New to IVF

Hello…I am new to this forum information but I feel that my husband and I have so many questions at this point that there had to be somewhere I could get my questions and anxiety out in the open about IVF. So I hope this helps!

I am 32yo and my husband is 38yo. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. I have PCOS and I have only one fallopian tube on the left side. No problems with my husband and his sperm motility etc.

We tried Clomid and timed intercourse: No success. We have tried 2 rounds of IUI with letrozole, Gonal F injections, and then Ovidrel: No success.

After each 2WW it is getting harder and harder to accept the information. We have been on an emotional roller coaster for several months now. We are now faced with the option of IVF. We are thinking of taking the summer off emotionally and then start back near the fall. Is this smart?

How do people afford IVF? Does it really cost $10-$15,000? How do so many people have multiple treatments? Can anyone give me any names of places they have used financially?

Those of you that have experienced IVF, is it worth the risk? I am just afraid that we will spend all this money and have nothing in the end. I just hope we make the right decision. My husband and I would like to have a baby so bad but we just are emotionally drained at this time and we are having a hard time with all of this.

Please offer any advice that you may have. Any perspective would be appreciated.

[quote=trixie_chic9]Hello…I am new to this forum information but I feel that my husband and I have so many questions at this point that there had to be somewhere I could get my questions and anxiety out in the open about IVF. So I hope this helps!

I am 32yo and my husband is 38yo. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 yrs. I have PCOS and I have only one fallopian tube on the left side. No problems with my husband and his sperm motility etc.

We tried Clomid and timed intercourse: No success. We have tried 2 rounds of IUI with letrozole, Gonal F injections, and then Ovidrel: No success.

After each 2WW it is getting harder and harder to accept the information. We have been on an emotional roller coaster for several months now. We are now faced with the option of IVF. We are thinking of taking the summer off emotionally and then start back near the fall. Is this smart?

How do people afford IVF? Does it really cost $10-$15,000? How do so many people have multiple treatments? Can anyone give me any names of places they have used financially?

Those of you that have experienced IVF, is it worth the risk? I am just afraid that we will spend all this money and have nothing in the end. I just hope we make the right decision. My husband and I would like to have a baby so bad but we just are emotionally drained at this time and we are having a hard time with all of this.

Please offer any advice that you may have. Any perspective would be appreciated.[/quote]

I am new to this forum as well. I believe many people have insurance coverage for IVF treatment, but I am not one of those lucky one. we have no infertility coverage at all. So the IVF treatment is really expensive for us. We chose Shady Grove’s shared risk program, it cost a flat fee of $22,000 but it allows up to 6 cycles. if we don’t have a live baby at the end of 6 cycle, they will refund us the $22,000. My husband and me took a loan to pay the $22,000, and save up money for the medications, which cost me $4000 at the first failed trial.

I did ask myself if it is worthy the risk. I know that I would regret the rest of my life if I don’t even try. So here we go, trying to prepare myself for the 2nd trail now.

I wish you good luck and we will soon get a :bfp: and :preg:

I took out extra student loans for ivf. We paid $12k plus meds for a 2 cycle package.

I’m sorry you are now faced with IVF. We did seven rounds of IUI and I really wish we had gone to IVF sooner. I think it was worth it and am so happy we did IVF but we were also successful our first round, so that might be coloring my opinion. Our insurance doesn’t cover any fertility treatments, which I think is very common. We were lucky enough to be able to afford paying everything out of pocket upfront (we took the money out of a savings account), which also gave us a discount. The center we went to is one of the least-expensive in the country, so that also helped (it’s about a mile away from our office, so it just turned out to be the most convienent). I’m sure their prices have gone up but we paid $6k for IVF, $750 for monitoring and they gave me donated meds, which saved us probably $3k.

If you are really concerned about spending the money and not coming out of it with a baby (a VERY VALID worry, I think we’ve all been there), maybe look into a shared risk program? They might be more expensive up-front (and make sure you see what is included, meds usually aren’t), but you will get some/all of your money back if you don’t have a baby. These programs usually have criteria you have to meet (they only accept people who have a good chance of getting pregnant), but they’re worth a look.

Best of luck.

I live in Canada where parts of the IVF treatement are supposedly covered by ohip (e.g. med. appointments, ultrasounds, blood tests, etc). Yet, the IVF still turns out to be more expensive than in States:( I will be paying around 12-14K for a single IVF. My clinic does not provide options of having multiple IVF cycles in a combo or any sort of refunds.
We have saved some $ and we can afford 1 or maybe even 2 IVFs. My health insurance doesn’t cover anything related to fertility (no drugs, no procedures).
Not sure how so many ppl afford multiple IVF. That’s like a 2nd mortgage.

Welcome to the boards! It is overwhelming having to go through all of this. Yes, it does really cost that much and honestly 10,000 seems pretty low, you would be lucky to get that price (unless you are not in the US).

We probably spent at least $40,000 on IVF treatments (including FET’s) and yes it was worth every dime of it!! We found that the easiest thing to do is get a loan from a bank (just a local one is fine).

We did get a “fertility loan” once from some company on the internet but they seemed pretty screwy and we ended up moving the money we owed (wish I could remember their name, but it was on our first attempt…probably 7 years ago!).

We also maxed out a few credit cards during the years. Of course that is not ideal, but at the time we would have done pretty much anything to have a baby. Although we have a lot of debt now, and not much money to work with on a monthly basis, we have two miracle little boys!!!

I have a lot of IVF info on my blog if you would like to check it out (link is in the signature). Good luck to you!!!

I live in Europe where the meds are covered (mostly) by national insurance but the treatment is not. We end up paying about 4000 dollars per IVF treatment. I have friends in the US who have used these shared risk programs and are very happy with it. I have endometriosis - and if I still lived in the US I am not sure I would qualify to enter - but I would look into it if I were you.

I too had done multiple IUIs prior to IVF, you can see from my signature. I wish we had moved to IVF sooner.
We were lucky on the first round, and thank god we have 6 frozen embryos if needed.
We paid 11,000 for a 50% money back gaurentee if we didnt have a baby after all our embryos were used, we got half the money back. There was a long list of criteria to meet to qualify.
We took out a 401k loan to pay for the IVF itself, and pay ourself back with interest. As for meds, we paid about $4000 out of pocket for them.
I wish you all the luck in the world

Ivf is a tiresome journey, in every possible way with no guarantee of reaching a destination, but one should be optimistic. I have seen many people who hit the end of their patience and then the door opened.
A friend of mine is pcos plus hormonal imbalance. Her husband is fine.her dr did not advise her for uiu nor ivf.what they did was gonal f150 every other day from day 3 of her period (I think).they were following egg growth and when ready, she was given hcg sshot.they had a timed intercourse. She got pregnant from the first. You shoyld ask your dr about this option as well.

Have you checked with your insurance. We were very lucky it’s covered up to 3x per live birth or up to 100K. So if we went 3 rounds with no live birth then we are done. If we get pregnant on any of the 3 and have a live birth we get another 3 up to 100k. They also covered meds with just co-pay. So our co-pay for IVF was $250 plus about $200 in co-pays for meds. We probably would not have done IVF if it was not covered. We have the money but I was not willing to take the risk.