New Hope Fertility Center Clinical Trial

[QUOTE=kcarey77]I read that in the article on the study in TIME Magazine and everyone who commented on it said half of the facts stated were incorrect. 10% was one of them. They said Obama is wanting to raise it from 7.5% to 10% but it not come to fruition yet. I hope those people are right. It’s not fair that us suffering from this disease of IF should have to spend more money just to write it off. That’s BS if it is true. :frowning:
And, after my next IVF I will have spend 20K on infertility treatments so I think after all my business deductions I should meet the 10%. Thank God![/QUOTE]
A friend of mine was able to deduct a large portion of her IVF expenses last year. She sent me this blog post way back when I thought we might pursue IVF: http://www.bufordbetty.com/2011/01/deducting-ivf-costs-on-your-tax-return.html

I was just curious so I looked at the IRS site and it appears that the change did take effect after December 31, 2012: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

[QUOTE=Yochana]
[B]MMP[/B] - I think it’s really smart to wait for your results before you make the next move. Are you going to talk to an RI?
[/QUOTE]
I am going to make an appointment with Dr. Braverman. His office is only a few blocks from mine and he happens to be [I]thee [/I]guy to go to for possible immune system issues. I’ve been reading about him on various TTC boards for years and that’s who Dr. Luk recommended: http://www.preventmiscarriage.com/About-Us.aspx

[QUOTE=MMP15]I was just curious so I looked at the IRS site and it appears that the change did take effect after December 31, 2012: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html[/QUOTE]

Ya, the 10% change did take effect. We were able to deduct medical expenses one year, the year my DH had a VR which we paid out of pocket for, but that was the only year. We probably won’t be able to this year, even with all the travel costs to NYC. I have been saving all my receipts and I need to add them up at some point, but I don’t think they will even reach $3000. It sounds like you had to spend a lot more in flights, hotels, etc, so hopefully you hit the mark. You cannot deduct the IVF expense, only stuff you paid for out of pocket and have a receipt for, because you know they can audit you and ask for those receipts. LOL.

I hope Dr. Braverman can help you, I hear the most amazing things about him. I was prepared to look into seeing him if this didn’t work for us.

[QUOTE=kcarey77]And, after my next IVF I will have spend 20K on infertility treatments so I think after all my business deductions I should meet the 10%. Thank God![/QUOTE]

I’m at about $22K and I haven’t done an FET yet. It’d be nice to get some of that back. :pray:

[B]Mami2b-[/B] That is awesome you have so many eggs this time around. That is very confusing that Dr. Zhang and Chang were disagreeing. What did you end up doing?

[B]Zoey-[/B] Holy high beta!!! :clap: That is awesome congrats girl! Good luck tomorrow on your second beta!:cross:

[B]Jaime-[/B] How’d your beta go yesterday? I have been thinking about you a lot lately. I know what beta h*ll feels like.

[B]Yochana-[/B] That makes sense about the placenta and the GDM. I did not realize they would be having you eat more carbs. I know most of the dietetic ppl I know are always trying to avoid carbs. I have found eating carbs low to no fat helps with the nausea. Protein kind of turns my stomach right now. I am obsessed with chocolate milk right now. I feel like it coats my belly and makes it happy, which seems odd I think. Dairy usually isn’t good for upset stomachs.

[B]MadeinNY-[/B] Good luck on your 1st FET on Monday or Tuesday :cross:

[B]Kcarey-[/B] How’d your chat go with Dr. Zhang? My prediction is he did not call when he said he was going to. Trust me I know how frustrating it is to blow money for nothing. My tube repair surgery cost 10 grand plus a trip to NC. That probably cost a grand for hotel, plane, rental car and food. Not to mention a major surgery that left with a 6 inch incisionon my bikini line and a long recovery. To wake up and find out the surgery was not really a success. It also most likely caused my recent ectopic rupture. I try not to dwell on it to much or I get angry at the doctor that recommended it. I guess everything is meant to happy for a reason (I always hated hearing this) I do believe it is true. I really think you will have success with your new RE. I will be praying you get a ton of eggs this time around and they all make it to blast.

[B]MMP-[/B] Still no fetal tissue results yet?

[B]Americanjavakitty-[/B] I am glad you have some help to move your room around. That is pretty crappy they only give you a day! No pressure or added stress lol. How are you feeling? Are you due around Nov?

