Melatonin???

I am so confused about whether to take Melatonin or not! There seems to be so much conflicting information out there. My RE doesn’t mind if I take it but he is not exactly recommending that I do…
I am currently taking it for 2 reasons, first to try to help egg quality and second, because I am not a good sleeper and the stress of infertility make my sleep worse…melatonin has been great for sleep!
I just had a failed IVF cycle and was going to take it for 3 months until my next IVF cycle in October…
Here is an article that says it is helpful for egg quality:
Journal of Ovarian Research | Full text | The role of melatonin as an antioxidant in the follicle
But then I am reading about melatonin potentially blocking ovulation.
So does this mean you should take melatonin just before your IVF cycle??What have your RE’s recommended and what is the basis for their recommendation? Help!

I saw this and just wanted to say that I did the “female cocktail” for about 2 1/2 months before my last IVF and it included Melatonin. I’ve never felt better physically than I did during that time and I attribute a lot of it to getting great sleep using a natural hormone instead of an unnatural sedative. My IVF didn’t work but 2 months later, after 8 years of infertility, endo, and an AMH of 0.2, I got pregnant naturally for the first time ever. I really think my lining had an issue during my IVF otherwise I think the cycle would have worked. My lining kept trying to shed during the cycle but my RE felt it wasn’t a big deal. I was given a 10% chance of success with IVF using my eggs, and a 1% chance of natural conception. So I already had everything working against me. So Melatonin (at least for me) only improved my chances I believe. I wish you the best in October and hope everything works out for you :slight_smile:
OH, and BTW, I had been using Melatonin occasionally at the time of my natural conception! That’s the only thing from the cocktail I was still using from time to time.

I took it for a while and loved that I was sleeping. However when I went for a second opinion from a new RE she strongly discouraged it stating it can cause cysts. So here’s the other side of the coin. Sorry to be a downer.

I was taking melatonin throughout my cycle because I cycled in India and had major jet lag. I didn’t know at the time that it’s sometimes recommended. It certainly did not hurt because it was my only cycle that worked and we had a baby boy.