Lupron Question?

I’m not doing IVF at this point, only IUI, but my RE has changed my protocol for the cycle coming up. He’s going to have me do 21 days of BC pills, then Lupron, then on to my usual combo of bravelle/menopur. Does anyone have any experience with Lupron? Please share. Or is there another med that does the same thing?? I would appreciate yur comments!!

What are you wondering about it? It stops ovulation from happening. Let me know what specific questions you have and I can try and help!

Lots of ladies on these boards (including me) have been on Lupron. It’s basically a subcutaneous injectable. Like Baby said, it stops ovulation.

My side effects on it included a mild headache (not even worth taking a Tylenol for) and facial flushing/hot flashes. Sometimes I got a tiny whelp at the injection site that itched a bit, but nothing bothersome.

Good luck!

[QUOTE=lucyddr]Lots of ladies on these boards (including me) have been on Lupron. It’s basically a subcutaneous injectable. Like Baby said, it stops ovulation.

My side effects on it included a mild headache (not even worth taking a Tylenol for) and facial flushing/hot flashes. Sometimes I got a tiny whelp at the injection site that itched a bit, but nothing bothersome.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Same here…same symptoms. They don’t usually last long, so it’s rather easy to get used to. The headaches were not really worth acknowledging for me since like lucy said, they quite mild!

Again, good luck!!!

I have always been on lupron… like the other ladies said it supresses you or keeps you from ovulating.

I have the opposite concern. I have always been on lupron and now for my Jan. FET I am not on it. This makes me nervous. How do they know that I won’t ovulate before hand??? I go in for my baseline and start the FET cycle on Wednesday so I will be asking more questions then. Any thoughts??

Instead of Lupron you use Ganirelix which prevents ovulation. I did four shots on days 6,7,8, & 9 of stimulating. Hope that helps!

Yes. Lupron (leuprolide acetate) is one of the GnRH agonists.

The others are synarel, buserelin, and triptorelin. Synarel is available as a nasal spray in the United States. I don’t believe triptorelin is available in the USA. They all do the same thing.

They all activate the GnRH receptors in your pituitary gland in your brain. GnRH (gonadotropin releasing hormone) is a hormone released by your hypothalamus to stimulate your pituitary to release FSH and LH.

By stimulating the pituitary with daily doses over a long period, the pituitary is gradually desensitized to GnRH. This makes it unlikely to have an LH surge at an inopportune time during stimulation. That’s the usual use of Lupron in an IVF cycle, but there are other uses.

Another different family of drugs used to achieve the same effect is the GnRH antagonists. These include ganirelix and cetrotide. These bind to the GnRH receptor, so that GnRH cannot get to it, but do not activate it. In other words, they shut down the pituitary immediately, preventing an LH surge, without needing several days of injections to desensitize the pituitary. So these usually don’t need to be initiated until several days into stimulation.

The GnRH agonists (like Lupron) are less expensive, but require more injections. Maybe 15 or 20 injections, but the total cost is only about $100.

The GnRH antagonists (like ganirelix) are expensive, but require fewer injections. Maybe 5 injections or so, but they cost more than $100 each.

One advantage of the antagonist protocol is that it leaves the option of using an agonist (like Lupron) for the trigger injection. This is becoming a popular way to avoid OHSS.

Yet another use of Lupron is in the flare protocols. Like GnRH, Lupron will cause a flare of FSH when first started, and this FSH from the patient’s pituitary can be used in some protocols to get the follicles developing.

I have been on Lupron four times. Side effects are bearable – headache (dull headache like the others said), an occasional hot flash, and a few times I had a metallic taste in my mouth. Overall, they are pretty manageable side efffects, if you get any at all.

I’m on lupron for the first time, for the past five days. I’ve had a few mild headaches, and the injection site is itchy for a few minutes afterward. Other than that, totally ok. It’s also with a smaller needle, so the injection itself does not hurt - yay for that!!

Lupron Nightmare

I don’t want to scare anyone but I wanted to share my experience with you. I was on Lupron for 6 days and it shut my immue system down. I didn’t sleep the entire six days I say up all night. I had hot flashes to the point all of my windows were open in my house. I was moody and I had a terrible case of GERDS. Not to mention the awful panic attackes. My poor body went through so much they had to cancel my cycle. I’m still not 100% and I have been offit for almost a month. So please ladies be careful with using this drug.