New to IVF

Hi. I am new to this forum, but I really needed some encouragement tonight. At my last appt, the doc told us my husband has poor morphology and that our chances of conceiving natually is slim to none. They recommended IVF.

I have an appt with FIRM (Florida Institute of Reproductive Medicine) in 2 weeks. Any advice on what to expect or questions I should ask?

I have moments of calm, rational thought about all this news, interrupted by uncontrollable fits of crying.

Try To Relax

[quote=acmaxwell]Hi. I am new to this forum, but I really needed some encouragement tonight. At my last appt, the doc told us my husband has poor morphology and that our chances of conceiving natually is slim to none. They recommended IVF.

I have an appt with FIRM (Florida Institute of Reproductive Medicine) in 2 weeks. Any advice on what to expect or questions I should ask?

I have moments of calm, rational thought about all this news, interrupted by uncontrollable fits of crying.[/quote]

Welcome to the board! :welcome: Try to relax. The technology today is amazing which gives all of us on this board the opportunity to have children. They have ways of hleping your hubby to improve his count and get the good sperm that are in there. Look at me, I am VERY old and had little chance of a successful IVF…we are now pregnant with twins!!!

I would ask their success rate in your particular situation and what his count is. I was so scared at first but the whole experience was positive. Don’t worry it will work out.

Good Luck and let us know how your 1st appointment goes.

I know what a scary time it is for you guys but try and stay positive, it is AMAZING the things these docs. can do. I know it seems daunting but poor morphology is a relatively easy thing to overcome. With ICSI and other things they really only need one good sperm. You guys are in for a pretty stressful road and it will probably take longer than you would like but try and be patient and take good care of each other. Hopefully you’ll be holding a little one before you know it!

My DH has a low count along with poor motility and morphology. We were told IVF was our only option as well. Basically, when they placed the eggs and sperm in the dish - nothing happened. His “guys” didn’t care. So we’ve done ICSI everytime with decent success with developing embryo’s.

Best wishes to you!!!

Our situation was similar- except in addition to poor morphology, DH has low counts and low motility. Thank goodness for ICSI! Even with that, we got 8 embryos, and I’m 37!

Ask what type of protocol you will be on, what type of testing you have to do before you get started, how much (if any) will your insurance cover? Do they offer any shared risk plans, or package deals?

Good luck to you! I know it’s overwhelming, but it will be ok.

It is a shock when you find out you have to do IVF to conceive a baby. You probably want to ask the doctor, how many eggs they typically transfer, when they transfer (3 or 5 days), what their rate of birth is for your age group, and if they store frozen eggs in their facility. My husband has less than a 1 million count with low morph and motility. We wered successful with IVF.