Menopur 300?

Hello - I am in day four of stemming (think that is the right word to use :slight_smile: using 300 units of Menopur (also taking suprefact). This is our first IVF. I have been reading different threads and most are only taking 75 or 150 - isn’t 300 a lot, considering that this is my first one?

[QUOTE=pepplesincarmel]Hello - I am in day four of stemming (think that is the right word to use :slight_smile: using 300 units of Menopur (also taking suprefact). This is our first IVF. I have been reading different threads and most are only taking 75 or 150 - isn’t 300 a lot, considering that this is my first one?[/QUOTE]

Are you taking any other meds with the Menopur?

Follistim? Bravelle?

I’m starting out at 150iu Menopur and 75iu Follistim.

When I did my last IVF that was converted from IUI I was only taking 150iu then too.

I think it depends on a lot of things like your AMH and AFC. Did you have low(er) AMH?

No only Menopur and 0.5 of suprefact… I have been injecting the suprefact since april 14th and the menopur since may 9th. We will have our first sonar tomorrow to see how things are progressing, also to see if they need to change the dosage.

No blood test has been done during this period which is a bit strange I think. I am gonna ask about that.

What is AMH and AMC? Sorry, totally new to this :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pepplesincarmel]No only Menopur and 0.5 of suprefact… I have been injecting the suprefact since april 14th and the menopur since may 9th. We will have our first sonar tomorrow to see how things are progressing, also to see if they need to change the dosage.

No blood test has been done during this period which is a bit strange I think. I am gonna ask about that.

What is AMH and AMC? Sorry, totally new to this :)[/QUOTE]

My RE does an initial U/S at the beginning of the cycle and then does b/w on the 3rd, 5th and 7th day of stims (as well as U/S).

So, if you’ve only been stimming since the 9th you’ll be having b/w on day 4. No biggie.

AFC = antral follicle count
You can read about it here:
Antral Follicle Counts, Testing Ovarian Reserve Predicts IVF Response

AMH - Anti-Mullerian Hormone
AMH Fertility Test, Anti-Mullerian Hormone

I’m on my first cycle too, so I’m not 100% sure what they mean, but here is my understanding:

AMH is a value that correlates with how many eggs Drs think you have left. The lower the number the less eggs

AFC is your baseline follicle count before you starting stimming.

My RE doesn’t do blood work either, so it doesn’t seem to be essential, you may just have more ultra sounds to monitor things

[quote=pepplesincarmel]No only Menopur and 0.5 of suprefact… I have been injecting the suprefact since april 14th and the menopur since may 9th. We will have our first sonar tomorrow to see how things are progressing, also to see if they need to change the dosage.

What is AMH and AMC? Sorry, totally new to this :)[/quote]

You are on a long agonist protocol, the most common protocol worldwide. This protocol has been used millions of times. 300IU per day is not that unusual for an FSH dose (Menopur is an FSH product, with some LH activity provided by small amounts of LH and hCG).

Suprefact is a GnRH agonist. It does not stimulate your follicles when used this way, but is used to prevent a premature LH surge from your pituitary.

AMH = anti-Mullerian Hormone, sometimes called Mullerian inhibiting substance (MIS). It’s produced by very early follicles and a low concentration in blood suggests few such follicles and therefore low ovarian reserve. So AMH level is used to test for diminished ovarian reserve.

AFC = Antral follicle count. Antral follicles can be observed and counted on ultrasound. Again, a low count suggests diminished ovarian reserve.

Another common test for ovarian reserve is to measure serum FSH early in a menstrual cycle. A high level of FSH suggests diminished ovarian reserve.

I took 300 of Menopur for 13 days, in addition to my other meds. Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone!! My first checkup was yesterday (day 5 of stemming) and apparently “not a lot happening”. She did not see anything coming from the right ovary and two small ones are coming from the left one. It was obvious that she was expecting to see something more.

But I am to continue with 300 units of menopur and have another checkup on friday. Hope there will be something more to see then.

I took a little bit of maca powder yesterday with dinner - not sure if it will help to get things moving but I hope so :slight_smile:

my first dr had me on 450 menopur for 7 cycles…average 8 days each cycle

I don’t produce LH on my own, and Menopur is one of the few drugs that includes LH along with the FSH you need to develop healthy eggs.

That being said, I do not react very well to high doses of Menopur. My second cycle ever (back in 2009) was canceled when they raised my Menopur and everything died out. We found that adding Gonal F (strictly FSH) produced much better results.

I’m not sure why they chose to do Menopur only with you, but if you find that this cycle is a bust, it might be worth suggesting adding Gonal (or something similar) to help with growth. I had to make that suggestion and I ended up overstimming with a billion follicles the next cycle. For me, the Gonal/Menopur “cocktail” works wonderfully. The Gonal seems to help the number and size of eggs, and the Menopur seems to create good quality. At our recent retrieval, we retrieved 10 eggs and they all fertilized :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you!