[B]ALB-[/B] How are things going with you? How are you feeling?

[B]Marylander-[/B] Have you started telling people about your pregnancy? My jeans are feeling snug this week. They fit but they leave imprints and are not very comfortable. I am suprised bc I stepped on the scale and actually lost weight. I feel pretty bloated. I do not want to looked like one of those girls that sqeezes in her pants too long and looks like a stuff sausage.

[B]AFM-[/B] This might sound ridiculous but bed rest has made me super depressed. No one really knows I am pregnant so no one really has any idea why I fell off the face of the earth. I had to tell my cousin because I had to back out of her wedding since its only 2 months away and its a wedding we have to travel to. Plus I was supposed to do all 6 bridesmaid hair for the wedding. Which would mean we would leave at 5am to get to the venue to do hair and then the wedding would be all day long. I felt horrible backing out. I think I was more upset than she was lol. She took the news really well. I was just happy she did not go bridezilla on me.

It is also such an emotional mind f*ck to be gushing out blood every time I go to the bathroom. I find myself getting distant to being pregnant because of it. I keep reminding myself how lucky I am to actually be pregnant and I just have to tell myself to stay positive and everything will work out. Part of me wants to tell family and friends just so they understand why I went MIA. So they can understand I am not blowing them off. Another part of me feels like me telling them right now being on bed rest will take away from the excitement and it will be everyone asking questions and telling me they knew some who knew someone who had the same thing and then tell me horror stories.

My poor DH works 2 hours away and he is about to take his summer final and then classes start again in a week. Plus he is finishing the drywall upstairs in the nursery, which he has to get done now because next semester he will not have any time what so ever. He cannot handle picking up my slack. He is so stubborn and will not let anyone else help us. He finally caved in and is letting my mom help clean. His mom is dropping off some meals and my mom dropped off soup. My boss even stopped by a crock pot of chili. She also gave me some clothes she said I could probably wear to hide my pregnancy. I had no laugh because I am on bed rest I am not getting dressed up to sit in bed. I got an Email from NH today graduating me which is odd since they told me I should have one more US and then they will release me to my fetal maternal med doctor and OB. I ordered a doppler and it should hopefully get here next week. Monday I see my OB and Tuesday I see my RE for my final US with him and then Thursday I go for my second opinion at Upenn fetal maternal med doc.

Sorry for disappearing yesterday, but I had a rough day. As you all know, I’ve been doing “unofficial” betas at work in between the ones NH orders. Well yesterday one of my unofficial betas decreased. I was heartbroken. (and still had 5 hours left of my shift!) So I assumed this was the end for me. It went down to 45. Then my “official” beta went up to 47. I had to fess up to NH and tell them about my unofficial betas. They said that 15% of women have abnormal betas for 4-9 weeks. Also that the fact that it went down then back up could be because of my erratic sleep schedule. I’m testing again on Aug 5th and I’ve been ordered by hubby, “No more tests at work”. He NEVER tells me what to do, so I think he means business, lol! So until the 5th, NH & I are going to assume that I’m still in the game. I’m praying for a miracle.

[QUOTE=jaime21078]Sorry for disappearing yesterday, but I had a rough day. As you all know, I’ve been doing “unofficial” betas at work in between the ones NH orders. Well yesterday one of my unofficial betas decreased. I was heartbroken. (and still had 5 hours left of my shift!) So I assumed this was the end for me. It went down to 45. Then my “official” beta went up to 47. I had to fess up to NH and tell them about my unofficial betas. They said that 15% of women have abnormal betas for 4-9 weeks. Also that the fact that it went down then back up could be because of my erratic sleep schedule. I’m testing again on Aug 5th and I’ve been ordered by hubby, “No more tests at work”. He NEVER tells me what to do, so I think he means business, lol! So until the 5th, NH & I are going to assume that I’m still in the game. I’m praying for a miracle.[/QUOTE]

I’m glad you’re still in the game! I will continue to pray for you!

Megan- Thanks so much for the link on IVF- she was very helpful breaking down what you can/can’t write off. I will ask my accountant but I’m pretty sure we should be good. I keep receipts for everything! Tolls, gas, meds, medical bills. I’m an Independent Contractor so I write off everything! Hopefully this year I won’t have to pay taxes because of all the money we spent on medical.

