Mini IVF-Successes/Tries/Stories/Advice Needed

Has anyone done Mini IVF and/or had an success from Mini IVF . I’m about to start the process in late July/ early August and feel somewhat alone because I see everyone taking alot of meds where as mine is minimal. Please share your stories and what you think you did to help/hurt your cycle.

Thanks in advance

[quote=LCH4281]Has anyone done Mini IVF and/or had an success from Mini IVF . I’m about to start the process in late July/ early August and feel somewhat alone because I see everyone taking alot of meds where as mine is minimal. Please share your stories and what you think you did to help/hurt your cycle.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

miniIVF success here :slight_smile:

One cycle, one transfer, identical twin girls :slight_smile:

You can see my specifics in my signature but I only stimmed for a few days and only took clomid and follistim each day. The whole point of mini is less drugs make for better quality eggs. Going into my retrieval I had 4 follicles, the smallest being 15 which isn’t even technically mature. So I thought we would get 3 eggs, well the doctor went for the 4th and it was also mature! At 5 days I had 4 frozen blasts :slight_smile: they all made it. With conventional they say 40% of the follicles make it to blast, I had 100%.
I did nothing extra outside of my protocol, no acupunture, no diet changes, no exercise, no changes at all.

good luck with your cycle, its going to be great!

:slight_smile:

[quote=stm2009]miniIVF success here :slight_smile:

One cycle, one transfer, identical twin girls :slight_smile:

You can see my specifics in my signature but I only stimmed for a few days and only took clomid and follistim each day. The whole point of mini is less drugs make for better quality eggs. Going into my retrieval I had 4 follicles, the smallest being 15 which isn’t even technically mature. So I thought we would get 3 eggs, well the doctor went for the 4th and it was also mature! At 5 days I had 4 frozen blasts :slight_smile: they all made it. With conventional they say 40% of the follicles make it to blast, I had 100%.
I did nothing extra outside of my protocol, no acupunture, no diet changes, no exercise, no changes at all.

good luck with your cycle, its going to be great![/quote]
Thanks so much. Congrats on the twins. I’m praying for twins a boy and girl but I’m really happy with whatever and how many God chooses to bless us with.
That is awesome. I’m so worried about not having enough meds etc. cause I see everyone else talking about taking a massive amount of medicine. What day was your transfer on?

Did you do clomid for 5 days? This is my cycle schedule:
07/22- AF
07/24-baseline
07/25-29-clomid
07/30-08/2-Gonal-F
08/01-08/02-Ganirelix
08/03-Trigger
08/05-ER
08/08 (09 or 10) -ET

Does this sound simliar to your protocol.

I’ve read online where Clomid thins the lining of the uterus and makes it hard for implantation. We plan on doing ICSI and Assisted Hatching not because it’s needed but because it could increase our chances of implantation.

[quote=LCH4281]… What day was your transfer on?

Did you do clomid for 5 days? …

I’ve read online where Clomid thins the lining of the uterus and makes it hard for implantation. We plan on doing ICSI and Assisted Hatching not because it’s needed but because it could increase our chances of implantation.[/quote]

We also only transferred one embryo and it split giving us our identical twin girls.

I did one 50mg of Clomid from cd 3 until cd 11 and I did 75IU Follistim from cd4 to cd 11. So 8 days of clomid and 7 days of Follistim.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd3 Start Clomid 50mg/dy
cd4 Start Follistim 75IU/dy[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd8 P=0.7 E=350 lining=9 follies=R:14,13,10 L:13
Con’t C&F
[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd11 P=0.7 E=852 FSH=11 LH=5 follies=R:18 17.5 11.5 7.5 L:17.5[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd12 P=0.7 E=886 FSH=12 LH=5 follies=R:20 19.5 11.5 10 L:19 TRIGGER[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd13 bw [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd14 R:22.5 21 15.5 L:23 [B]ER 4eggs[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial]All of my embryos were frozen and we did a frozen transfter the following month. This is for the exact reason you found in your research…Clomid is known to thin the lining. Also our RE does ICSI and AH on all embryos, so I also had those regardless of FET or fresh transfer[/FONT]. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Icsi does nothing for implantation, but AH could help. BUT if your lining isn’t there neither will help. I’d ask your RE about that and maybe even ask for a frozen transfer. To me it is completely worth the wait vs the chance of wasting embryos.[/FONT]

[quote=stm2009]We also only transferred one embryo and it split giving us our identical twin girls.

