Meds that are safe for a cold

Im currently in my 2ww after my first IUI and I have come down with a terrible cold/chest congestion. I called a pharmacy and they said that I shouldnt take anything because this is when it would affect the baby the most because “the cells are rapidly dividing”. I am so nervous to take my chances with taking some meds but I am so desperate because I am not sleeping and feel miserable! Any suggestions???

I have no idea, but I’m in a similar situation. I am on day 5 of Clomid and about to take my gonal-f injections tonight, and have the worst cold/sinus infection. I hope someone else can help us with better advice! I was considering just quitting this cycle, but hopefully I’ll feel better in a couple days by IUI time.

I hope you feel better! Try to at least drink a lot of fluids and get some rest.

I would like to know this too. I accidentally left the heat on all night and woke up with congestion, ears hurting, etc…

When i was pregnant i could take any tylenol product. Meaning tylenol cold.

Thanks so much missing. I was just sitting here staring at the bottle of my tylenol flu & severe cold meds wishing I could take it.

I was told no medicine with more that one ingredient. You can go to safefetus.com and it tells you what class medicines are and how bad they are. Moat of the time I tried natural remedies (sit in the bathroom with a hot shower running for steam, etc). my doc authorized sudafed at one point because I was so sick, but even then I had to take sudafed and tylenol separately, no medicine with both in one, does that make sense?

[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman]MILD HEADACHE OR PAIN - You may use Tylenol or Extra-Strength Tylenol.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]HEAD COLDS OR ALLERGIES - You may use Sudafed, Co-Tylenol, or Chlor-Trimeton. Normal saline nose drops may be used. However, any nasal spray containing medication such as Afrin, is not recommended. We also discourage the use of nasal sprays such as Actifed. If you do not respond to these medications or develop a high fever, please call our office.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]COUGH - We recommend Robitussin or Benylin. Should you develop a temperature greater than 101, chest pain, green or yellow sputum (mucous), or have persistent cough which is unresponsive to this treatment, please call the office for instructions.[/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman]That is what my Ob said is safe to use. Hope this is helpful too you.[/FONT][/LEFT]

One of the nurses called me back and left a message - she said anything safe to take during pregnancy is safe to take during TTC, but I’m not sure I believe that with everything cold meds could do to cm or my lining??? I guess Mucinex would be safe since people take that with Clomid a lot, but I’m not sure that’s what is going to make me feel better.

A friend of mine was preggers and she gave me the list below of meds that are safe to take while pregnant:

Tylenol:1-2tablets every 3-4hrs for headache, fever, pain
Actifed:1-2tablets every 4-6hrs for stuffy runny nose, sinus
Sudafed: 1-2tablets every 4-6hrs for stuffy nose, sinus
Robitussin:1-2teaspoon every 4-6hrs for cough
Cepacol lozenges: as directed for sore throat
Rolaids: as directed for heartburn
Tums: as directed forheartburn
Unisom: half tablet every morning for nausea
Vitamin b6: 50-75mg every day for nausea
Emetrol: 1-2tbsp every15mins, max 5X for nausea,vomiting
Benadryl: as directed for allergies
Clotrimazole{mycelex7}: as directed for vaginal yeast infection
Milk of magnesia: 1-2teaspoon at bedtime for constipation

I was reading through these posts and noticed a lot of mention to Sudafed. I’ve worked in Pharmacy for years now and would not recommend Regular sudafed to any pregnant person. (especially important to those in the 2ww since cells are dividing rapidly) I do not know how Sudafed has been regulated in Canada or elsewhere outside the US but in the US there are now two formulations. “regular” sudafed has pseudoephedrine as the main ingredient. Sudafed PE does not have this.
My RE ok’d Sudafed PE if needed but NO sudafed/other medicine with any pseudoephedrine in it.

Afraid to take meds while ttc. Well get some OJ, Cranberry Juice or grapefruit juice to help fight the cold as they are 100% V-C. on cranberry juice don’t get the cocktail but the 100% cranberry juice. Drink plenty of water too. Drink some HOT Chicken broth or Chicken noodle soup. Get a hot wet wash clothes an place next to nose an breath in the mositure from the steam. Take your prenatal vitmains don’t stop.

Natural ways to cope with symptoms of the common cold are: use of a humidifier or steam, saline nose drops for a stuffy nose, saline gargle for sore or itchy throat, chicken soup and rest.

If don’t get feeling no better call your RE or OB an they will help you.

Good Luck an get well soon. Make sure you juices has 100% V-C not that cocktail junk.

[quote=K&EMommy]I was reading through these posts and noticed a lot of mention to Sudafed. I’ve worked in Pharmacy for years now and would not recommend Regular sudafed to any pregnant person. (especially important to those in the 2ww since cells are dividing rapidly) I do not know how Sudafed has been regulated in Canada or elsewhere outside the US but in the US there are now two formulations. “regular” sudafed has pseudoephedrine as the main ingredient. Sudafed PE does not have this.
My RE ok’d Sudafed PE if needed but NO sudafed/other medicine with any pseudoephedrine in it.[/quote]

K&E I’ve never looked up the ingredients on lots of these meds. I was only posting what my Ob said was safe too take. If a person has a rare condition they can’t take Sudafed PE as it contains a certain sugar that is bad for them. I’m thankful never had taken any of the Sudafed. I always figure out other ways to get around a cold if can. Like now I drinks lots of water an juices that pure V-C no cocktails. Thanks for the information about the Sudafed never known it.

Thank you all for your replies. I ended up going to the Dr yesterday, who didn’t really do much for me. He said the only thing that they would reccomend taking, and would deem safe is benadryl (which has helped dry my sinuses up). Other than that Ive just been taking tylenol to keep the fever away and doing the netti pot sinus rinse, which has helped tremendously! Im thinking its just viral anyways, so all I can do it treat the symptoms.