Methotrexate side effects...10 days after

Hello ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had a situation that is similar to what I’m going through right now.

I had 2 injections of methotrexate, 1 on the 20 and 1 on the 27th of december. After the first shot I didnt feel anything, after the second one, I started having AF cramps and bleeding around 4 days after the shot. At some point the cramps were getting very intense, so I went to the ER to make sure everything was ok. They examined me and did some blood test, and told me that it was normal. And they told me that was my period.

Then those cramps stopped, only for worse abdominal cramps to start. Not AF cramps at all. I feel like my entire body hurts. My stomach, liver, and uterus hurt. It even hurts when I go to the bathroom. ( sorry Tmi) I also feel very bloated. The cramps are like sharp knife pains that come and go.

I went to the ER Again in the middle of the night friday because I was very worried ( and I couldnt sleep !) . They made me wait for hours before the doctor examined me and made me pass blood test and an xray. She said she would rule out internal bleeding since all my tests came back ok ( but I’m still going for an U/s tomorrow just to be safe) She thinks it’s the aftermath of the methotrexate that does that.

I was wondering if anyone kept on feeling weird adbominal cramps more than a week after the shot? I still feel worried, although my cramps are not as bad today. I’d appreciate if anyone wants to share.

Just to mention, I’ve also been taking naproxen for the pain ( that had been prescribed to me by the er doctor)

[quote=Frederica]Hello ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had a situation that is similar to what I’m going through right now.

I had 2 injections of methotrexate, 1 on the 20 and 1 on the 27th of december. After the first shot I didnt feel anything, after the second one, I started having AF cramps and bleeding around 4 days after the shot. At some point the cramps were getting very intense, so I went to the ER to make sure everything was ok. They examined me and did some blood test, and told me that it was normal. And they told me that was my period.

Then those cramps stopped, only for worse abdominal cramps to start. Not AF cramps at all. I feel like my entire body hurts. My stomach, liver, and uterus hurt. It even hurts when I go to the bathroom. ( sorry Tmi) I also feel very bloated. The cramps are like sharp knife pains that come and go.

I went to the ER Again in the middle of the night friday because I was very worried ( and I couldnt sleep !) . They made me wait for hours before the doctor examined me and made me pass blood test and an xray. She said she would rule out internal bleeding since all my tests came back ok ( but I’m still going for an U/s tomorrow just to be safe) She thinks it’s the aftermath of the methotrexate that does that.

I was wondering if anyone kept on feeling weird adbominal cramps more than a week after the shot? I still feel worried, although my cramps are not as bad today. I’d appreciate if anyone wants to share.

Just to mention, I’ve also been taking naproxen for the pain ( that had been prescribed to me by the er doctor)[/quote]
Hi there,
Sorry you have had to go through this. I had very bad cramping about a week after getting the shot. I could almost feel my uterus contracting and it was extremely painful. I remember laying in bed in a fetal position trying to breathe through it. DH was worried. I finally loaded up on tylenol and eventually feel asleep. I don’t know if it was the methotrexate or my body expelling the tissue but it was painful. I think my beta was about the same as your highest as well. It passed though and I felt back to myself in the next few days. Hope you feel back to normal soon.

[QUOTE=mabelina01]Hi there,
Sorry you have had to go through this. I had very bad cramping about a week after getting the shot. I could almost feel my uterus contracting and it was extremely painful. I remember laying in bed in a fetal position trying to breathe through it. DH was worried. I finally loaded up on tylenol and eventually feel asleep. I don’t know if it was the methotrexate or my body expelling the tissue but it was painful. I think my beta was about the same as your highest as well. It passed though and I felt back to myself in the next few days. Hope you feel back to normal soon.[/QUOTE]

I’m sorry you had to go through this as well. I am really hoping my cramps/pains will go away soon. Today is a little better than yesterday. So I will :pray:. I just find it weird because I had AF january 1st, and it ended 2 days ago. I don’t understand why the cramps continue…and not just in the uterus, I feel like they are all over

Thank you for sharing your story.

I went for an u/s this afternoon. The nurse spent almost half an hour taking pictures, then came back and told me the doctor would let me know for the results? I was surprised they wouldn’t tell me on the spot…
So now I have no idea when they’ll call me…

Sorry you’re still feeling crampy :frowning: I hope you’re drinking plenty of water!!

[QUOTE=JnJ’sJourney]Sorry you’re still feeling crampy :frowning: I hope you’re drinking plenty of water!![/QUOTE]

JnJ’s thanks for the support… I will keep you posted on what happens. I’m still feeling pretty bad tonight.
Haven’t heard from the hospital, so I’m guessing there was nothing too critical on the u/s.

I just cant wait to feel better.