Mami- OMG! $22k is a whole lot of money. I sure hope you get your THB on your next cycle!

EP- He is supposed to call between 3-5 today. To be honest, I’m not even interested in speaking to him. I’m slowly getting over their disregard for my tubal issues- I’m just ready to put it all behind me and move forward.
I hope you’re feeling better today. I know depression stinks and the more you sleep the more depressed you get so try to occupy your mind with a good book or something. Hopefully you won’t have to be on bed rest for too long.

[QUOTE=kcarey77]

Mami- OMG! $22k is a whole lot of money. I sure hope you get your THB on your next cycle!
[/QUOTE]

Thank you! DH and I have already decided our kids will be paying for their own college education as our money is spent already! I know it will all be worth it once I finally see our little creations. :flower:

eapatounas - I guess Dr. Chang won the battle because the nurse called and told me to continue Gonal F last night. Todays’ scan showed follies still aren’t quite at 20 yet so looks like I may stim 1 more day with ER on Sunday.

Jaime - Hang in there. :pray: for great results on the 5th. No more beta hell! :grouphug:

I graduated from new hope yesterday:cheer: To all those who got their BFP’s when did you stop your estrace and progesterone supplementation?NH asked me to stop the estrace yesterday when I graduated and left the progesterone to my obgyn. Was it the same for all?

Good luck to all those in your various stages…never lose hope and believe firmly that you will hold a baby in your hands soon and congrats to all the moms to be…!

[QUOTE=ashhoping]I graduated from new hope yesterday:cheer: To all those who got their BFP’s when did you stop your estrace and progesterone supplementation?NH asked me to stop the estrace yesterday when I graduated and left the progesterone to my obgyn. Was it the same for all?

Good luck to all those in your various stages…never lose hope and believe firmly that you will hold a baby in your hands soon and congrats to all the moms to be…![/QUOTE]

Yes they told me the same thing. My RE told me to just finish what crinone I have left which will take me to 12 weeks. He said crinone cannot hurt. Congrats we graduated together yesterday :cheer:

Jaime - Good to hear you are still in the game. I am praying your numbers will continue to go up.

Asshoping - congrats on your graduation. Do you know how many babies you are carrying?

Elizabeth - it’s hard sharing good news after so many disappointments. Good to have your mum and MIL around, I am sure they are going to spoil you! Enjoy.

Eap! I too graduated yesterday! I got the “official” paper work today :slight_smile: So exciting! My ultrasound went well… Baby is measuring a day ahead at 8 weeks 1 day, heart rate was 168. Putting in any guesses on what you’re having yet? I am starting to get a little energy back but have been continuously nauseous every day, on and off… My appetite is so decreased from “normal” it isn’t even funny, yet I had to buy belly bands because my pants/shorts are now too tight to button comfortably! I will happily take this sweet little baby bump I am getting though! I seriously couldn’t be any happier! It is still so surreal though! I am constantly worrying about every little thing… I am sure it is because of the recurrent losses… & I am sure it will never end! We’ve decided that were going to “officially” tell after my NT scan appointment at 11 weeks - we figure those ultrasound pics will be wonderful! Our parents, a few close friends and family members know… (because DH had a little too much to drink at a family wedding last weekend and spilled the beans about having a DD for the next 7 months! lol) Although, I was a little peaved… it was cute to see him excited about the baby. I am prayinggg your bed rest goes quickly! Do you have a fb? We could always chat to pass your time! Hope you & your little peanut are wonderful! xo

Ash - Congrats on graduation as well! Were all “finished” together! How cool :slight_smile:

Jaime - :pray: your beta keeps going up & your LO is just settling in! I agree with your DH, NO MORE BETAS at work! Don’t stress & enjoy being prego at this time momma! (I know, easier said than done)

AFM: Sorry for noy updating much, we were camping for 5 days! I will re-read through the thread to hear everyone’s updates later. As I said above, I too “officially” graduated yesterday after my u/s! :cheer: Baby was measuring a day ahead at 8 weeks 1 day with a heart rate of 168! & no more vaginal ultrasounds for this girl! Yesterday’s was external! Thank goodness! :slight_smile: I am so happy to have graduated but it is still so strange to not be under NH’s care anymore…

Now let the wait begin for my 11 week U/S at the NT scan! :clap:

Dr. Zhang left e message saying the reason I didn’t get pregnant was embryo quality BUT because my embryos made it to 5 days blasts he says he knows I will get pregnant. He said at age 35 I had a 50/50 chance and recommends mini IVF again.

