Need help: Freeze DH sperm or skip a month?


#1

Hi Ladies, I’m 8 dpiui and feeling all the pre-menstrual symptoms I had last month (IUI resulted in BFN). So, although I’m still optimistic, I’m also thinking ahead.

Here is my dillema: My DH will be out of town the week of when we would have our next IUI (:pray: we don’t need it!!). So, our option for the next cycle is to:

[B]A) Freeze DH sperm[/B]
Pro : hopefully be :preg: sooner
Con : expensive (~$500)

[B]B) skip a month[/B]
Pro : Dec is busy enough as it is, give body a break
Con : missing out on a perfectly good little egg

So please, look at my signature and the options above: I am asking you, What Would You Do?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!


#2

I think either way is great, but if it was me I would take a month off and try again after the holidays! I’ve had two IUIs this year, and am waiting until Jan/Feb to try again.


#3

We had to make the same decision, only it was skip 4 months or freeze. We decided not to for two reasons. One, I wasn’t sure I could deal with the emotional cycle of it with him gone. Two,the cost. Oh, and three, when you freeze and thaw you lose some of the sperm so if there’s and question on motility or morphology it doesn’t help anything.


#4

Reply to Mina

Mina-
From my personal experience, I would NOT freeze. My husband currently works 5 hours away Mon-Fri and is only home on the weekends. (he will be doing this until March 2011) We went ahead and spent the $450 freezing the swimmers so all would be ready for my next IUI.
Turns out, the week we thought would be “the week” for this last cycle…ended up not being the week. We were pushed back 5 more days because my follies were not moving along nearly as fast as last IUI. In the end, we were able to have him here for the IUI and deliver a fresh sample.

Point is, unless the DH is going to be deployed or away for a LONG LONG time, I would personally save the money and just hope he is there. Heaven knows we’re already spending enough $$ on the treatments!!


#5

Thank you all for your input.

K&EMommy - would you then do all the treatments (femara, follistim, hCG) not knowing for sure if you HD is going to be there to ‘deliver’ for the IUI? My plan was not to.

hunt2005 - I agree with you that the emotional rollercoaster on my own is a scary thought, eventhough it’s only for one week.

EastCoastMama - I’m hesitant to skip a month because of my age as well. I’d like to have more than one child, if at all possible… skipping one month may not be a big deal at a younger age, but at 38 I just feel so much pressure!

My head says: relax and wait a month. But the rest of my body says: don’t skip a month, it could be THE right time. :confused: :confused:


#6

[quote=Mina]
EastCoastMama - I’m hesitant to skip a month because of my age as well. I’d like to have more than one child, if at all possible… skipping one month may not be a big deal at a younger age, but at 38 I just feel so much pressure!

My head says: relax and wait a month. But the rest of my body says: don’t skip a month, it could be THE right time. :confused: :confused:[/quote]

Mina - I TOTALLY understand what you mean about skipping a month. I’m 36 and feel the same way - don’t want to miss even one egg. After 2.5 years of trying though, I’ve become a bit more laid back (or exhausted?).