New here. First [email protected]:

I’m terrified. I had 2 children over 20 years ago in another lifetime. My current husband and I had a loss at 8 weeks last September after ttc for 8 months. We started Clomid in March and had a chemical pregnancy with IUI, one unsuccessful monitored IUI, and one with injectables. I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, a pain syndrome. We battled the insurance company and the doctors’ to get the IVF before we waste anymore precious time. The insurance approved IVF with assisted hatching but not ICSI. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I would pay for ICSI yourself, at my clinic it is $1300. Also are you thinking of doing any testing on the embryos prior to transfer like PGD or PGS. With your age it would be a good idea to only transfer embryos that are genetically normal. Less chance for miscarriage and implantation issues. It is more out of pocket money but if you get IVF paid for a good trade off.

I just saw a 2nd opinion RE and he said that with ICSI on 100% of embryos, that at ages 35-37 50% are abnormal, at ages 38-40 60% are abnormal, and over 40+ over 70% are abnormal.

What is your FSH, AMH, and Estrogen levels?

That will give you an idea of how you will respond to meds, I am a poor responder and get few eggs.

Thnaks for your advice. Our clinic the ICSI is $2,500. We have been waffling back and forth, but I think we are leaning toward doing it. My FSH level is 5. My husband’s count was 49 mil with 85% motility at the last appointment.

I refused the AMH for several reasons. My insurance doesn’t cover it, and I’d rather not know. My estrogen is borderline high.

They have told me I am responding well. I had 2 follicles on the Clomid, 1 during the monitored cycles, and 4 with the injectables during the IUI cycle. As of today during the IVF, I have 9 follicles over 10 and 2 less than 10. Tomorrow, they are cutting my menopur and Gonalf in half. I go back Friday for another sono and bw.They have predicted possibly Tuesday for the ER.

FSH 5 is great! It sounds like you are responding great!! Cheers for that. If they are decreasing meds that is a good sign, they always have to increase mine :frowning:

Good luck at ER.

It’s expensive but I would do the ICSI as well. You didn’t say your husbands age but if it’s around yours they might not fight as well as they used to! You don’t want to go through an IVF cycle and then have a poor fert report and wish you had done it. Really the only negative to doing it is the money. GL!

Personally I would pay for ICSI as well. We do not have male factor yet we chose to do ICSI because we wanted the best chance for success. I felt doing ICSI would guaranty a high fertilization rate and it did with our first IVF, but not our last (egg quality problem on that cycle, I believe).

You could always ask your RE for his advice and go with what he says.

[QUOTE=sherylselena]I’m terrified. I had 2 children over 20 years ago in another lifetime. My current husband and I had a loss at 8 weeks last September after ttc for 8 months. We started Clomid in March and had a chemical pregnancy with IUI, one unsuccessful monitored IUI, and one with injectables. I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, a pain syndrome. We battled the insurance company and the doctors’ to get the IVF before we waste anymore precious time. The insurance approved IVF with assisted hatching but not ICSI. Does anyone have any experience with this?[/QUOTE]

I think you have made the right choice by going with IVF, and its somewhat of a small miracle that your insurance will actually cover it! You must have some cadillac insurance policy!

At 43, you don’t have too much time and if you go with Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis as was suggested above, you can cut down on the chances of getting a genetically abnormal embryo. Typically egg quality is considerably diminished at this point in the game.

I believe you didn’t mention whether your husband had a semen analysis? If his sperm somehow had perfect morphology, perfect motility, etc. then it probably wouldn’t be necessary. If he’s in his 40’s or older, however, then you probably want to do ICSI, but again, it depends on the semen analysis.

DH is 36. His analysis was normal/good.

I would pay the extra money for ICSI. Sometimes older eggs have harder shells and are difficult for the sperm to penetrate. It would avoid the disaster of having only a few fertilize (or none) which I’ve seen happen before on the forum.

[QUOTE=sherylselena]DH is 36. His analysis was normal/good.[/QUOTE]