Congrats on graduating ladies!!!

Question - is it safe to drink Chamomile tea? It normally helps me to sleep. I am getting contradicting answers on the Internet.

AFM - my 2nd beta was 489 today.

[B]ashhoping[/B] - Cograts on graduating!!

[B]alb [/B]- Congrats on your graduation as well! I know it’s hard to stay mad at the hubs, especially when he just can’t keep his happiness to himself! I couldn’t be mad at my hubs when he said unequivocally, “No more tests at work.” He never barks orders at me, but I could tell that it was only out of concern for me. He’s trying to keep me sane during all this craziness. And thank heavens for no more TV u/s!! Welcome to the wonderful world of cold, external goop, lol!

[B]kelly [/B]- At least Dr. Zhang gave you some encouraging words.

[B]zoey [/B]- Congrats on another great beta!!! Can you send some of that mojo my way, lol?!

[QUOTE=Yochana][B]Eapatounas[/B] - The finger sticking is going ok so far. I’ve only had a couple of tests that were close but still under my blood sugar goals. I feel like all I’m doing is tracking my food, when I eat, when to test, etc. My life right now feels like it’s revolving around GDM but it could be worse so no complaints. Congrats on job offer! Sounds like an excellent fit for you and for your life!

[B]Ejohnson[/B] - You’re so right that with everything on the internet there’s a good story and a bad one. Know that those measurements are very much user dependent. With mm and even cm when all you’re doing is clicking on a screen you can easily be off. I think that’s what happens when you’re measuring a day or two ahead at one appointment and then on time or behind at the next. Some techs and drs are less careful than others when taking them. Anyway, praying your US goes well Tuesday!

[B]lyly[/B] - Congrats on your twins! Very exciting news and I hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy!!

[B]1hope[/B] - Congrats on your twin GIRLS!! Has it hit your DH that he will be surrounded by women? :slight_smile: Maybe start adding a 2nd bathroom if you don’t have one already! lol

[B]waiting2bmum[/B] - YAY for passing your glucose screen!! Are you still on the prednisone and will you stay on the lovenox the whole time? It’s great that Dr. Chang really personalized your treatment and took a more aggresive approach. It’s frustrating not knowing if that was ‘the thing’ that made it work this time though. I’m 29weeks tomorrow. Time is starting to fly by!

[B]Dogparkdiva[/B] - Eek on your reaction!! Congrats on your last beta! It’s so nice that you’ll have your first US on your birthday!

[B]jaime[/B] - Sorry to hear you aren’t doubling as quickly as you should, but as others have mentioned that can happen with the second beta then it takes off. Praying that’s what you’ll do!

[B]Kitty[/B] - What a stressful weekend!! Heart stuff is always so scary. I hope they all feel better and you can relax.

[B]kcarey[/B] - I hated hearing that you didn’t get your bfp! I was really hoping you’d get good news yesterday. It sounds like you have a plan in place already though and I’ll bet you’ll be getting that positive soon! Hugs to you!!

[B]sugar-girl[/B] - Glad you arrived here safe, even if it wasn’t without it’s travel headaches. What day are you having your hystero?[/QUOTE]

Wow 29 weeks I can not wait until im that far along that is awesome. Yes I am still on prednisone currently weaning off this week. Lovenox my doctor wants me to stay on until 34-36wks but nh doesn’t see a reason why I should stay on that long I told them that my doctor wanted me to stay on for that long and they think I should of weaned off of it at 12 wks. Im going to get a second opinion.

Nothing wrong with a 2nd opinion…

Moving my classroom was NOT fun today, and it is only halfway done! GOD BLESS my DH because he seriously hauled rear to move all of my desks, chairs, and reading table. It was total hooey that janitors would help. Got some help, but not enough. Still have much more to do, but will have to go it alone, because this weekend is tax free weekend and he has to work all weekend and tomorrow. He’s a saint and had done too much already. He even hurt himself in the move (his leg) and I felt terrible. There’s more miserableness in the whole thing, but we’re just going to try to make the best of it and work it one day at a time.

