Multiple follicle questions?

I posted in another thread about my overstimulation for this cycle but I have some questions for those of you who have had more then one follicle iui’s. Today I went in for ultrasound and bloodwork and my re said it didn’t look as bad as he expected. He said I had an 18, 17 and two 14’s that he rounded up to 15’s. He said that its possible that those two 15’s could release an egg or they might not. They want me to trigger tonight so I don’t give those two 15’s a chance to mature any larger. My question is how likely are those two 15’s to release an egg? When we went into this cycle we wanted to try for two follicles at the most but I’m an “overachiever” and the combo of clomid and bravelle sent my ovaries into overdrive.

I can’t give you a stat about how likely those 2 are to release, I think it really depends on the person. Are you trying to decide if you should trigger at all? I had this problem before and have pondered it a lot. First off, my doctor told me that each follicle has about a 20% chance of becoming a pregnancy but at the same time, even with multiple follicles, there’s only a 20% chance of pregnancy at all because of other factors (for anyone) that may be unknown. These include male factor, the possibility that a follicle doesn’t contain an egg, lack of implantation, quality of the egg, quality of the uterine lining, progesterone levels after ovulation, blockages in the reproductive tract etc.
It looks like you’ve done several IUI cycles with Clomid before and they were all BFN so I think the likelihood of multiples is pretty low (and with anyone who struggles with IF for that matter). Is there just MFI or do you have an IF condition? If so, that makes it even less likely for all of them to implant.
One option you might consider is to just use TI or to do just one IUI.
I would go for it and do the trigger! My doctor told me there’s less than a 1% chance of triplets with 3 follicles so with 4 (and 2 of them iffy) it would probably be about that as well. I recently saw a woman I think in the 2 ww board who had 6 mature follicles triggered (and they were confirmed to have all been released), they used TI, and she was BFN that cycle.
I know selective reduction seems like a scary option so I hear you when you get nervous about that but it’s unlikely that it would come to that, considering the odds with the two small follicles, the low odds of getting pregnant in the first place, and the 20% rate of “disappearing twins” that happens in the first 12 weeks with multiples. I’ve been thinking a lot about selective reduction too because I had 3 mature follies (and they thought earlier in the cycle that I would have even more). I decided that I wanted to go for it and now my main worry is just that I won’t get pregnant at all, I haven’t thought much about multiples because the odds told to me were so small. Anyway, let us know what you decide and the outcome. Best of luck and I hope you get your one beautiful little bean in the end!

[QUOTE=bronzedragon]I posted in another thread about my overstimulation for this cycle but I have some questions for those of you who have had more then one follicle iui’s. Today I went in for ultrasound and bloodwork and my re said it didn’t look as bad as he expected. He said I had an 18, 17 and two 14’s that he rounded up to 15’s. He said that its possible that those two 15’s could release an egg or they might not. They want me to trigger tonight so I don’t give those two 15’s a chance to mature any larger. My question is how likely are those two 15’s to release an egg? When we went into this cycle we wanted to try for two follicles at the most but I’m an “overachiever” and the combo of clomid and bravelle sent my ovaries into overdrive.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply, I guess its silly of me to put the cart before the horse since who knows if this cycle will even work with all those follicles lol. I guess I’m more worried that we will end up with multiples then if we even get pregnant at all. I always worry about everything to begin with so I’m just gonna stress myself into an ulcer either way.

I did IUI with 9 mature follicles (that was 9 over 17mm at trigger and a bunch of littler ones). I really struggled with whether to go forward or not and had to do some serious thinking of whether I would do selective reduction or not. Of course, it was BFN so all my angst was for nothing (but I’m a lot older than you).

From what I have read, follicles tend to grow about 1-2 mm a day and the trigger shot gives them an extra boost, too. So it’s possible that those 14-15s could be 20-21s by IUI.

Whatever you decide, I hope you get your BFP sooner than later! :slight_smile:

Well 15’s can mature and my RE’s consider them mature. I got triplets from a 18, 17 and a 15 on our 1st IUI. One thing to know is a trigger will make the follies grow still. It gives the follie a last chance in maturing before ovulation. But i’ve also had a cycle with 3 @ 18mm and end in BFN. I would say with 4 mature you stand a GREAT chance this cycle.

:cross:

[SIZE=3]They say the ideal number of follies for IUI is 3. Well, my cycle with 3’s was BFN. My last cycle I had 5 and hence my twins! :slight_smile:
[/SIZE]
:babydust: