New website ranks IVF clinics

This site ranks IVF clinics:

IVF Reports

They seem to use some combined index based on implantation rate (Quality Score), the number of transferred embryos (Safety Score), and how consistent the clinic has been in recent years (Consistency Score). I’m not precisely sure what the “SART Score” is, but I think it’s probably based on live birth per started cycle.

It seems their idea is to not reward clinics for transferring many embryos to increase success rates. Hence they use implantation rate instead of birth rate, while their safety score penalizes clinics that transfer more embryos.

It’s almost certainly based on SART data. Clinics that don’t report are not shown.

I think it must be pretty new. I have not seen it mentioned before.

Very interesting. It does some interesting things to the rankings. I know I used the # of embryos transferred in evaluating success rates, but I think a lot of people don’t factor that in, since they don’t necessarily mind the idea of multiples.

Wish they had a national ranking rather than just regions, esp. since my “region” is my state…

The issue I have is that number of cycle starts does not seem to matter. When you use percentages lto measure, it is easier for a clinic with low cycle starts to rank better than a clinic with say 3x or 4x the number of cycle starts. I can see some examples in these results.

E.g. If Clinic A only treated 10 women above age 37 and 6 of them got pregnant, while Clinic B treated 100 and 55 got pregnant, Clinic A is not better.

[quote=kimberf]Very interesting. It does some interesting things to the rankings. I know I used the # of embryos transferred in evaluating success rates, but I think a lot of people don’t factor that in, since they don’t necessarily mind the idea of multiples.

Wish they had a national ranking rather than just regions, esp. since my “region” is my state…[/quote]

I agree. It would also be nice if they would somehow factor in the frozen embryo cycles. I see they rate the donor frozen cycles but ignore the non-donor.