New to the Forum and a Favor

Brace yourself, it is a long one! :slight_smile:

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Hello everyone! I’m new poster (long-time lurker) to this forum—so forgive me if I mess something up! :)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]When I was 15, my mom kept noticing that I was “always on my period” and took me to her doctor. Because of my age, the Dr. really didn’t want to do a lot of invasive tests, and just told me, “You’ll have a hard time trying to conceive, because your uterus is either tilted or shaped abnormally, which is why you’re periods are 3 weeks long. And when you do get pregnant, you’ll likely miscarry.” It didn’t bother me, because I was 15, but it’s always kind of been at the back of my mind. She put me on birth control to regulate my bleeding, and I’ve been on and off birth control for around 10 years. Earlier this year, I went in for my annual visit, and mentioned that DH and I would like to start TTC within a year[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My Dr. (same one as when I was 15) scheduled a few ultrasounds and the results showed that I have a bicornuate uterus with a septum. My dr. said that I might be able to get the septum removed, and from there we’d need to see how everything works out. I’m hoping to get fixed sometime next year—after I’ve completed my master’s degree. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]My DH and I are on our own private insurance which is a HSA with a high deductable, so we’re going to have to pay out of pocket. From what I understand the surgery isn’t too expensive, but adding in all the other out-of-pocket costs and it’ll be pretty hefty. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Trying to monitor my cycle is a pain, because I bleed for on and off for 3 weeks. We’ve been nervous about TTC, especially with everything down there and I’m a super control freak, and losing a pregnancy would kill me. I know we’re young—but I always hoped to be a young mom, and next year when I’m done with school seems like it would be the best time to start![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]As mentioned, I’m currently working on my master’s degree in American Studies and my focus is on online women’s communities. I’m mostly interested in infertility and blogging sites, especially as these are the things that I frequent most often for personal use. I needed to narrow down my research focus, and I thought since I lurk on infertility forums and blogs and this appears to be the one of the most meaningful women’s communities, I’d start here. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]If you have the time, I’d love to get some feedback about your online experiences with this forum. You can either respond to this thread or email me at [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][email protected][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]If you’re willing to answer any or all of these questions, I’d really appreciate it. My focus is a brand new area of study and my main goal is trying to show that online women’s communities are an important part of life for the women who use them. There are quite a few stuffy academics who don’t think that participating in an online community or forum is really that special or helpful, and I [I]know[/I] it is. Your responses will help me illustrate this. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]1)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]Why did you join this forum? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]2)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]How has participating in this forum helped you with support for infertility and TTC?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]How often do you post and respond on this forum? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]4)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]Would you say that you post and respond and equal amount of time as reading/“lurking.”[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]5)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]What acronyms do you use the most and what do the mean? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]6)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]Does your username have any significance? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]7)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]How often do you update your profile or signature? [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]8)[/SIZE] [/FONT][SIZE=3]Is there anything else important about this forum or your experience that you’d like to share? [/SIZE][/FONT]

whitney- do you want us to sign the consent as well? GREAT Master’s Thesis topic…i’m a MSN student myself and would love to help. let me know! -a-

Sorry I’ve been off the forum. I’ve had a death in the family that sort of derailed me for a few weeks. Yes, if you could sign the consent forum that would be wonderful!