Military- Summer IVF at Walter Reed

Hi guys! I know that there are already some summer cycle people on the Spring IVF thread, so I thought I would start a summer cycle thread for us since our time is getting closer!

Today I got my baseline scheduled for June 26th. Laurie told me that I would need to be in the DC area from July 3rd until July 11th. My tentative retrieval date is between July 9-11th. I am super excited!

Some important info that I nabbed from the Spring IVF forum thread:

A base ma of Walter Reed: http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/Shared%20Documents/Base_Map.pdf

The IVF clinic is in Bldg 10, right above the command duty office desk with the flags.

The OBGYN clinic is in Bldg 9, 2nd floor, near the pharmacy.

Hiiiiii thanks for starting the thread vweln. I just finished e spring cycle so if anyone has any questions ill try to help out
:babydust: to everone

Well, it suddenly occurred to me that finding a hotel around DC during the 4th of July weekend might be hard to do… anyone know if the hotels jack up their rates during the week of the 4th?

[QUOTE=vwelyn]Well, it suddenly occurred to me that finding a hotel around DC during the 4th of July weekend might be hard to do… anyone know if the hotels jack up their rates during the week of the 4th?[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on getting your baseline :slight_smile: Thank you for starting a thread for us summer ladies :slight_smile: After pricing some hotels in the area on expedia, it does seem like there’s less $70-$80 rooms around that weekend :frowning:

unexplained: Thank you for offering the help :slight_smile: Since ya’ll are both further along in the process than me, I’m sure I’ll be bugging ya’ll with questions :frowning:

AFM, I start my journey to Walter Reed tomorrow from Florida. I’m excited to get orientation out of the way!

Vwlen I stayed at bolling afb and it was 68 a night but had full kitchen washer dryer and two bedrooms. I was actually going to post and ask if anyone wanted to cut costs by getting a place together. I know we don’t know each other but last time for the three weeks it was something like 1500 but if we split it, it would be so much better! Like I said there are two rooms so we would have privacy… Just putting it out there if anyone was to want to.

Lioness Gl with orientation!

Sharing a room sounds like a great way to save some $$$. Unfortunately, I don’t think my hubby will go for it. The last hotel room we shared with a military couple we ended up paying for, so he doesn’t trust going splits on anything with anyone anymore :grr: I think we’re going to look at getting into the Naval Lodge in Bethesda if we can, although I hear it’s almost always pretty full.

But I would like to try to get together with some of you guys if we do end up in the DC area at the same time! I think it would be nice to be able to go out to dinner or something… but then again, I don’t know. Maybe we’ll all be grumpy and bloated and wont want to leave our hotel rooms… but I hope not! I intend to do some exploring while I’m there!

Vweln as for site seeing, it’s kind of touch and go. Some days you feel like it some you don’t. In the begining is the best time. The closer to er the more uncomfy but after er don’t count on doing anything.

Yeah, DH was thinking of driving home the day of ER… but I’m not too sure that’s a good idea. I may want to just go back to the hotel, sleep, and go home the next day. A 3 hour drive may not be the best thing straight after surgery. I think I’m going to book us an extra couple of days, just in case our ER date is a bit late.

Er or et? Are you planning to go home after er and come back et? They don’t really like you to drive after either … But I can say for me after the er it was all i could take the 25 min back to the hotel I was in so much pain.

ER. DH wanted to drive straight home after the ER and then return for our ET since we’re only 3 hours away to save some money… but like you just said, I was worried that I would be in too much pain to travel for 3 hours after the surgery. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll book an extra few days for sure. At orientation they told us that the ER wasn’t that big of a deal, so my DH and I were under the impression that I wouldn’t be in a lot of pain. I also didn’t know that we should stay put after the ET! Phew, I’m glad I’m finding all of this out now!

I just got my schedule!

Since I am doing FET I don’t have t be there till the 5th, and tentative transfer will be on the 15th.

Hi maryevenly:welcome: :welcome:

I still don’t know if I’m going to opt for frozen or do another fresh… Gotta decide here soon. If I do frozen, I will be going up later in July.

