NEW to IVF

Hello…I am new to this forum information but I feel that my husband and I have so many questions at this point that there had to be somewhere I could get my questions and anxiety out in the open about IVF. So I hope this helps!

I am 32yo and my husband is 38yo. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. I have PCOS and I have only one fallopian tube on the left side. No problems with my husband and his sperm motility etc.

We tried Clomid and timed intercourse: No success. We have tried 2 rounds of IUI with letrozole, Gonal F injections, and then Ovidrel: No success.

After each 2WW it is getting harder and harder to accept the information. We have been on an emotional roller coaster for several months now. We are now faced with the option of IVF. We are thinking of taking the summer off emotionally and then start back near the fall. Is this smart?

How do people afford IVF? Does it really cost $10-$15,000? How do so many people have multiple treatments? Can anyone give me any names of places they have used financially?

Those of you that have experienced IVF, is it worth the risk? I am just afraid that we will spend all this money and have nothing in the end. I just hope we make the right decision. My husband and I would like to have a baby so bad but we just are emotionally drained at this time and we are having a hard time with all of this.

Please offer any advice that you may have. Any perspective would be appreciated.

I personally think it’s worth the risk. In the 12 years it took before we grudgingly moved to IVF and finally got our miracle, we spent well over the cost of 3 or 4 IVFs (although, ironically, I did a study so my first IVF was free). I wish wish wish I could go back in time to when I was your age and jump to IVF when the odds are over 50% instead of the 5% I’m looking at now.

The costs of IVF can vary quite a lot from clinic to clinic. There are also lots of programs for someone your age (shared risk, etc.) that can really help make it more affordable. We bought a multi-cycle plan, which is ending up saving us between $6,000 and $10,000. Additional procedures can be additional (like ICSI and Assisted Hatching). Meds can also be insane depending on dosage and length of stimming (I’m on a very high dosage because of my age - my meds ran about $8,500 last cycle).

There are also lots of studies out there. Not many for totally free IVFs although there certainly are some, but lots with some sort of discount component.

There is also fertility financing. And low interest credit cards. And you can claim a deduction on your taxes if your medical expenses are more than 10% of your gross adjusted income for 2013.

Good luck!! I don’t type very eloquently, I’m sure someone will chime in with more and better information. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am not able to give any advice or information in regards to IVF because I have yet to cross that bridge (and hoping I won’t have to) but I wanted to welcome you and wish you all the best in this journey!

[QUOTE=trixie_chic9]Hello…I am new to this forum information but I feel that my husband and I have so many questions at this point that there had to be somewhere I could get my questions and anxiety out in the open about IVF. So I hope this helps!

I am 32yo and my husband is 38yo. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. I have PCOS and I have only one fallopian tube on the left side. No problems with my husband and his sperm motility etc.

We tried Clomid and timed intercourse: No success. We have tried 2 rounds of IUI with letrozole, Gonal F injections, and then Ovidrel: No success.

After each 2WW it is getting harder and harder to accept the information. We have been on an emotional roller coaster for several months now. We are now faced with the option of IVF. We are thinking of taking the summer off emotionally and then start back near the fall. Is this smart?

How do people afford IVF? Does it really cost $10-$15,000? How do so many people have multiple treatments? Can anyone give me any names of places they have used financially?

Those of you that have experienced IVF, is it worth the risk? I am just afraid that we will spend all this money and have nothing in the end. I just hope we make the right decision. My husband and I would like to have a baby so bad but we just are emotionally drained at this time and we are having a hard time with all of this.

Please offer any advice that you may have. Any perspective would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

If you feel you need to take some time off then I would definitely take some time off. IVF is very emotionally (and financially) draining and can be stressful and I would do it when you feel mentally ready.

There are some IVF doctors that have refund programs. One refund program is called Attain and there may be a doctor that offers it near you. Just go to their web site and search. :slight_smile: Other doctors may have their own refund programs too not affiliated with Attain but just in-office.

There is financing for IVF through medical loan companies…even banks. Credit cards (which you can earn things like miles and cash back on) and then, of course, you can write off everything like the pp said if it’s above a certain percentage of your gross income.

I do know that Springstone is one medical loan place but the way it works with them is they have to be affiliated with your doctor and then they will send the money directly to your RE. A lot of REs will partner with a financing company so you can ask them when you call.

I DO believe IVF is worth it as I already have one DS from an overstimmed combo cycle that got converted to IVF. I got incredibly lucky on that cycle I think too with everything that happened.

Some insurances cover up to 4 IVFs if you’re lucky to have insurance. If not there are loans and programs you can do.
As for IVF itself, it is emotionally draining, but when you want a baby so bad, you’ll push through anything. Be prepared that it might take more than round of IVF for it to be successful. It took me four tries. While each time was an emotional roller coaster, looking back, I obviously wouldn’t change anything because I have a beautiful daughter. If you keep a positive mindset through it all, you’ll be okay.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for your responses and support!

We have an appointment with my doctor on Monday to get further information… would any of you recommend changing doctors just to get better financing? I have been a patient of my doctor for over 6 years or more. I just feel like we would be starting all over if I were to change doctors.