Update

So just wanted to give an update on my situation…Good and bad news:

Good news: the cramps are slowly fading away, so I’m feeling slightly better. I saw my family doctor that also told me that it was normal sometimes after methotrexate to have such side effects. I’m still not 100% but let’s say it’s better!

Bad news: I finally got the situation of the ultrasound I passed on monday; they found a gestational sac in the uterus! around 6 weeks. Obviously the pregnancy is terminated, but HOW couldn’t they see it before. So basically it was not ectopic like they thought, and I took the methotrexate for nothing. Now since the sac is still there, they prescribed me misoprostol which I took 2 days ago. Unfortunately nothing happened. No cramps no bleeding. It just gave me a bit of fever.

I just can’t wait for all of this to be over…and to feel like my normal self again. I’m going back to see the doctor I saw at the hospital on wednesday for another us and beta. I really hope the sac will have passed by then!

[quote=Frederica]So just wanted to give an update on my situation…Good and bad news:

Good news: the cramps are slowly fading away, so I’m feeling slightly better. I saw my family doctor that also told me that it was normal sometimes after methotrexate to have such side effects. I’m still not 100% but let’s say it’s better!

Bad news: I finally got the situation of the ultrasound I passed on monday; they found a gestational sac in the uterus! around 6 weeks. Obviously the pregnancy is terminated, but HOW couldn’t they see it before. So basically it was not ectopic like they thought, and I took the methotrexate for nothing. Now since the sac is still there, they prescribed me misoprostol which I took 2 days ago. Unfortunately nothing happened. No cramps no bleeding. It just gave me a bit of fever.

I just can’t wait for all of this to be over…and to feel like my normal self again. I’m going back to see the doctor I saw at the hospital on wednesday for another us and beta. I really hope the sac will have passed by then![/quote]

I am speachless…I don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry that you have gone through all of this!! :grouphug:
You will be in my thoughts. :pray:

[QUOTE=Purplelove9876]I am speachless…I don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry that you have gone through all of this!! :grouphug:
You will be in my thoughts. :pray:[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the support. It’s really appreciated.
I honestly never thought things would turn out like this.
I got a call from the doctor, my hcg went down only from 189 to 109 in 6 days.

I can’t wait for my appointment this wednesday to see what they will do with my situation. I want this to be over.:pray:

This is terrible, I can’t tell you how sorry I am to hear about this. I am also still trying to cope with my loss as well. Discovered I was pregnant around Dec. 18th my first beta was 8800. The doctor called and said the pregnancy looked good by the numbers, so we waitied until our appointment on the 23rd. I had taken a second beta only to find out that my numbers had dropped to 8400. We went for our appt. on the 23rd and found out it was an ectopic. I received my first metheltrexate shot. I didn’t feel too well, but I didn’t have any cramping at that time. I went in for a third beta and it was at 4400. Our 4th beta was 4600. Our dr. called and informed me that I needed a second shot.

After the second shot, I was sick. I was also very weak, my dh had to carry me to the bathroom and help me off the toilet. (sorry tmi) I had extreme cramping and I called my dh at work one night to tell him to take me to the hospital. I was constantly taking tylenol or alleve to keep the pain at bay. My hair started to fall out, and I lost around 10lbs. My dr. has informed me if my numbers don’t fall faster I will need a third injection. My last beta was 388. Hoping this week brings very low numbers. Needless to say I still don’t feel entirely well. It still hurts when I sit down too fast.

I hope you feel better, I know how hard this can be both mentally and physically. AFM I will begin stims once I reach 0. Hoping I have a positive outcome on this next one.

Tori, thank you for sharing your story…I’m so sorry you had to go through this as well. Not only is it so hard to hear that the pregnancy is not viable, but then to have to feel like this for weeks…

I totally understand how you feel. I also felt awful after the second methotrexate shot, as you can see from my previous posts. I had to go to the ER twice. This medication is really awful.

Today is the first day I actually feel better. I still have some like stomach cramps and a backache, however it’s nothing like it was last week and the week before.

I also can’t wait for my numbers to reach 0. It takes so long. I’m at 109 as of last friday. I think it will at least take 2 more weeks.

You are lucky you are starting to try again right away when your levels reach 0. That’s what they told me at first at the hospital , but then my re told me he wants me to wait 2 full cycles :frowning:

I’m really praying for you that your numbers go down quickly.

Thank you! You are too sweet. I have just started to feel well too; this process seems to take forever. It’s a constant reminder of of saddness so to speak. Wow, I really had a hard time with this one. I’m just starting to be able to talk about it with co workers. It seems like everyone already knows anyway…

How do you feel aside from the physical aspect. Physically I still have cramping and some brown and sometimes clumpy discharge. Sorry tmi. Are you still experiencing this as well?

