

Looknomore- I did the same shots as you last year Sept-Dec. For a condition called Adenomyosis. It is like a cousin of endometriosis… lol I did have some s/e, (headaches, weeks of bleeding, and irritable) they were worth it though. Didn’t do any add back therapy. I did a FET in Feb. following my end of Dec. shot, without my period returning. It was successful in a BFP, but due to unrelated issues, I m/c at 11w 2d. I feel like one of the reasons I was successful was that the depot lupron kept my adeno. quiet for so many months. Going for FET again in a few months, minus the big lupron protocol. We will see what happens.

Wishing you all the best and a successful cycle!

I had the same type of procedure in 2007, I had the lap, then Lurpon shots for three months. I had one just after the surgery, April 07, May 07, June 07 then July was my last one. My period did not return till Sept 07. I did three rounds of IUI and nothing. Went straight into IVF and got Pregnant my first round.

I only experienced the hot flashes. Don’t remember being irritable or any of the other but might want to ask my Husband and friends on that one. All in all it was worth it to me. Good luck.

Thanks a lot everyone for the positive feedback. Your stories make me more hopeful about IVF#2 which sometimes gets very difficult. As for the s/e of DL- I have had a headache every single day for the past 3 days. I am prone to migrane and though I would get 1-2 every month, it seems to have aggravated it. But I am managing with some Tylenol and lots of sleep. No other s/e yet. I must admit that I was very worried that I would be completely off sex while on DL but as yet the libido seems to have not taken a hit. Maybe it will come later on into the treatment.

Thanks ladies for your support. I will be happy to hear any other stories on Depot Lupron shots.

xx

I am now on my second Lupron shot for endo. I am on a 6 month treatment, started right after my 3rd Lap. I am on the add back treatments as well. Important to note that if you get a cold or anything else, make sure that you talk directly to a pharmacist, as many medications counteract the add back medication. The add back actually really helped me, I tried a few weeks without it and was miserable. The hot flashes, mood swings, and night sweats really threw me off, but it was much easier to deal with them than the pain I was suffering from endo. While I have heard the horror stories, I have several close friends that have done it before IVF and are currently holding their dear babies. Best of luck.

Hi
I was diagnosed with endo at 18, and Ive had about 5-6 laps since then (I’m 27 now) and I’ve been on Lupron at least once a year for usually 6 mos. at a time. The worst problem for me was hot flashes, though this last time I developed hormone induced depression. Luckily I treated it with Effexor, which also helps with hotflashes!

Vaginal dryness and lack of interest was another side effect. I’m not sure though if the lack of libido was from the Lupron, or for fear of the pain I always have with endo.

My case is fairly severe and very difficult to treat. My dr. calls me his “quandry.” I’m not sure that’s a good thing but I know I’m in good hands!

My dh and I were not ready to TTC but this year in spite of the Lupron and the Mirena IUD (which I had for 5 years) my endo was out of control. My dh, dr, and myself were all geared for a hysterectomy. Then my dh said we at least had to TTC, so we have been trying for 3 mos. now. I finally after multiple b2b stimulation injections developed follicles. Dr. Said the Lupron was not the cause of not making follicles or ovulating.

On the day of IUI, we went to the dr and turns out my dh s/a showed super low count, at 1 mill for insem. and poor motility. So, there’s another factor we’ve now added to the mix. We can’t afford IVF just yet but it may be our best, and possibly only option. I’m nervous about what will happen once my period comes back. I’ve been on the last 3 mos. off meds, so we’ll have to see.

I’m in the 2ww, with 1 week left. Im praying this was our shot … cuz af for me is a brutal nightmare.

Sounds like Lupron for you is the best way to go, and honestly, in spite of all my breathru endo, Lupron has been a God send and the only thing that remotely worked (co insided with the Mirena).

Good luck & baby dust!

Thankyou Julia and Bham for ur inputs. I wish both of u all the best.

The add back that I am on is actually HRT which is given to women after hysterectomy. Its a combination of oestrogen pills taken from day1-21 and progesterone added from day 12. This will also give me a light period and my doc feels give me almost no side effects. I am also on calcium supplements. I must say that I feel quite normal till now. No hot flashes, no vaginal dryness- nothing.

The only thing is that I have been feeling a lot of IBD like symptoms. I had been diagnosed with IBD 10 years back and now know that endo has similar symptoms esp grade 4 which is spread till the bowels (gas, nausea, abdominal pain, loose motions etc). The literature of the injection says that in the 1st 2 weeks the symptoms flare up before getting better. Am hoping its just that. Anyone had similar experiences?

[QUOTE=looknomore]Hi Everyone,

I was diagnosed with stage 4 endo during my Lap in July. The doc excised a lot of endo but could not take out all of it. She suggested I go on Lupron depot shots for 3 months. However, I have only seen horror stories on the net so decided to try an IVF without the shots. Had 5 embies including 2 blasts transferred. Still a BFN. Now it seems Lupron is the only option available. Has anyone tried them. What side effects should I expect. i will be given add back therapy with the injections. Can I expect an IVF success post these shots?[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=4]Yes not a problem if timed properly .

Regards,
Dr. Goral
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thankyou Dr Goral for ur response.

May I ask what you mean by “if timed properly”. Are your referring to timing ivf post Lupron depot? I would appreciate if you could elaborate a bit more on your comment. Thanks

[QUOTE=looknomore]

The only thing is that I have been feeling a lot of IBD like symptoms. I had been diagnosed with IBD 10 years back and now know that endo has similar symptoms esp grade 4 which is spread till the bowels (gas, nausea, abdominal pain, loose motions etc). The literature of the injection says that in the 1st 2 weeks the symptoms flare up before getting better. Am hoping its just that. Anyone had similar experiences?[/QUOTE]

I too have IBD. The symptoms definitely flared for me a little, but I had my first round one week after my LAP so I think it wasn’t too bad since I my body was still recovering from that. I went from the end of July until now with almost no symptoms, just side effects (hot flashes, night sweats,etc.) Unfortunately for me I’m in the 2nd month of my 2nd round and I’m starting to have symptoms again.

Thanks for your response julia. I am currently in the 3rd week of my 1st shot and the IBD symptoms have reduced to minimal levels. I get the 2nd shot next week and I guess will then know if IBD is back. The only side effect I am suffering from is frequent headaches

I hope you have great success with your treatment! Since I am on the 3month shots, I have a long time to wait until I can move into another type of treatment. I have been told by several friends who have been through this that I may want to look into going Gluten free in my diet to help both the Endo and IBD. From what I have found it looks like it may help me, so I’m taking it with me to my Dr. in January.

AF arrived yesterday accompanied by pain and cramping but I did not have to take a painkiller though and now am relatively painfree. The bleeding is quite heavy too. I go in for the 2nd shot tomm- exactly 28 days after my 1st. RE was happy that AF arrived as it probably means I am not over suppressed and should expect to get back to my normal cycle soon after my last shot. But I thought the whole idea was to stop menses. I am confused :confused:

looknomore- I thought it was suppossed to stop your cycle. I had the 3 month shot in late September and had a brief period in October and have not had one since. I only have hot flashes occassionally. Maybe it is different with the one month shots? I don’t know.