My recent cycle

As some of you know, we recently travelled to the US for IVF/PGD with donor eggs. Well, things didn’t go quite as planned, but we did get to transfer, so all we can do now is hope.

We had a few hiccups. The donor (in spite of having a ‘perfect’ cycle last time) did not respond well to the medication. By the time we arrived in the US, she had gone from having 16 eggs to 12. A couple of days later there were only 10. Of these, 8 fertilised. However… 7 of the 8 were abnormal!!!

We just couldn’t believe it. Even our RE was shaking his head. WTF went wrong???

The normal embryo was Grade 3, so not great quality. We transferred last Wednesday. I am not hopeful.

One thing I have learned from this, is that I should trust my own judgement. I wanted to pick a new donor when I heard how low her AFC was, but people kept telling me it was not low, it was fine. Well, it wasn’t. And I’m kicking myself.

Hi Fulla Doll-

Your situation sounds almost identical to the transfer I did a couple of weeks ago. We watched as the number
of eggs kept dropping, and then also had 8 (of an original 17 fertilize) 2 were normal, but below average, and they put in 2 others that already had bad fragmentation. The good news is that I’m pregnant with high Beta numbers. So, don’t give up hope. I have a daughter that was also concieved with below average (old) eggs. It can work. Also, keep remembering that the DE are from a young woman, and that adds a lot of quality, even if they don’t look so great!

I know it feels impossible, but keep trying to visualize this working.

Take care,
Jen

Jen, thanks so much for responding, you’ve given me hope! I am now 6DP5DT. Do you think it’s too early to test?

The quality issue isn’t how they looked, we did PGD so we know the following:

1 x normal
2 x Turners Syndrome
2 x Down’s Syndrome
1 x Patay Syndrome
1 x no signal

Congrats on your beta numbers by the way - you must be so excited!

[quote=FullaDoll]Jen, thanks so much for responding, you’ve given me hope! I am now 6DP5DT. Do you think it’s too early to test?

The quality issue isn’t how they looked, we did PGD so we know the following:

1 x normal
2 x Turners Syndrome
2 x Down’s Syndrome
1 x Patay Syndrome
1 x no signal

Congrats on your beta numbers by the way - you must be so excited![/quote]

Fulladoll, I haven’t checked in here recently since I had my chemical. I just wanted to say hang in there. Our first donor didn’t have a great cycle but I did get pregnant, even after what I think was a botched transfer. There is still hope for you and you can certainly test now and get a BFP! Bets of luck to you–I hope all your dreams come true.

Thanks goldenmom. See, that’s my worry. If 7 out of the 8 were abnormal, what are the chances of something being wrong with this one?

Hi Fulladoll-
Yes, you can definitely test now! I hope you get beautiful results.

You know PGD can be a blessing and a curse. Most of us have a very limited idea as to what we’re transfering, it’s all based on how the cells are dividing and how they “look”, but do know that if the embryos aren’t making it in the lab, there is something wrong, you just have a more definitive answer as to exactly what was wrong.

One normal one, that’s all it takes!! If the tests say it’s normal, then you should be ok.

Do you think you’ll do a HPT, or go in for a blood test?

All the best to you,
Jen

Thanks Jen. Actually, I just tested and it’s negative.

I am gutted beyond words :-(.

Fulla- Keep the faith, until you hear otherwise. It does only take 1!!!

I would test at day 7 or 8 for most accurate results! See the chart below! KUP

Otherwise known as when can I use a HPT??? See below!

What happens to embryos after transfer? Read here for info!

Fulla- Keep the faith, until you hear otherwise. It does only take 1!!!

I would test at day 7 or 8 for most accurate results! See the chart below! KUP

Otherwise known as when can I use a HPT??? See below!

What happens to embryos after transfer? Read here for info!

Fulla-

I’m sorry you had a negative test, but it’s still early, sweetie. Try to test again over the next few days.

I hope you’re able to get some rest.

All the best,
Jen

Fulla, how are you doing? I know you’re heartbroken, but it still might be too early. In any event, I wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.

[QUOTE=Alex2000]Fulla, how are you doing? I know you’re heartbroken, but it still might be too early. In any event, I wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alex :slight_smile:

Hi FullaDoll-

Been thinking about you alot today as well…and hoping that you still have faith that this may work out.

Blessings to you,
Jen