Need advice ASAP

Ladies,

I really need your advice. What tests should be done PRIOR to the 1st IUI to make sure there are no issues that could prevent pregnancy? Not all doctors are thorough as we all know… so it is important to do HW beforehand. If you could give me specific test names I would really appreciate it!

Also, have all of you done the trigger shot in a natural cycle?

Any insights you can share with an inexperienced person would be very helpful!

Thank you,
Lina

HSG- check for tubes being open, any uterus problems, etc
hysterosonogram- check for fibroids, polyps, etc
Full blood workup

Thank you for your prompt response, Prinny! Would vaginal ultrasound be OK instead of hysterosonogram?

What does the full blood workup include?

Someone told me immune issues must be checked as well as potential clotting problems? I do not know what these tests are though.

Lina

Lina12—I sent you a message! Hope it helps

[QUOTE=Lina12]Thank you for your prompt response, Prinny! Would vaginal ultrasound be OK instead of hysterosonogram?

What does the full blood workup include?

Someone told me immune issues must be checked as well as potential clotting problems? I do not know what these tests are though.

Lina[/QUOTE]

I don’t think the vaginal ultrasound can check everything that the hysterosongram can, but I could be wrong. I had several vaginal ultrasounds, and the polyps were not really seen until the hysterosongram.

The full blood workup checks for everything that could affect fertility. I had initial bloodwork when I first went to my RE, but it wasn’t complete.

My full bloodwork up included just about everything including hemoglobin, genetic testing, HIV, etc.

And then the baseline ultrasound and bloodwork is important also where they check your estradiol, fsh, tsh etc level.

Thank you, ladies, for your responses! I appreciate your help.
Lina

I’ve only had a vaginal ultrasound and basic blood work. Is it standard practice to always do a hysterosonogram and HSG prior to IUI? Thanks!

[QUOTE=LoveChocolate]I’ve only had a vaginal ultrasound and basic blood work. Is it standard practice to always do a hysterosonogram and HSG prior to IUI? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think it’s based on your doctor. Mine is numbers driven and will only do treatment when he knows everything that could be causing infertility has been looked at. I only did my first IUI without checking tsh, fsh and estradiol because it was a natural cycle and I couldn’t get in for the bloodwork.

I think they are both important though. My basic test showed no problems, but hysterosongram showed many polyps up to 17 mm, complete blood work showed low iron and baseline bloodwork showed hypothyroidism and elevated estradiol… Only which have probably contributed to my infertility.

HSG to make sure tubes are open. No need is doing an IUI or medicine if the sperm can’t meet the egg due to a blockage.
SIS (saline infusion sono) Saline Infusion Sonogram (SIS) - Tampa, Florida Infertility and IVF Clinic
full panel bloodwork Hormone Levels & Fertility Bloodwork - Fertility Plus

I’ve never done a natural IUI cycle. But since IUI’s are all about timing since washed sperm only lives 24 hours at the most, a trigger i feel is important. An IUI is best done 6 hours before or 6 hours after ovulation.

Thanks for the advice! I’ll ask my Dr. about HSG and SIS.

I had all the bloodwork that checks hormones (those directly related to fertility and others that may be connected like the thyroid ones), iron, hiv, etc. I also had an HSG and vaginal u/s. Never a hysterosonogram. I think the HSG must cover similar things?

Becca- I saw my RE today. She did a blood test and she did a “saline sonogram” that checks for both patency of the tubes and also checked my uterus for fibroids/polyps.

Hsg

I did not know HSG (saline sonohysterogram) involved fluoroscopy/radiation. I thought it was a saline infusion sonography, which is ultrasound of the uterus. Could someone clarify this for me please? Also, is this procedure painful?

Yes I have had 2 HSG’s now, and both of them were excruciating! Some people online say they don’t hurt at all, but yea I was one of the people that it burned so bad I was balling on the table.:grr:

[QUOTE=Lina12]I did not know HSG (saline sonohysterogram) involved fluoroscopy/radiation. I thought it was a saline infusion sonography, which is ultrasound of the uterus. Could someone clarify this for me please? Also, is this procedure painful?[/QUOTE]

An HSG is a hysterosalpingogram. Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) Test: Results, Reasons for Testing, and More It is done under X-ray.

A SIS Saline infusion sono is where they inject your uterus with saline and do a ultrasound.

My HSG was horrible pain. My SIS was a cake walk. No pain.

[QUOTE=LoveChocolate]Becca- I saw my RE today. She did a blood test and she did a “saline sonogram” that checks for both patency of the tubes and also checked my uterus for fibroids/polyps.[/QUOTE]

The saline sono does not check the tubes. It only checked the uterus. The HSG is the test that checks the tubes.

A saline infusion sonogram (saline sonography) is routinely performed to make sure that the endometrial cavity (inside of the uterus) appears normal. Benign uterine growths, such as endometrial polyps or uterine fibroids, may develop in the cavity and create an environment that is hostile for implantation. Scar tissue may also be identified with the saline infusion sonogram. This procedure may be done as part of an evaluation for recurrent pregnancy loss or done prior to an IVF cycle. It may also be done to evaluate causes of irregular or very heavy menstrual cycles and some types of chronic pelvic pain. The saline infusion sonogram is scheduled early in a menstrual cycle, just after your period stops but before ovulation – usually between days 5-12 of the cycle.

Thank you, Tiffany! Your responses were very helpful. Looks like HSG is absolutely essential before starting IUIs. I have read that some women take painkillers before HSG and this helps a lot.
Lina

[QUOTE=Lina12]Thank you, Tiffany! Your responses were very helpful. Looks like HSG is absolutely essential before starting IUIs. I have read that some women take painkillers before HSG and this helps a lot.
Lina[/QUOTE]

Yes it is a very important test before IUI. Some do, some only take OTC pain meds. I wasn’t given anything and sure with i was lol.