[QUOTE=tori2344]Thank you! You are too sweet. I have just started to feel well too; this process seems to take forever. It’s a constant reminder of of saddness so to speak. Wow, I really had a hard time with this one. I’m just starting to be able to talk about it with co workers. It seems like everyone already knows anyway…

How do you feel aside from the physical aspect. Physically I still have cramping and some brown and sometimes clumpy discharge. Sorry tmi. Are you still experiencing this as well?[/QUOTE]

Hi Tori,

Physically, I had a period beginning january (1-6) Then the bleeding stopped. However, as you can see from my previous posts, they saw on the u/s last week that in the end it was not ectopic, and that I didnt miscarry yet. They gave me misoprostol last week but it didnt work. However, I starting having light bleeding yesterday. No cramps though.

Today I went back for an ultrasound and beta. The ultrasound showed that there was still some tissue left in the uterus, but almost nothing. The doctor prescribed me some more misoprostol ( hopefully it will take care of what’s left)

As for how I’m feeling emotionally, I am so tired. It really took all my energy. . Plus I feel like I am wasting time. I was diagnosed with very low ovarian reserve, so I really hope I can get pregnant again soon. I just cant wait till my hcg is back to 0…

If you are like me the cramps will probably stop soon. Mine lasted for about 2 weeks. It was pretty awful.

keep me posted on what happens with you.

Well I still have some pain when I sit down… Do you have this as well? Just had a beta and it looks like i’m still at 73, this is horrible. It’s like the never ending nightmare! I just found out from my RE that I don’t start stims until Feb 22nd, and that’s dependent on me getting my period by Jan. 22nd. That means my retrieval will be scheduled for March 9th. Looks like i;m waiting two cycles as well.

What did your Dr. say, did they apologize? Did they offer to help you get pregnant? Are they taking responsibility for any of this? I hope so, I was thinking about you the other day and I am sorry you had to go through this. I think I may have lost it!

Hi tori,

No I don’t have this specific pain when I sit down. However the pains I had lasted from jan 1st until the 15th. It was more like bad abdominal pains. It was also very painful to pee. I know it takes forever, but only time seems to make it better…I’m sure by next week you will feel better.

I really do hope u get your period before the 22nd. If not well at least you will have a full month to recuperate and not stress. We have to try to see the positive in all of this, even though it is so difficult.

As for the doctors from the hospital…yes they apologized …twice. But what’s done is done. They haven’t suggested anything more. I’m going to see my fertility doctor next wednesday…we ll see what he says.

I hope you feel better soon

Thanks again for all your help. Hoping that all this leads to a healthy and happy pregnancy in the near future for the both of us. :slight_smile: Looking forward to starting stims in Feb.

[QUOTE=tori2344]Thanks again for all your help. Hoping that all this leads to a healthy and happy pregnancy in the near future for the both of us. :slight_smile: Looking forward to starting stims in Feb.[/QUOTE]

I really hope so too!:cross: Hopefully it will happen soon for both of us.

Just a quick question, are you doing IVF or Clomid/IUI?
I was just wondering, since they told me I couldnt start right away, and they allowed you too. I would like to speak to my Re about it. Plus my husband is leaving for a month in march so I would have liked to do another cycle before he leaves.

I am doing IVF. My RE had anticipated my :af: to start by Jan 22nd. That hasn’t happened yet so I am wondering if I’ll be pushed back further. The waiting really stinks! How are you feeling these days? I still have a little bit of pain from time to time.

[QUOTE=tori2344]I am doing IVF. My RE had anticipated my :af: to start by Jan 22nd. That hasn’t happened yet so I am wondering if I’ll be pushed back further. The waiting really stinks! How are you feeling these days? I still have a little bit of pain from time to time.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tori,

I agree with you, the waiting is really not fun. I don’t have any pain right now…which I’m really happy about. Went for my weekly u/s and beta testing today, apparently there is still some tissue left ( but less than last week, so they will wait until it leaves naturally) My beta is still not at 0, which really frustrates me.!!! It’s at 41. I can’t believe it might take 2 more weeks…

All I can do is wait. I am going back next week for a follow up again. Hope it’s the last one. I am also seeing my fertility doctor tomorrow, I will talk to him and see when I can start again.

Did they give you something for your pain? If not you should ask…it’s too bad you are still feeling pain after all this.

They did, I received a prescription for vicotin -bleh! It makes my stomach hurt and I feel weird. Not a fan of the stuff. Gosh, I hope you get to zero soon… I’m in the same boat, counting the days so to speak. I was hoping to get :af: by now. Looks like it’ll be another week or two also. Can’t wait till this is over, ready to start fresh once again. Hopefully this works out for the both of us.