I did one 50mg of Clomid from cd 3 until cd 11 and I did 75IU Follistim from cd4 to cd 11. So 8 days of clomid and 7 days of Follistim.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd3 Start Clomid 50mg/dy
cd4 Start Follistim 75IU/dy[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd8 P=0.7 E=350 lining=9 follies=R:14,13,10 L:13
Con’t C&F
[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd11 P=0.7 E=852 FSH=11 LH=5 follies=R:18 17.5 11.5 7.5 L:17.5[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd12 P=0.7 E=886 FSH=12 LH=5 follies=R:20 19.5 11.5 10 L:19 TRIGGER[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd13 bw [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]cd14 R:22.5 21 15.5 L:23 [B]ER 4eggs[/B][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial]All of my embryos were frozen and we did a frozen transfter the following month. This is for the exact reason you found in your research…Clomid is known to thin the lining. Also our RE does ICSI and AH on all embryos, so I also had those regardless of FET or fresh transfer[/FONT]. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Icsi does nothing for implantation, but AH could help. BUT if your lining isn’t there neither will help. I’d ask your RE about that and maybe even ask for a frozen transfer. To me it is completely worth the wait vs the chance of wasting embryos.[/FONT][/quote]

That’s my main concern. The RE said because I’m an out of town patient they prefer to do Fresh Transfers. I wonder if that is the reason I’m only on 5 days of clomid and 3 days of gonal-f the 2 days of Ganrilex to help the lining not thin as much. I’m super nervous about everything at this point but hearing a success story calms my nerves a lot.

does this lessen my chances?

I just got my first apt to consult with my RE about mini stim. But I talked to a lady in their lab and she said they have only had one pt opt for mini stim, they are in her two week wait now. But she also said they do 3 day transfers only with mini stim, never 5day, does this lessen my chances? Or is it just how mini stim is done?

I don’t think it lessen you chances. I see where a lot of clinics only do 3 day transfers (even with Trad. IVF) because it gives the egg a better chance in the environment they were supposed to be created in. My clinic does 3/4/5 day transfers even with Mini IVF it just depends on the embryos themselves. I guess each clinic is different. I would asked them as to why they choose to only do 3 day transfers

LCH4281 - the clinic should be doing whatever gives you the best chance at a positive result, not what’s most convenient. If they typically do frozen transfers for mini then that’s what they should do for you as well. Why take a chance on a poor lining just because you would have to travel back the next month? As pp stated, comic is known to thin the lining. Why not do the best protocol for your retrieval and then do the best prep for your lining? Sorry, I had to give mhop.

CKM5456 - I would be concerned about a clinic that only does 3 day transfers for mini. That tells me they are more interested in their financials and their image with the patient. If you only have two embryos on day 3 and you are fine with twins then go ahead and transfer but if you have more than two then there is no reason not to wait but for the fear that there won’t be any on day 5. The clinic loses money if they don’t make it to transfer and the patient is upset about a busted cycle but the truth is that if they didn’t make it to d5 then it wasn’t going to make a baby. Now the caveat for that is that you have to have avoid lab. But if it’s not a good lab, you may want to look elsewhere. Mini can definitely work but it may take more than one cycle so be prepared for that, and make sure your clinic is very experienced in it. Many clinics are adding it to their repertoire because that’s what many are asking for now.

Okay, had to give my two cents. I did many banking mini cycles, not all months were good but I do have a precious LO now so all worth it.

GL to you both!

[quote=cjtx]LCH4281 - the clinic should be doing whatever gives you the best chance at a positive result, not what’s most convenient. If they typically do frozen transfers for mini then that’s what they should do for you as well. Why take a chance on a poor lining just because you would have to travel back the next month? As pp stated, comic is known to thin the lining. Why not do the best protocol for your retrieval and then do the best prep for your lining? Sorry, I had to give mhop.

CKM5456 - I would be concerned about a clinic that only does 3 day transfers for mini. That tells me they are more interested in their financials and their image with the patient. If you only have two embryos on day 3 and you are fine with twins then go ahead and transfer but if you have more than two then there is no reason not to wait but for the fear that there won’t be any on day 5. The clinic loses money if they don’t make it to transfer and the patient is upset about a busted cycle but the truth is that if they didn’t make it to d5 then it wasn’t going to make a baby. Now the caveat for that is that you have to have avoid lab. But if it’s not a good lab, you may want to look elsewhere. Mini can definitely work but it may take more than one cycle so be prepared for that, and make sure your clinic is very experienced in it. Many clinics are adding it to their repertoire because that’s what many are asking for now.

Okay, had to give my two cents. I did many banking mini cycles, not all months were good but I do have a precious LO now so all worth it.

GL to you both![/quote]

They are giving me the best possible chance in my current situation. They don’t typically do FET for Mini’s only FT because they feel the embryos thrives better in their own environment. Being an out of town patient increases the want for them to do a FT because the cost of traveling 7 hours from my home to the clinic twice can be more stressful and financially harder than doing the FT itself. I spoke with them about the lining concern and they said this is why they have me on a shorter period of clomid and I am to start taking Baby Aspirin the day of the ER to build the lining up. They have a high FT/birth rate with both traditional and mini ivf

I’m glad they cleared that up for you. Because the clomid/think lining is the exact reason my RE does FET. I was also an out of towner, 4hrs one way to my RE and they only do FET with mini.
but like cjtx mentioned. The RE I went to had a top notch lab. They use vitrification for freezing embies which is the best way to do it, which also increases their success rates for FET.

But all in all, you have ot be comfortable with your protocol. I’m glad they addressed your concerns with something tha tmakes sense to you. :slight_smile:

Good luck!