Eapatounas, I totally understand how you feel. After losing one, it is hard to hope for the best, you kind of fear getting hurt. But you will make it through this, and when your little one starts moving in a few months and you can feel them you will feel a whole lot better! I hate to be bossy, but you need to TELL the people you care about. I’m talking family and very close non-blabber mouth friends. They can help with phone calls, visits, food, and cleaning until you feel better AND get the O.K. from the doc to be active again. Today a bunch of teachers descended on my room to move bunches of stuff and it is hard to express how thankful you are when someone comes to your aid just when you need it and feel so overwhelmed. We didn’t know they were going to do it. We just got there and found like all this stuff already switched between classes and we were thankful. However, you can say thanks, but it just doesn’t seem like enough. I know how you feel, as my DH and I are just like your DH and accepting help and especially asking for it isn’t something that we like to do either! But now is the time to send up the white flag and let your family care for you in the ways that will help you most. When you get better, you can return the favor!

Jaime, hope is a powerful thing, so don’t give up and quit testing!!! Let NH do their job because you are really adding a lot of stress to your plate by getting all of these numbers that show smaller gains because they are closer together than a normal beta would be. I’d say to try to cut back a little on work, put your feet up, and relax and just envision all the wonderful things you will do with your little one. That is what helped to hold me through my first month, I wouldn’t let negative thoughts take hold. I’d only let myself think of all the most wonderful things I looked forward to doing with my child and it really seemed to relax me and have a positive effect overall. It is so hard to, but try to cut back on your stress in any way you can.

Lots of hugs to all!

Sincerely, an exhausted Kitty!

[B]Jaime[/B] – I am sorry it has been such a roller coaster but so glad that the official beta went up. Keeping you in my thoughts.

[B]ashhoping[/B]- Congrats on your graduation. I was also told to stop estrace and talk to my OB about the crinone, which I meant to do on Tuesday but forgot because it was a new doctor and that threw me off a bit.

[B]Alb[/B]- Congrats on your graduation too!

[B]Mami[/B]- You should definitely be able to get a tax write off this year, unless you all make a ton of $.

[B]Kcarey[/B]- Dr. Zhang didn’t seem to helpful. No surprise there! I am so sorry. I think moving on is a good strategy. You better keep coming on here and telling us how your new cycle is going and everything. No joining a new group! LOL

[B]Zoey[/B]- according to my doctor that one is OK. Congrats on your great beta!!!

[B]Eapa[/B]- I agree with Kitty on this one, you need to tell some people about this pregnancy, people that can help you. Ya, it sucks to tell people and then if something goes wrong you have to tell them that too, but they can’t help if they don’t know. I am so sorry you are still bleeding. I want to drive up to PA and come sit with you. Maybe I will! I am glad your appointment with Penn is soon, they are so amazing, you will really feel like you are in good hands there (at least I hope). I have been switching back and forth with maternity clothes for weeks now. Some days I am just too bloated to wear regular pants. I am thankful to already have a lot of maternity pants. I have lost 3 lbs, but my stomach is getting bigger. And starting this week bigger like, not just bloat bigger.

[B]Kitty[/B]- How wonderful you got all that help with your classroom. I hope you are able to get it all done in time, seems like the school really should be the one doing it for you!

[B]AFM[/B]- I had an appointment on Tuesday and got a surprise ultrasound, I was not expecting that. I think my OB team is taking extra good care of me, but then I was surprised when they said my next appointment will be in 4 weeks. I thought I was going to be seen more than that. Maybe that is because my high risk doctor appointment is Aug. 15, as well as my NT scan. It cannot come soon enough! I am anxious to hear what my plan will be and to discuss my concerns. I am still super nervous about my Materni21 results, I hope I don’t have to wait 2 weeks for them. Anyway, the baby was moving around like a crazy acrobat! So different from my last super chill baby that was asleep at most of my ultrasounds. I think we may be in for a crazy ride with this one. I am also predicting a girl. Last time my intuition was right on, so I wonder if it is this time. I think the Materni21 test also gives gender results, so maybe I won’t have to wait until 20 weeks to find out.