My RE won't do a natural cycle

Hi everyone! I am looking around at getting a new RE to preform our FET. One of the clinics wrote me back and said their doctor does not do natural cycles. He will at least do progesterone (which I figured) but also estrogen to help thicken the lining. I really don’t think I need help thickening the lining as the whole reason we did IVF was due to MFI. She said she could ask the doctor but that he hasn’t done a natural cycle in years. I guess they know what they are doing but it surprised me. I suppose estrogen isn’t going to hurt me so why not, I was just surprised. Anyone else been told this? Thanks!

I just had a successful natural cycle. I ovulated, forced with Ovidril hcg trigger to time transfer appropriately, but that is all. Honestly, my RE strongly recommended the progesterone and estrogen, but I just declined. I did get the progesterone suppositories since they were free, but I did not use them.

My progesterone and estrogen levels were never high, but my lining thickened wonderfully, and I got pregnant. Just to give you some perspective, my progesterone level was about 8 before transfer and averaged 13 until I was released to my OB. Estrogen was about 100 before transfer and 400 when released to my OB. It was what my body needed, I did not need the outrageously high progesterone and estrogen levels.

Since you have MFI like I did, I don’t see why your RE would not be open to natural. You could always force ovulation if he is concerned with the timeline. I figure the rest is up to you, once the embryo is transferred he can’t make you take estrogen or progesterone. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply and congrats on your BFP!!! So when is the estrogen given? I assumed it was before the transfer but judging by your reply, I guess it is after? I really don’t think I need it. I don’t think I even needed the progesterone after my IVF cycle! I think getting stabbed in the heiny every day for 12 weeks was unnecessary but at that point, I would have done anything! We have had one successful surprise pregnancy after the twins were born and that was “unmedicated” and my levels were great! No more surprises though, because I had my tubes tied. I just want to try my embryos and see what happens. Hoping for another baby but if not, I will have to be happy with the 3 I have. Its practically all I can afford anyway lol! Kids are expensive! But oh how I love babies :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=KatieNK]Thanks so much for your reply and congrats on your BFP!!! So when is the estrogen given? I assumed it was before the transfer but judging by your reply, I guess it is after? I really don’t think I need it. I don’t think I even needed the progesterone after my IVF cycle! I think getting stabbed in the heiny every day for 12 weeks was unnecessary but at that point, I would have done anything! We have had one successful surprise pregnancy after the twins were born and that was “unmedicated” and my levels were great! No more surprises though, because I had my tubes tied. I just want to try my embryos and see what happens. Hoping for another baby but if not, I will have to be happy with the 3 I have. Its practically all I can afford anyway lol! Kids are expensive! But oh how I love babies :)[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your trio!

Wow, your story is similar to mine. My DS was from my IVF cycle, then I got pregnant the old fashioned way with my DD. since my pregnancy with my DD was smooth I was confident my body knew what to do to get and maintain a pregnancy. After DD was born my DH had a vasectomy and I had to give my remaining embies a shot at life, but I wanted it to be as natural as possible, leave it up to God, so to speak.

Yes, estrogen is normally given prior to transfer, as well as after, but if your body is doing as it should, building a nice lining, I don’t think your RE will know if you are taking it or not. When I would get my blood drawn, I was nervous about my RE realizing I was not taking the meds, but they never realized it. I eventually told them after the transfer that I was not taking the progesterone or estrogen, but all he told me was, “I strongly recommend you take them, but I can’t make you.”

Another reason I did not want the progesterone and estrogen was after my DD was born I found some lumps in my breasts. They turned out to be nothing, just cysts, but that was scary and eye opening. The progesterone and estrogen supplements carry huge risks of breast cancer.

Good luck, hope your current RE will change their mind. :cross:

Wow, I had no idea that estrogen and progesterone carried risk for breast cancer. I guess I was just so desperate for a baby (or two!) that I didn’t even research it. Ugh! Well I will just skip it if I do the FET and watch my levels. I really don’t think I need it. Thank you so much for your reply, yes our stories are similar! :slight_smile: