Need advise please!

Hope some of you ladies can shed some light on my situation…

I’ve done 3 cycles of clomid 50mg. First 2 cycles (clomid w/ timed intercourse) ovulated but :bfn: . 3rd cycle of clomid 50mg didn’t work because I didn’t ovulate. At the time my RE recommended me to go for IUI with 100mg of clomid. Did that last month and got progestrone level back early this month stating I didn’t ovulate as well. I did got a positive OPK though that’s why I went in for IUI and the nurse said I had EWCM too.

Now my RE recommended 150mg of clomid + IUI for this cycle. He also put me on prometrium to kick start my AF. I really don’t understand why that 50mg of clomid worked for 2 months and never worked again.

Same goes with many of you, I really want to get pregnant asap. Do you think I should jump to injectables next cycle with IUI? Does injectables has a much higher chance compare to clomid? How many cycles to try before IVF?

Thanks a bunch!

I wouldn’t switch to injections just yet. Are you being monitored besides just bloodwork? Are they scanning you to check your follies? Are they giving you a trigger to force ovulation when your follies are mature? I’d ask for that before moving on to injections. I also wouldn’t jump to 150mg of clomid before trying 100mg with a trigger. IUI won’t help if you aren’t ovulation the follies you have. So i’d do TI with a trigger first for a few cycles. One thing to know is your body can gear up to ovulate but not. That is more than likely what happen with your +opk. I know there is NO WAY i’d do an IUI without a trigger. Goodluck

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thanks for yourreply.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I asked my RE before my first IUI and he said I don’t needto be monitored by ultrasound since using OPK is the same thing. I don’t know if he’s trying to save my moneybecause insurance doesn’t cover anything. I did the 100mg clomid with IUI already and I didn’t ovulate with the100mg as per the progesterone level on day 21. However , I did got a positive OPK on day 12 that’s why I went in for myfirst IUI. I’m a little bit confusednow.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I also asked him if I should do clomid + trigger + IUI. He said if clomid works then you don’t need atrigger shot. If clomid doesn’t workthen there’s nothing to trigger. :confused: :confused: :confused: I thought through ultrasound at least you can see if the follicles are developing with clomid and trigger the ovulation if needed. Or simply if the clomid isn’t working, then there’s no developing follicles?[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Because I’m travelling during X’mas, so he now put me onprometrium to kick start AF then 150mg clomid from day 3 to 7 and then IUI whenOPK is positive. No monitoring at all. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I’ll be seeing my RE again next month to discuss my optionsif this 150mg cycle doesn’t work. I’mjust getting a little frustrated because of all these clomid cycles worked atthe beginning and not working at all after the first two months. That’s why I’m thinking if injectables has ahigher chance…maybe I should try it? I’m not sure…[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]

Clomid may be thinning out your uterine lining but since you haven’t had monitoring, you can’t be sure. I had this problem with Femara, so I was switched after just 2 cycles to injectables. I responded much better to injectables with a better lining and better follicle development but the injectables (and the monitoring required for them) are very expensive. Usually is comes to about $5000 per cycle.
I think you should continue with clomid 150 a few more cycles simply because of the financial burden. Another option is Femara – the pills may cost a bit more but many who are resistant to clomid (don’t ovulate on clomid) respond better to femara. Another plus is that it’s less likely to thin your endometrium or thicken your cervial fluid and there are much fewer side effects. Do you take a basal temp daily? That’s a nice way to tell if you ovulated, but you don’t find out until several days after the fact.
GL and let us know what you ended up doing!

Thank you. I guess one thing i’m sure is the next cycle in Jan will need ultrasound monitoring!

The nurse told me the injectables are expensive and the range will depend on dosage. I really don’t want to go this route unless necessary because of cost.

I thought PCOS is not a big issue as per my RE when I first was referred to him. I did all tests (Hysterogram, bloodtest, ultrasound…etc) and the only major issue was PCOS. RE said usually with PCOS only is not that big of a problem and will respond well to fertility drugs. Seems like it’s more difficult to get pregnant that I thought…esp have been popping those pills for almost 5 months now. :grr: :grr:

I’d run to another RE fast. That RE isn’t very smart.

Exactly this!

Really thank you for your inputs!

I’ve called my clinic again earlier and requested ultrasound monitoring for this cycle as well. The nurse said with monitoring they’ll be able to see the follicles developing. When the follicles are around 18mm and OPK is positive, no trigger shot is needed. Otherwise they can do a trigger shot to make me ovulate and then do IUI. Hopefully the chances are much higher and also know what’s going on instead of getting tricked by the OPK again and go in for an IUI blindly and later find out I didn’t ovulate.

Yeah…I do feel like I’ve to been aggressive in asking all these questions to get what I wanted instead of him recommending all of these to me. Too bad this is the closest clinic from my house so distance wise it works out the best for me especially with all those monitoring.

[QUOTE=vkmy]Really thank you for your inputs!

I’ve called my clinic again earlier and requested ultrasound monitoring for this cycle as well. The nurse said with monitoring they’ll be able to see the follicles developing. When the follicles are around 18mm and OPK is positive, no trigger shot is needed. Otherwise they can do a trigger shot to make me ovulate and then do IUI. Hopefully the chances are much higher and also know what’s going on instead of getting tricked by the OPK again and go in for an IUI blindly and later find out I didn’t ovulate.

Yeah…I do feel like I’ve to been aggressive in asking all these questions to get what I wanted instead of him recommending all of these to me. Too bad this is the closest clinic from my house so distance wise it works out the best for me especially with all those monitoring.[/QUOTE]

Thats good you called and they are going to be monitoring you. One thing to know is if you have more than one follie a trigger ensures ALL mature follies will ovulate. IF you just go off natural surge, the most mature will only ovulate. So its like why take the meds anyways. I’d push for a trigger if you see a follie 18mm+. Don’t wait for a +opk.

Don’t feel bad for asking what you want. You are paying this RE for a service. He is working for you plain and simple. Take charge in what you want. No one ever gets anywhere just sitting back and waiting for someone else pick what they want.

Goodluck :cross:

Thank you missingmy#2.

I now know what I should ask for so hopefully this time will work. :cross: :cross: :cross: Then that’ll be a great way to start the year 2012!!