[QUOTE=unexplainedemptynest]Vwlen I stayed at bolling afb and it was 68 a night but had full kitchen washer dryer and two bedrooms. I was actually going to post and ask if anyone wanted to cut costs by getting a place together. I know we don’t know each other but last time for the three weeks it was something like 1500 but if we split it, it would be so much better! Like I said there are two rooms so we would have privacy… Just putting it out there if anyone was to want to.

Lioness Gl with orientation![/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t mind splitting a room to save money :slight_smile:

vwelyn: I would definitely enjoy meeting up with you all :slight_smile:

Welcome maryevelyn, congratulations on getting your dates, I can’t wait to get to that point :slight_smile:

AFM, orientation was awesome. Dr. Csokmay was so nice and he didn’t think I’d have a problem getting medically cleared :slight_smile:

Leoness- Glad your orientation went well!
Mary- :welcome:!!

Unexplained- That’s got to be a hard decision to make. I know that’s a huge difference financially. Is there any medical reason they want to do a fresh cycle as opposed to a FET?

As for me, :af: arrived today so I start my BCPs tomorrow!! I booked my hotel room today… an FYI for you guys- the Navy Lodge at Walter Reed is full from July 9-12th, and so if the one at Bolling AFB. I was able to book a room from July2-8, but I’m going to have to find another hotel for the last few days. It looks like there’s a few cheaper options a few miles outside of Bethesda. All of the ones close to Walter Reed are around $150/night, which is a bit out of my price range.

Hi everyone!

We just got financially cleared and Darshanna emailed to let me know that either she or Laurie would be calling me today or tomorrow to schedule baseline. We need one in the first week as we PCS beg. of August overseas. Thank you for starting a summer cycle thread- this will be our first time doing IVF so any info I can get my hands on will be so beneficial.
FYI, for those of you traveling in, don’t rule out DC proper. It’s only about 25-30 min up Massachusetts to Wisconsin, which turns into Rockville Pike and can often be faster than traveling around the beltway. Check out Priceline express deals and Hotwire.

Nice to meet everyone!

Thanks for the info on the navy lodge. I have to be there for appts on the 5, 10, and then 15th. I’ll try to make reservations for the 4th now.

I cycled back in January, so I am happy to help if I can answer any questions.

Hi everyone! I’ll be starting the summer cycle with you all! This is my first IVF so I’m getting a little stressed out already but excited about getting started. I’m still waiting for clearance, but I can’t wait to get my baseline appt. Good luck everyone!

[QUOTE=Navyflyerwife]Hi everyone!

We just got financially cleared and Darshanna emailed to let me know that either she or Laurie would be calling me today or tomorrow to schedule baseline. We need one in the first week as we PCS beg. of August overseas. Thank you for starting a summer cycle thread- this will be our first time doing IVF so any info I can get my hands on will be so beneficial.
FYI, for those of you traveling in, don’t rule out DC proper. It’s only about 25-30 min up Massachusetts to Wisconsin, which turns into Rockville Pike and can often be faster than traveling around the beltway. Check out Priceline express deals and Hotwire.

Nice to meet everyone![/QUOTE]

:welcome:, thank you for the hotel tip. When was your orientation?

chels710- :welcome:, sounds like we are at the same stage in the process :slight_smile:

Leoness8- it was April 16th. If anyone was at that one, I was the redhead with the tall husband. I probably looked pretty down bc we had just found out that the femara/trigger hadn’t worked that cycle.

For those of you that have been scheduled: how long did it take for them to call you after you were financially cleared. Know they will call soon, just wondering!

Welcome new ladies :welcome:
We are in page two already!!

Navy they called me the same day, but it might be busy there they shud be wrapping up spring cycle so might take her a day.

I talked to Leslie today and she said that if we take the later baseline we wouldn’t have to pay till first week of July. I think that is what we are going to do. Fresh cycle late July.

I don’t want to risk having our one frozen baby not thaw and pay for nothing… So fresh cycle again :woohoo: